Author Topic: Cats vs. Bears  (Read 8978 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cats vs. Bears
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2021, 08:49:09 PM »
my guess is the decision came down to howard sucking ass.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »
To me, neither of those situations are valid. You put in your best option to win the game no matter what. It's not like we were down 3TDs with no shot to win. Howard is a decent running QB, so go try to get the rough ridin' win. I don't get it.
So then you are of the mindset he’s injured and was dressed as an emergency 6th string QB?  As a fan it’s annoying AF to watch it go down like that, but we had no shot to win that game when Skylar went down, and we have no idea the discussions that have gone on about RS.

OK, I've been drinking, but I have no idea what you're asking here. I'm not talking about 6th string QBs, Howard is clearly the second string QB. Lewis is third based on playing time, Rubley is a ghost right now. You play your best backup in a close game to try and win the game. All I was saying is if we are so worried about burning a redshirt on a backup QB of the caliber of Will Howard, we must be mumped in our QB situation going forward.  With the new transfer portal thing, the worry about burning redshirts seems like a relic and teams like K-State needs to worry about the present and win games when you can. We were down 10 points with like 6 minutes left in the game.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2021, 08:58:04 PM »
Isn't the most plausible explanation that Howard has already decided that he's transferring and not playing anymore and will redshirt this year to have an extra year for wherever his path in life leads?  And that staff is cool with that as opposed to telling him to kick rocks now and making it a public thing?

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
Isn't the most plausible explanation that Howard has already decided that he's transferring and not playing anymore and will redshirt this year to have an extra year for wherever his path in life leads?  And that staff is cool with that as opposed to telling him to kick rocks now and making it a public thing?

You have to be trolling....

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
Yeah, this is kind of where i’m at as well
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
I don't think we were really outcoached in the game, despite some questionable play calling, but rather we simply didn't have the athletes on the field to compete. Our recruiting must improve if we're to compete for titles rather than relying on a few star players to get us through the games.

Oh, and we've got to get a decent quarterback for next year, because there isn't one on our roster after Skylar.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2021, 09:35:17 PM »

I agree, it's either this or he's watched Skylar and wants to be a super cat like Sky and play through 2026. . .  but most likely this.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2021, 09:37:08 PM »
Story of the night in my opinion is our O line got manhandled.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2021, 09:37:13 PM »

Very likely this

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2021, 09:39:16 PM »
Yeah, this is kind of where i’m at as well

So you're saying that a player who has already checked out, already decided to transfer after the end of the year, who dressed up in full pads, looked like he was warming up in the end of an FSN1 broadcast that showed him throwing on the sidelines, the coaching staff still keeps him in a "to go" type of situation just for show? Again, I don't pretend to know what the decision process was there but I think as a coaching staff, you put in your best option to win a gam at that time. To hell with redshirts and so sorry to mess up your opportunities at your next school, you play for K-State now dude

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2021, 12:08:41 AM »
Taq are you high? If the player wants to redshirt, you let him, if he doesn't you don't. If Howard and the coaches decide to forego the redshirt for Texas and the bowl game, then fair enough, but you don't make that decision with 3 minutes to go in a game in which you're down multiple scores, that's stupid.

I also think Trim's theory holds some weight. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that Howard is planning on leaving, now I don't know why because as it sits now he's the starter for 2022, but if they bring in a transfer, he'll know by the end of spring ball whether or not they plan on starting him next fall. I think if Howard doesn't play next week, he might be looking to leave.

One thing to look out for next week and the bowl game is that I didn't see Max Marsh today, the QBs are right in front of my seats. That means if Howard doesn't play and Marsh is either hurt, gone, or whatever, Jake Rubley will be the backup for UT and the bowl game.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2021, 12:29:03 AM »
max marsh? more like max darsh

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2021, 01:44:42 AM »

I don't think so. Skylar had time, a lot. The receivers didn't get open and Mess didn't help the offense at all. They were aggressive with a lot of pressure and the play calling did nothing to help the offense. No screens, no draws, nothing to counter the pressure at all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2021, 06:40:27 AM »

I don't think so. Skylar had time, a lot. The receivers didn't get open and Mess didn't help the offense at all. They were aggressive with a lot of pressure and the play calling did nothing to help the offense. No screens, no draws, nothing to counter the pressure at all.

I wasn't able to watch the second half but Skylar hasn't been great executing screens this year. I can recall a couple called and he just couldn't handle pressure, I think it's obvious he never came close to recovering from his injury.

(Still are other ways to help him though)

Offline Dr. Fausto Rindón

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2021, 08:09:11 AM »
One thing to look out for next week and the bowl game is that I didn't see Max Marsh today, the QBs are right in front of my seats.

He was standing right in front of me dressed out at the fifty with the rest of the kids who will never take a meaningful snap.  I’ve never seen him engaged in any group discussions.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »

I think it’s fair to say he had enough time, but he still rarely had a clean pocket. That said, my comment was mainly in reference to the fact we couldn’t get any kind of rushing game going outside of one long break by Deuce.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »
I did not enjoy that game offensively other than deuce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
How rough ridin' stupid was it to play Will in mop up at ku

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »
One thing to look out for next week and the bowl game is that I didn't see Max Marsh today, the QBs are right in front of my seats.

He was standing right in front of me dressed out at the fifty with the rest of the kids who will never take a meaningful snap.  I’ve never seen him engaged in any group discussions.

Dr. Fausto with the elite section 5 seats! In my peasant section 3 seats the QBs stand on the 25 and Marsh wasn't there. He also was the only QB on the roster who didn't warm-up at halftime.

Offline Dr. Fausto Rindón

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »

Dr. Fausto with the elite section 5 seats! In my peasant section 3 seats the QBs stand on the 25 and Marsh wasn't there. He also was the only QB on the roster who didn't warm-up at halftime.
I think we’re on the same page in that I’ve never seen him do anything (interact with the other QBs or coaches, etc.) but stand in front of the press box phone watching the game.  You would think he’d at least be leaning into their conversations during the game.  Also, I wish I would have thought to introduce myself since I think I knew your seats are close.  I’m in row four, so I should have just leaned forward and asked Marsh if he was going to ever play.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:27 PM »

I think we’re on the same page in that I’ve never seen him do anything (interact with the other QBs or coaches, etc.) but stand in front of the press box phone watching the game.  You would think he’d at least be leaning into their conversations during the game.  Also, I wish I would have thought to introduce myself since I think I knew your seats are close.  I’m in row four, so I should have just leaned forward and asked Marsh if he was going to ever play.

Even more bizarre that he's in front of Rubley. Watching the sidelines Rubley almost always has his helmet and is ready to go. I'm still convinced that when Thompson got hurt against Southern Illinois Rubley thought he was playing. He got that helmet on and started throwing quickly.

I am in row 12 but I have to move next year because we are adding a seat.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2021, 11:56:22 AM »
i thought the interior OL played like garbage and so did Skylar which isn't a great recipe for offensive success.

That said, it's crazy that we ran 52 plays on saturday and only 13 of them were running plays to Deuce Vaughn or Joe Ervin -- especially on a night when Skylar was playing crummy.  Probably should've tried those more often.

Even if you take away Deuce's 65 yard run, he was still averaging >6 ypc.  What the heck MESS?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
i thought the interior OL played like garbage and so did Skylar which isn't a great recipe for offensive success.

That said, it's crazy that we ran 52 plays on saturday and only 13 of them were running plays to Deuce Vaughn or Joe Ervin -- especially on a night when Skylar was playing crummy.  Probably should've tried those more often.

Even if you take away Deuce's 65 yard run, he was still averaging >6 ypc.  What the heck MESS?
Keeping him fresh for a Friday CTR kickoff?  I'm pretty low FBIQ but were there no short routes, open TEs, screens, etc available. It seemed like we were looking downfield on all of the passing plays rather than using some shorter stuff to build a rhythm.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
We did run at least one screen on saturday.  For whatever reason, we don't really run very many screens, period. 

I'd have to go back and rewatch to see what was available in the shorter passing game.  FWIW, when I was watching the game, I thought all our passes were too limited to the midrange and wanted to see us stretch a bit more.  Felt like Baylor's D was ultra focused on removing short/intermediate passes, and when we tried to get further downfield, OL didn't allow time for it.

But my main criticism is only 13 carries for the RBs.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]