Author Topic: ReCATery (aka Sober Cats,800BETSOFF Cats,Like Chocoholics but for BoozeCats,etc)  (Read 8936 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Related to the question of "Is there anything I can do to help if he doesn’t want it," is the notion of an "intervention" or "rehab."  In my experience, an intervention (loved ones confronting you) can be very powerful, but usually does not work right away...again, it plants the seed.

Rehab, for someone who doesn't want to be in rehab, is the same way.  It's a very, very expensive intervention that has no more chance of working than a surprise group visit, if the person doesn't want to get sober, in my opinion.  However, it does do a nice job of separating a person from their vice for a short amount of time. So, if you have someone who is at risk of OD'ing or something, then rehab can be a handy way of keeping them alive for 30 days longer. 

If someone really wanted to do something drastic in their recovery to jump start it, in my experience an Oxford House is more effective than rehab (and it's free).

However, my experience and observation has led me to believe that all you really need to do is immerse yourself in a 12-step program and go to at least one meeting a day for 90 days (and still VERY frequently thereafter), get a sponsor and work ALL the steps with them, and calling your sponsor every day.   

I used to wonder "how many meetings do you need to go to a week for the rest of your life?!?!"  The answer changes for everyone.  I've had periods of time where I felt the need to go every day, in periods of higher stress etc.  I've also had days where I had to hit multiple meetings in a single day.  In Covid, I stayed sober not going to a single in-person meeting for 1 year, but I was already 5+ years sober at that point....and it was still a very risky thing for me to do.  These days, I usually go to 2 or 3 a week, and lead one a week.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  They always, ALWAYS, make me feel better about life.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
I feel bad for IC's friend. Wife and kids leaving is rough. Unfortunately, it seems to be a trigger rather than a wake up call. Hopefully, the seed IC planted will get his friend to thinking before something unrepairable happens.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I hate that all of my good friends have moved away (so I’m bored a lot. Especially working from home full-time) and many of my off nights are my time, when the kid is in bed and the wife doesn’t want to watch sports.

Probably off-topic but I learned that while working from home, I needed to be more intentional about my friendships.  It's a little out of my comfort zone, but I've reached out to people more and tried to set up coffee/drinks/dinner with some acquaintances that I haven't traditionally hung out with before.  It just doesn't happen naturally as much anymore between working from home and being the age where people have kids.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
100%. I’ve really befriended my wife’s guy friends lately. We try and make plans at least once a month.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
100%. I’ve really befriended my wife’s guy friends lately. We try and make plans at least once a month.
:fatty:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
JK friend!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing your stories and glad to hear things are great!  I know I've had ups and downs with booze and would love to taper more.  I think if I actually wrote down how much I spend on booze monthly it would make me want to quit more.

Yes, very happy to hear of Pete and IPA's positives from their decisions and that is really, really awesome for them, and definitely a place to get to.

I know for me I am in a decline of usage for a bit, I know probably the whole adage "if you think you might have a problem you do" but realistically at least for me I have found a lot, and I mean a lot of my drinking is driven by basically boredom or stress. I have found as long as I realize that I can (usually) stop the urge, and really it's more my body wants something to "do" and even like a pop or something sweet is just as effective as anything else. It's like when I'm at work, I often go through an entire pack of gum if I have it, chew the piece til it loses it's flavor than start again, it's just a tick that tends to work itself out.

I know for me drinking did not start til literally prom night my senior year of HS, and even still throughout most of college I probably drank (though pretty hard when I did) maybe once a week or every other week, it was a pretty small part of my college experience to be honest, sure plenty of fun parties, but really, it was to weekends, and never on back to back days, and often weeks in between. The pick up in it really took off once I got my house and more or less have lived by myself for the last 5 years, and having a few drinks, not nightly, but more often than once a week, because the way to reward myself for getting chores done, or because I didn't have anything better to do, and I felt safe in doing it at home because well, hey, at least I'm not driving right? Obviously the pandemic just made that even more convenient.

That being said, I am starting some therapy soon anyways, not so much for the drinking but because no matter what I have felt fairly miserable and overburdened, and have been for years (I think the first time any medical professional said I was depressed was senior year of college, a decade ago now) I just need to find better ways at being able to manage that, if that means cutting back more on the hot stuff than so be it, but I think finding better ways of coping will help me out with that too. It really has more felt like I have been running from my problems for too long and haven't taken care of myself at all.

I haven't had a drink in about 10 days right now (I know short) and feel great, but also I slept approximately 50 hours over the 4 days off for Thanksgiving, and didn't touch work once, so that also helped a crap ton too.
This is spot on for me. I might drink 3 nights a week. I just need to get offline when I do it, because I get more irritable with people who make me irritable on social media and here, but am super social and nice IRL. I hate that all of my good friends have moved away (so I’m bored a lot. Especially working from home full-time) and many of my off nights are my time, when the kid is in bed and the wife doesn’t want to watch sports. So I pour a Svedka, watch sports, and talk about it online. Yeah, I’ve expressed my own mental health on this blog before, but overall, my life is in the best place it’s ever been (due to taking steps with medicine and counseling every now and then). I’ll calm down my crap posting, but overall, I’m a very happy, positive person, who likes to PAK when my teams play. Sorry, I thought I had to explain this for Mich, since he’s expressed many times I have a problem and I’m sure it comes off that way. Either way, I’m proud of everyone on here taking steps and for those people supporting them as well. Go cats!

