Author Topic: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread  (Read 34726 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2022, 10:50:55 AM »
Well what were you saying then?

That Brad Underwood hasn't coached on the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »
Pretty sure he was on the sideline coaching in 2009-2010 for the KSU cats in the elite 8
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
Pretty sure he was on the sideline coaching in 2009-2010 for the KSU cats in the elite 8

With that said, Brad Underwood hasn't been the head coach of a team playing a game on the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament.  0 for 5 (2 appearances vacated)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »
Leave it to 'dax to think Brad sucks, because he took a few garbage non P5 teams to the round of 32 and won a Big 10 title, but that 2nd weekend, man. He just doesn't have it in him. :ROFL: Dax's expectations in all things life is hilarious.

Only you believe that I'm saying that Brad sucks.

This is why I don't engage you anymore outside of the Pit, because you meltdown at every possible self perceived slight of everything you're a fanboy of . . .

Fire up multiple WackyTowny meltdown posts in 3-2-1 . . .
lol

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
Quote from: athletic
Call List
(in alphabetical order)

Dana Ford, Missouri State head coach. The 37-year-old already has two successful rebuild jobs in the books. While Kansas State isn’t in dire need of a gut rehab, per se, it’s clear Ford can push the right buttons to bring a new energy into the building effectively. He also took Missouri State from 199th in adjusted offensive efficiency to 25th in four seasons. If the administration believes good offense is the way to counter the suffocating defenses in the Big 12, it could be a selling point.

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa head coach. He’s a five-time Missouri Valley coach of the year, taking home the honors in two of the last three seasons, who’s won 61 percent of his games in his 16 seasons there. The Panthers won the league in both of those seasons, with the 2019-20 offense circling the top 25 in the efficiency rankings and this year’s attack rating just outside the top 50 nationally. He’s also just 51. Either Jacobson is content where he is forever, or he’s going to have to look hard at a power-conference gig like this at some point.

Tim Jankovich, SMU head coach. He was a four-year starter for the Wildcats and — albeit decades ago — spent a couple seasons on the sideline as an assistant. Ultimately, here’s guessing the 62-year-old Jankovich doesn’t want to wait around to see what the AAC looks like after realignment sends some of its programs to the Big 12. He’d have the momentum from his best season yet at SMU behind him. The question is whether other options look more appealing for the long term.

Grant McCasland, North Texas head coach. A 45-year-old Scott Drew protégé who has won 20 or more games in five out of six seasons as a head coach, coming off two straight NCAA Tournament berths for the Mean Green. That sounds like a pretty solid option for shaking up the vibe in Manhattan. North Texas fielded a top 20-level defense this winter, and playing at an elite level on that end is almost a prerequisite for Big 12 teams at this point.

Jerome Tang, Baylor associate head coach. At some point, the right job will come along for Tang, Scott Drew’s top lieutenant for the entirety of the rebuild in Waco. The ability to work the same recruiting footprint would be a plus. And it’s unlikely competing against his former boss would be a non-starter. The real question is whether Tang and the people advising him believe this is a good enough landing spot to give up a good thing at Baylor.

Mark Turgeon, former head coach, Maryland. It wouldn’t be easy for a former Kansas player and assistant to switch over to the other side, but power conference opportunities don’t come around that often, and Turgeon would be an excellent fit. His ties to the state also include a successful seven-year stint as head coach at Wichita State, and his Big 12 bona fides include his tenure at Texas A&M from 2007-11, before that school joined the SEC. The larger question for Turgeon may be whether he wants to jump back into the rat race following his difficult exit from Maryland. At the very least, Kansas State should give him a call.

The smart money is on…
McCasland. He has done an outstanding job in Denton, and his pedigree from Baylor provides additional luster. McCasland has shown at North Texas that he can beat teams with limited talent. He’ll have better players at Kansas State. — Seth Davis

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2022, 11:25:30 AM »

Well what were you implying then?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »
I’d kill 3 drifters to get G Mac.  He is going to have multiple P5 offers as they say.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2022, 11:31:36 AM »
Quote from: athletic
Call List
(in alphabetical order)

Dana Ford, Missouri State head coach. The 37-year-old already has two successful rebuild jobs in the books. While Kansas State isn’t in dire need of a gut rehab, per se, it’s clear Ford can push the right buttons to bring a new energy into the building effectively. He also took Missouri State from 199th in adjusted offensive efficiency to 25th in four seasons. If the administration believes good offense is the way to counter the suffocating defenses in the Big 12, it could be a selling point.

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa head coach. He’s a five-time Missouri Valley coach of the year, taking home the honors in two of the last three seasons, who’s won 61 percent of his games in his 16 seasons there. The Panthers won the league in both of those seasons, with the 2019-20 offense circling the top 25 in the efficiency rankings and this year’s attack rating just outside the top 50 nationally. He’s also just 51. Either Jacobson is content where he is forever, or he’s going to have to look hard at a power-conference gig like this at some point.

