Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 33377 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #900 on: June 29, 2023, 07:56:51 PM »
guys, it's good to not discriminate based on race or ethnicity.

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1674501711610671125

Yes
It’s not discrimination. There is a very good reason for schools (and employers) to seek diversity in their classes. This idea of a meritocracy is pretty silly when you actually think about it.
Well said.

It’s still discrimination whether or not you believe the ends justify the means. It’s a form of discrimination it appears that you agree with.

Just be honest about it.
Having an “admissions office” is discrimination by definition. Be honest about it.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 29, 2023, 08:00:18 PM »

Yes
It’s not discrimination. There is a very good reason for schools (and employers) to seek diversity in their classes. This idea of a meritocracy is pretty silly when you actually think about it.
Well said.

It’s still discrimination whether or not you believe the ends justify the means. It’s a form of discrimination it appears that you agree with.

Just be honest about it.
Having an “admissions office” is discrimination by definition. Be honest about it.

Yes.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 29, 2023, 08:02:29 PM »
The discrimination was an opportunity for Kansas State to extend full rides to highly accomplished students. Does anyone know if K-State took advantage of that situation?

It’s not discrimination unless we say it is . . . #blueanon

The meritocracy must end unless we need the meritocracy/credentialocracy to support our political ideology and preferred  policies . . . #blueanon

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 29, 2023, 08:06:10 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.
Discrimination typically connotes something unfair about the process. If your gripe is that colleges shouldn’t have any selection criteria then go off I guess.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 29, 2023, 08:11:07 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.
Discrimination typically connotes something unfair about the process. If your gripe is that colleges shouldn’t have any selection criteria then go off I guess.
I’m pretty sure we can all agree they attempt to discriminate on intellectual ability at least.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 29, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

Imo the simple formula of test scores + GPA is more fair than test scores + GPA + race, gender, etc.

Also imo Harvard has the right to discriminate however it wants.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #906 on: June 29, 2023, 08:13:51 PM »
I'm not sure if KSU has changed all that much, but they gave about zero fucks about getting minority students to attend.  You could have a 1500+ SAT and 4.0 GPA and be a "legacy" and they still wouldn't bother to try to recruit you.  I assume the hostility was instilled from the top.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 29, 2023, 08:22:50 PM »
As the trophy spouse of a former pat bosco ksu admissions rep I can assure you the focus was squarely on casting the widest rough ridin' net you can even imagine and indiscriminately begging any and every kid to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 29, 2023, 08:23:34 PM »
I'm not sure if KSU has changed all that much, but they gave about zero fucks about getting minority students to attend.  You could have a 1500+ SAT and 4.0 GPA and be a "legacy" and they still wouldn't bother to try to recruit you.  I assume the hostility was instilled from the top.
Sounds excruciatingly anecdotal.

Do you have anything beyond your weird brain to back this statement up?

Is Kansas State University of Agriculture and the Applied Sciences located in a state that’s part of the Cracker Belt Quadrangle a particularly desirable destination for minority students?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 29, 2023, 08:24:17 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

Imo the simple formula of test scores + GPA is more fair than test scores + GPA + race, gender, etc.

Would you feel the same way if the tests they used statistically favored one or two races over others?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #910 on: June 29, 2023, 08:26:38 PM »
Of course I haven't collected any data, it's "anecdotal".

KU actually seemed to try though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 29, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »
Of course I haven't collected any data, it's "anecdotal".

KU actually seemed to try though.
Okay, well then 1000% a Chongs drive by.

Nothing to see here people.

Chong’s a catastrophe/BAC level poster

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 29, 2023, 08:40:44 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

Would you feel the same way if the tests they used statistically favored one or two races over others?

I don’t believe standardized tests are unfair or favor one over the other. If I thought a practice was unfair, I’d disagree with it.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 29, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »
As the trophy spouse of a former pat bosco ksu admissions rep I can assure you the focus was squarely on casting the widest rough ridin' net you can even imagine and indiscriminately begging any and every kid to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn straight, and led to the largest KSU cats enrollment in history

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 29, 2023, 08:44:30 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

What about socioeconomic status? What if the student would have had better test scores if they had access to test prep materials?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: June 29, 2023, 08:56:30 PM »
Breaking the quote string,  cause it’s getting pretty huge. I understand your arguments guys, I just disagree. I disagree that the type of discrimination you’re advocating for is better for anyone.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 29, 2023, 08:57:48 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

I don’t believe standardized tests are unfair or favor one over the other. If I thought a practice was unfair, I’d disagree with it.
Well here’s one thing on it: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/sat-math-scores-mirror-and-maintain-racial-inequity/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 29, 2023, 08:58:46 PM »

Yes
Well said.

Just be honest about it.

Yes.

You don't believe? Do you not believe because you think the several studies that show standardized tests are biased aren't real, or did you form this opinion on nothing more than your feeling, or something else.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 29, 2023, 09:09:56 PM »
Whether or not anyone thinks standardized tests are biased is actually irrelevant because anyone who thinks college admissions should be based on a simple formula of test scores and GPA either has no concept of how colleges and universities work or are on heavy pharmaceuticals, or both.

First of all, doing that would absolutely kill competition. Second, students have so much more to offer universities other than test scores and grades. Elite schools do and will continue to look at the whole student because a school full of book nerds with no social skills and no ambition to do anything other than study creates a place that no one wants to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend. Even the most elite schools, Harvard isn't one, like MIT and Harvey Mudd sell student life to prospective students. These schools, again more than the Ivys, absolutely care about academic accomplishments, but as a means to judge that they're up for the rigor, not as a sole means for admission, that's crazy and there isn't an admissions office in America that would actual want that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 29, 2023, 09:19:16 PM »
BTW, for those keeping score at home, there were a whole 306 black students in Harvard's '22-'23 freshman class.

The Asians who brought this lawsuit will be very disappointed to compare this number to the numbers of black students in the '25-'26 class. The white man who recruited the Asian student for this lawsuit will continue to cackle while rolling a blunt because the three niggers who get preferential admission every year gets the blame from mayo merchants every year while the number of Asian admissions stay exactly where they are now because the true reason for more Asians not getting in, legacy admissions, doesn't get touched or even scrutinized by people who matter. The hoarding of wealth and power continues while the people who should be bonding together to fight it have been successfully been placed assist each other.

YAY! :emawkid:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 29, 2023, 09:37:28 PM »
#chiefblueanonracist in residence never disappoints

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 29, 2023, 09:52:54 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 29, 2023, 10:15:00 PM »
I was overly simplistic earlier. Obviously a holistic approach to considering student admissions is preferable. Generally speaking, it is not preferable to discriminate for or against anyone based on sex, race, religion, etc. in these admissions.

Imo it’s better for students to study at schools and with classmates that better match their aptitudinal and academic profile.

A student that would do great at KSU, or Marquette or whatever, but struggle at a place like Harvard, isn’t better off at Harvard — again generally speaking.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 29, 2023, 10:44:30 PM »
i only invested a few minutes to investigate, but afaict, this account is real and the tweet is sincere.

https://twitter.com/ericareport/status/1674453321078415362
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 29, 2023, 11:01:18 PM »
i only invested a few minutes to investigate, but afaict, this account is real and the tweet is sincere.

https://twitter.com/ericareport/status/1674453321078415362

I’ve seen some call it a bot and it was created in September so I’m unsure.