PS- I should have taken Clams advice early on and never visited the pit in the offseason years ago.

The word, but I found (for me) the best has been my friends basically abandoning twitter and subsequently me has helped out the most there. Only looking at twitter very occasionally and for really only cats or truly news related things has been the best thing. It's such a miserable place regardless of your politics. My friends just got so tired of how awful and negative and disparaging things were on twitter, and while they still have accounts just deleted the app, and they have been so much happier for it, and gotta say following that lead and basically cutting it out does wonders.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I really worded that wrong. Lol. I’ve really tried to befriend my wife’s girlfriends partners lately, for some much needed bro time. Or whatever makes sense, that doesn’t sound like Mrs. Wacky is hanging with a bunch of dudes on the side.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
This site does not kink shame, 420seriouscat69, do whatever you want
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was certainly not meaning to do that

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol. I know. The English language vs Wacky continues to be the greatest battle online.

Anyways, not trying to take over this thread. Just wanted to shed light on the mental health part of this thread. I definitely could and will do better about my overall presence of being a degenerate when I have time off and talk with friends on the internet.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Finding friends as an adult can be hard.  Almost all my close friends I either used to work with or we have kids that were in sports or activities together.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Quitting tobacco has proven to be far harder than alcohol. I'd cut a mf'er right now for a pinch of Grizzly.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol

I smoked in college and for about 5 years after. Probably 10 years total.

I used the gum. Took about 4 months from last cig to no more gum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don’t like the gum. I quit cigarettes when my son was born, but substituted cigars from time to time instead. Overall, still doing better than where I was, but it’s hard for sure.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Congrats on the sobriety guys

Keep in mind Therapists are like anything else. There’s good ones and bad ones. If you aren’t feeling it with one shop around.

Same with anti anxiety/depression meds

I took lexapro for about 9 years and it helped A TON but I had a breakdown in July/august

Talked to a psychiatrist and she switched me to cymbalta it’s been even better/more effective for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I have tried 5 or 6 different meds since 2000, and have been on one for the past couple years that works well enough to justify the side effects for me.

I am a big proponent of medical help, but for me that wasn’t nearly enough.

If I had to choose meds or program/regular frequent meetings, I’d choose the later, no question about it.  I’ve tried it both ways.

Meetings and working the steps work.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Quitting tobacco has proven to be far harder than alcohol. I'd cut a mf'er right now for a pinch of Grizzly.

I smoked and dipped for about a decade, starting in college. I quit both cold turkey with lots of sugar free gum and sugar free candies. The first couple weeks were brutal, but after 3 or 4 it got much better. Then, it eventually got to the point that I missed the idea more than the act. Now, I don't even think about it anymore.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
My brother-in-law is a week in to an in-patient rehab program for alcohol. He did so after his wife (Mrs. 8mp’s sister) served him w/ divorce papers.  They have a 1 year old daughter. Sad stuff, hopefully it works out for him. I like him when he isn’t being a shitty drunk.
:adios:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
This might be the best thread on this blogspace. Really proud of everyone for being real and discussing real issues like adults and without judgment. Godspeed.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My brother-in-law is a week in to an in-patient rehab program for alcohol. He did so after his wife (Mrs. 8mp’s sister) served him w/ divorce papers.  They have a 1 year old daughter. Sad stuff, hopefully it works out for him. I like him when he isn’t being a shitty drunk.
Ugh. 

One (of the many) things that motivated me was the fear of “what would I do if my kids needed me, and I was too drunk to drive to go help them out.”  Maybe this helps him turn into a good dad before his kid is old enough to know the difference.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile

I got some friends who smoke and they go through bouts of quitting and then going back to it. It definitely looks much harder than drinking would be.

I am glad I never had any smoking desires, tobacco or otherwise. Tried weed, tried tobacco, both just never did it for me and I am very, very glad of that.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
To continue the meds discussion, how does one go about getting back on an anti-depressant prescription? I don't have a regular doctor or anything. In the past I've had family friends available to write the script, but that's not an option now. The last time I went through Lafene when I was in school 7 years ago or so. This particular med was the first of probably 6 prior that I felt did anything beyond noticeable side effects. I was broke at the time and it was something like $250 a month without insurance so I stopped after 4 months or so. I'd like to give it a try again now that I have insurance and am not broke.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
I was broke at the time and it was something like $250 a month without insurance so I stopped after 4 months or so. I'd like to give it a try again now that I have insurance and am not broke.

God this sucks
:adios: