Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 31678 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #950 on: June 30, 2023, 01:38:31 PM »
lol at people who have never been to Massachusetts thinking this is only about money

What are the other non monetary benefits of attending an elite school?  I’m assuming political aspirations.
You get to set the woke agenda.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 30, 2023, 01:41:21 PM »
lol at people who have never been to Massachusetts thinking this is only about money

What are the other non monetary benefits of attending an elite school?  I’m assuming political aspirations.
You get to set the woke agenda.
crush pelts on the vineyard too

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 30, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »

This is super vague, and pretty much leads directly back to monetary benefits, but I would say that the number one reason to attend an elite school is network and access to opportunities via that network.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 30, 2023, 02:12:18 PM »
Doctors are well compensated but they also have immense social status that sets them apart from say a guy that runs a successful car dealership and makes the same amount of money. This isn’t hard people.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 30, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »
doctors are dweebs.  Source: my CC

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 30, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »
So who puts themselves forward as a plaintiff in a case like this and what kind of attorney chooses to represent them? "Yes I beat my wife and kids and as a person who engages in violence against the vulnerable, I believe that I should have full access to the deadliest sorts of weapons:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1674811612291649543?s=20

magas who like to beat women because it makes them feel tough also like to have guns for that same reason.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 30, 2023, 02:50:20 PM »
doctors are dweebs.  Source: my CC
Well sure but it is an example. Power and prestige and privilege and access are all part of it in addition to cash flow.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 30, 2023, 05:01:03 PM »
 :party:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1674789036718952450

unfortunately, the biden admin is a hardened criminal with no respect for the rule of law and is already openly plotting to do the same crime again.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1674873233495949313
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 30, 2023, 05:20:54 PM »

Social status, family rep

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 30, 2023, 05:22:42 PM »
So who puts themselves forward as a plaintiff in a case like this and what kind of attorney chooses to represent them? "Yes I beat my wife and kids and as a person who engages in violence against the vulnerable, I believe that I should have full access to the deadliest sorts of weapons:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1674811612291649543?s=20

Big news for a large collection of LARP'ing Fantasy Cosplaying Locked and Loaders and their MAGABlaster2000 ambitions

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: June 30, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »
For the record, I am against race based preferential admissions for colleges and universities. They don't make any sense and their ongoing legacy isn't providing more opportunities, you saw the numbers in Michael Steele tweet. The legacy of affirmative action in secondary education admissions is that it provided an avenue for racists to minimize the accomplishments of black and Hispanic people.

That being said I absolutely believe in affirmative action in employment and race based preferential policies in housing and heath care

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 30, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »
For the record, I am against race based preferential admissions for colleges and universities. They don't make any sense and their ongoing legacy isn't providing more opportunities, you saw the numbers in Michael Steele tweet. The legacy of affirmative action in secondary education admissions is that it provided an avenue for racists to minimize the accomplishments of black and Hispanic people.

That being said I absolutely believe in affirmative action in employment and race based preferential policies in housing and heath care
I think a diverse student body is incredibly desirable as part of a college education experience (and ultimately better for the country as a whole). I have no qualms with “preferential admissions” if they result in greater diversity. It just seems like that has not really been the case.

My answer would probably be to put way less emphasis on GPA and standardized tests, both of which are gameable at best and arguably influenced by systemic racism.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 30, 2023, 07:09:59 PM »
Several news outlets are reporting a 6-3 SCOTUS decision that allows businesses to discriminate against LGBTQ people. If that’s true, well, I would be surprised.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #963 on: June 30, 2023, 07:19:54 PM »
CRA is going down soon enough, possibly in our lifetime even.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 30, 2023, 07:24:20 PM »

I think a diverse student body is incredibly desirable as part of a college education experience (and ultimately better for the country as a whole). I have no qualms with “preferential admissions” if they result in greater diversity. It just seems like that has not really been the case.

My answer would probably be to put way less emphasis on GPA and standardized tests, both of which are gameable at best and arguably influenced by systemic racism.

i mean, way less gameable that everything else.

i'd also push back on the idea that universities (at least ones that reject 19 out of 20 applicants) can't and haven't engineered pretty much exactly the diversity that they want.  if you look at incoming classes at harvard, they hit within like 1-2% of the same %s of black, latino, asian and white student each year.  extremely unlikely that is by chance (btw, incoming freshmen classes are like 15% black, i think the figures steele mentions must include grad and professional students).

i skimmed through this paper, which has a lot of interesting stuff on harvard admissions.  one of the interesting points was that, within every racial/ethnic group, the addition of the "holistic" measures results in a wealthier cohort than if academic measures were used alone.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w26316/w26316.pdf
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 30, 2023, 07:33:02 PM »
I think it is weird everyone cares about which tiny slice of the 4% of students that get accepted to Harvard when they have a $50 billion endowment and could easily build the infrastructure to serve twice as many students without breaking a sweat or even changing much. Why not double or triple the people that get to play meritocracy squid games?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 30, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »
There really aren’t too many schools where “legacy” is even a thing that factors into admission at all.
The entire discourse is around Ivy League schools, which again is very telling. This isn’t about access to “education” it is about how we gatekeep access to the elite.

Yeah, and that plenty of white people feel it's important to exclude black and brown people.

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1674532525069197322

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 30, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »
it has been interesting to watch the conversation both on twitter and here, blithely determined to pretend the issue is about white and black, all but completely ignoring the asian americans that were discriminated against.  it's forever 1866 in america.

https://twitter.com/jaycaspiankang/status/1674916609071386625

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 30, 2023, 08:10:26 PM »
it has been interesting to watch the conversation both on twitter and here, blithely determined to pretend the issue is about white and black, all but completely ignoring the asian americans that were discriminated against.  it's forever 1866 in america.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/harvard-admits-record-number-asian-american-students-black-latino-admi-rcna77923

Where is the outrage about legacy admissions? Not here.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 30, 2023, 08:17:46 PM »

The elitism factory perspective is the only one that makes sense to me. (I think talking about merit-based stuff here ends up being incoherent/contradictory.) And from EFP, they're overrepresented.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 30, 2023, 08:32:40 PM »

That’s because if you knew anything at all about the group behind this litigation and its zealous financier and leader, you’d know it was not really about Asian-Americans. They were merely used as a test case.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 30, 2023, 09:28:33 PM »
Saw an asian lady wearing her harvard shirt after work today.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 30, 2023, 10:20:09 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/harvard-admits-record-number-asian-american-students-black-latino-admi-rcna77923

Where is the outrage about legacy admissions? Not here.

i don't really understand why people think the legacy whatabout is persuasive, but in this case i also don't understand the pairing of your caption and the article you linked.  that article discusses legacy and other preferred admits and quotes extensively from a person making the point that those preferred admits act contra to racial preferences for black and latino students (and both have the effect of reducing the number of asian admits).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 30, 2023, 10:25:42 PM »
That’s because if you knew anything at all about the group behind this litigation and its zealous financier and leader, you’d know it was not really about Asian-Americans. They were merely used as a test case.

i cannot adequately express how condescending and myopic it is for your reaction to an article noting how asians are being all but ignored in the discussion of a lawsuit brought by asians, which alleged and convincingly proved that asians were discriminated against, to be that the litigation is not really about asian americans.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 30, 2023, 11:01:19 PM »

i cannot adequately express how condescending and myopic it is for your reaction to an article noting how asians are being all but ignored in the discussion of a lawsuit brought by asians, which alleged and convincingly proved that asians were discriminated against, to be that the litigation is not really about asian americans.

I’ve been following this case for a decade and know what’s really driving it. You, sir, are naive.