Tim Jankovich, SMU head coach. He was a four-year starter for the Wildcats and — albeit decades ago — spent a couple seasons on the sideline as an assistant. Ultimately, here’s guessing the 62-year-old Jankovich doesn’t want to wait around to see what the AAC looks like after realignment sends some of its programs to the Big 12. He’d have the momentum from his best season yet at SMU behind him. The question is whether other options look more appealing for the long term.

Grant McCasland, North Texas head coach. A 45-year-old Scott Drew protégé who has won 20 or more games in five out of six seasons as a head coach, coming off two straight NCAA Tournament berths for the Mean Green. That sounds like a pretty solid option for shaking up the vibe in Manhattan. North Texas fielded a top 20-level defense this winter, and playing at an elite level on that end is almost a prerequisite for Big 12 teams at this point.

Jerome Tang, Baylor associate head coach. At some point, the right job will come along for Tang, Scott Drew’s top lieutenant for the entirety of the rebuild in Waco. The ability to work the same recruiting footprint would be a plus. And it’s unlikely competing against his former boss would be a non-starter. The real question is whether Tang and the people advising him believe this is a good enough landing spot to give up a good thing at Baylor.

Mark Turgeon, former head coach, Maryland. It wouldn’t be easy for a former Kansas player and assistant to switch over to the other side, but power conference opportunities don’t come around that often, and Turgeon would be an excellent fit. His ties to the state also include a successful seven-year stint as head coach at Wichita State, and his Big 12 bona fides include his tenure at Texas A&M from 2007-11, before that school joined the SEC. The larger question for Turgeon may be whether he wants to jump back into the rat race following his difficult exit from Maryland. At the very least, Kansas State should give him a call.

The smart money is on…
McCasland. He has done an outstanding job in Denton, and his pedigree from Baylor provides additional luster. McCasland has shown at North Texas that he can beat teams with limited talent. He’ll have better players at Kansas State. — Seth Davis

Other than Ford, McCasland, and Tang, this list can eff itself. Good thing that it's been established that Seth Davis doesn't know jack crap.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »

Well what were you implying then?

Did you skip the part where I discuss how a programs brand is built in the NCAA tourney?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2022, 11:32:39 AM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
I did not. Your point isn’t very clear to me.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2022, 11:37:52 AM »
The problem with certain people on this blog have is that if you mention a component of reality, and Brad Underwood's relative overall lack of success in the NCAA tourney to date is a factual reality.    They immediately jump in and assume that I am saying Brad Underwood sucks.   It's hard to pin down, but possibly a hybrid of OCD and Catastrophising on the part of these people. 

I would be thrilled if Brad Underwood came to K-State, he's probably not going to, but that doesn't change the reality that Brad Underwood has not coached a single minute in the head coaching role during the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney.

I believe a programs brand is built in the NCAA tourney.   Schools can pile up conference titles all day long and twice on Sunday and the general college basketball fan DNGAF.   Nor do many recruits.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:45:10 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2022, 11:45:57 AM »
I don’t see how that takes away from his coaching ability. He’s only had 2 shots at it with p5 programs. He’s at least won some games.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2022, 11:47:31 AM »
I don’t see how that takes away from his coaching ability. He’s only had 2 shots at it with p5 programs. He’s at least won some games.

We'll see, I like Brad, and cheer for him.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/garyparrishcbs/status/1501764914985283587?s=21

Apparently the funeral he had for Bill Self at Illinois wasn't enough, he now informed us that the hair that KU fans, very ironically, thinks is funny, is a protest against Self not getting sanctioned by the NCAA. And he absolutely was talking about Bill Self and maybe Dana Altman and Will Wade, those are the only three coaches who haven't been fired or had their programs sanctioned yet.

Glad I finally listened to that whole thing.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
The problem with certain people on this blog have is that if you mention a component of reality, and Brad Underwood's relative overall lack of success in the NCAA tourney to date is a factual reality.    They immediately jump in and assume that I am saying Brad Underwood sucks.   It's hard to pin down, but possibly a hybrid of OCD and Catastrophising on the part of these people. 

I would be thrilled if Brad Underwood came to K-State, he's probably not going to, but that doesn't change the reality that Brad Underwood has not coached a single minute in the head coaching role during the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney.

I believe a programs brand is built in the NCAA tourney.   Schools can pile up conference titles all day long and twice on Sunday and the general college basketball fan DNGAF.   Nor do many recruits.
When your whole posting persona is to point out everyone's deficiencies first, it's really hard to take you serious, but go off, King!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2022, 12:20:59 PM »
go off, King!
Take it to the pet peeve thread

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:03 PM »
Someone should tag gottlieb so he can chime in

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2022, 12:35:54 PM »
Weber and gottlieb in a ft-shooting contest where the winner pays ben_ji’s bud.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2022, 12:37:31 PM »
3 of Brad's appearances were at a mid-major and 1 was his first year after taking over for a fired coach.  He overachieved by making the tournament with some of those teams and further overachieved by upsetting higher-seeded teams in the first round.

If he misses the second weekend this year, I can understand the criticism.  So far, last year is really the only season that missing the Sweet 16 could be seen as disappointing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »
Weber and gottlieb in a ft-shooting contest where the winner pays ben_ji’s bud.

:lol:

oscar would wax them both