Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 33375 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #925 on: June 29, 2023, 11:21:28 PM »
i only invested a few minutes to investigate, but afaict, this account is real and the tweet is sincere.

https://twitter.com/ericareport/status/1674453321078415362

100% Lib catfishing, and pretty heavy handed too. If this person was who they say they are their phone would have been blowing up today. Pretty obvious, libs are the actual racists tweet. The blue checkmarks at the top of the replies didn't waste time parroting this talking point. Check the replies here.

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1674589821942022145

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 29, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »
Got damn white people

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions-statistics

You do realize that's where the 306 number I posted came from, right?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 29, 2023, 11:42:33 PM »
There really aren’t too many schools where “legacy” is even a thing that factors into admission at all.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 29, 2023, 11:47:55 PM »
100% Lib catfishing, and pretty heavy handed too.

my mistake.  i was fooled by her tweet apologizing for this tweet.  should have realized a genuine account would have deleted at the same time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 29, 2023, 11:51:29 PM »
There really aren’t too many schools where “legacy” is even a thing that factors into admission at all.

like our beloved alma mater, most universities have limited opportunity to discriminate in admissions on any axis because they are not selective.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: June 30, 2023, 12:34:59 AM »
guys, it's good to not discriminate based on race or ethnicity.

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1674501711610671125

Yes
It’s not discrimination. There is a very good reason for schools (and employers) to seek diversity in their classes. This idea of a meritocracy is pretty silly when you actually think about it.
Well said.

It’s still discrimination whether or not you believe the ends justify the means. It’s a form of discrimination it appears that you agree with.

Just be honest about it.

I’ll read the next couple pages when I can, but I’ll return to this.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 30, 2023, 02:42:22 AM »

like our beloved alma mater, most universities have limited opportunity to discriminate in admissions on any axis because they are not selective.

:thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 30, 2023, 06:02:45 AM »
The entire discourse is around Ivy League schools, which again is very telling. This isn’t about access to “education” it is about how we gatekeep access to the elite.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 30, 2023, 06:52:29 AM »
This crap was getting out of control and needed to be reined in.

https://twitter.com/MichaelSteele/status/1674556118738120705

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 30, 2023, 08:38:10 AM »
Sarah Huckabee Sanders -- noted civil rights activist and interpreter of MLK Jr's intellectual legacy:

https://twitter.com/SarahHuckabee/status/1674507630188851214?s=20

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 30, 2023, 09:09:09 AM »

except for the rich people who are donors and their white kids.  Not a huge number but still a number

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 30, 2023, 09:51:41 AM »
Two very dumb universities, brazen in every regard in their discrimination got called out and got their ass handed to them.

Everything I've read thus far indicates that both believed to their core they would never-ever be called on what they were doing.

Anyone who has paid even a modicum of attention to the fine print of alleged more selective universities knows that many give themselves a myriad of loopholes to their own public facing admissions standards.  I suspect that both Harvard and UNC-CH could have made extremely basic policy changes that would have been defensible in every way, and instead they chose the blunt force discrimination path and got called on it.

I maintain that our world needs many more people of the type that graduate from programs offered at schools like K-State then we need Harvard Humanities and Social Sciences alums. 45.5% of the Harvard Class of '26 are in Humanities and Social Sciences.   The remaining are spread out over STEM oriented, with 6% undecided.  I would much prefer that our prestigious universities flip that number.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 30, 2023, 10:15:55 AM »
Two very dumb universities, brazen in every regard in their discrimination got called out and got their ass handed to them.

Everything I've read thus far indicates that both believed to their core they would never-ever be called on what they were doing.

Anyone who has paid even a modicum of attention to the fine print of alleged more selective universities knows that many give themselves a myriad of loopholes to their own public facing admissions standards.  I suspect that both Harvard and UNC-CH could have made extremely basic policy changes that would have been defensible in every way, and instead they chose the blunt force discrimination path and got called on it.

I maintain that our world needs many more people of the type that graduate from programs offered at schools like K-State then we need Harvard Humanities and Social Sciences alums. 45.5% of the Harvard Class of '26 are in Humanities and Social Sciences.   The remaining are spread out over STEM oriented, with 6% undecided.  I would much prefer that our prestigious universities flip that number.
Maybe yet another common ground topic between us, old friend Dax!

I only slightly disagree…as a worthless state land grant school liberal arts undergraduate degree holder, I have this notion that the only people who have any business pursuing liberal arts degrees are those at the elite schools.  The rest of us normal humans need to focus on vocational degrees in undergrad lest we be chained to student loan debt that we are unable to service.  Of course, if you come from an affluent family and are already financially independent, knock yourself out and major in Philosophy at K-State if you want.

I tell my kids “you are not affluent, and you are not going to get into Harvard, so get a vocational/STEM degree.” 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 30, 2023, 10:47:29 AM »
I tell my kids to marry rich

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 30, 2023, 11:07:48 AM »
It’s amusing how important you guys think Ivy League skools are to someone attaining wealth

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 30, 2023, 11:23:32 AM »
It’s amusing how important you guys think Ivy League skools are to someone attaining wealth

certainly doesn't hurt

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 30, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »
The entire discourse is around Ivy League schools, which again is very telling. This isn’t about access to “education” it is about how we gatekeep access to the elite.

Very true, and another example of true elites keeping the rest of us at each others throats
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 30, 2023, 11:33:03 AM »
Wealth and elite status are not quite the same thing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 30, 2023, 11:36:15 AM »
lol at people who have never been to Massachusetts thinking this is only about money

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 30, 2023, 12:13:26 PM »
So who puts themselves forward as a plaintiff in a case like this and what kind of attorney chooses to represent them? "Yes I beat my wife and kids and as a person who engages in violence against the vulnerable, I believe that I should have full access to the deadliest sorts of weapons:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1674811612291649543?s=20

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: June 30, 2023, 12:15:02 PM »
I think including the applicant's race as part of the formula lends itself pretty easily to "discrimination based on race," but in the context of access to higher education (especially, especially to law schools), I think it's OK and should be encouraged.  I'd be all for a straight quota system if that's what it took. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 30, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »
I think including the applicant's race as part of the formula lends itself pretty easily to "discrimination based on race," but in the context of access to higher education (especially, especially to law schools), I think it's OK and should be encouraged.  I'd be all for a straight quota system if that's what it took.

You say this knowing that California v. Bakke made quotas plainly unconstitutional. So, you're not really sticking your neck out, here.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 30, 2023, 01:25:21 PM »
lol at people who have never been to Massachusetts thinking this is only about money

What are the other non monetary benefits of attending an elite school?  I’m assuming political aspirations.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 30, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »

What are the other non monetary benefits of attending an elite school?  I’m assuming political aspirations.

wouldn't you like to know....

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 30, 2023, 01:37:21 PM »

yes obviously two very dumb universities

spot on as always dax