Author Topic: Supply Chain Chat  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Supply Chain Chat
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »
is it like the freedom convoy guys that are pissed at Ted Cruz?

Do they mega taze their own scrotums until they die?  Are they even poor-er than normal maga?

TRIM:  begin plan to grift this even dumber version of prior targets

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2022, 12:23:12 PM »
I demand to know more about MEGA maga.  What is it and when did it start?  Is it mega hilarious like previous maga?

You'll have to ask the dipshit you voted for, in between spewing forth random numbers, he's now talking to ghosts about "Mega MAGA".

Don't worry, your Information Ministry will get you up to speed soon.   

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »
I demand to know more about MEGA maga.  What is it and when did it start?  Is it mega hilarious like previous maga?

You'll have to ask the dipshit you voted for, in between spewing forth random numbers, he's now talking to ghosts about "Mega MAGA".

Good.  I am excited to see an even sadder and more afraid of the gym group of victims and incels.  I will be impressed by the dedication to sloth/sedentary life that one will need to apply to be a mega maga.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »

Good.  I am excited to see an even sadder and more afraid of the gym group of victims and incels.  I will be impressed by the dedication to sloth/sedentary life that one will need to apply to be a mega maga.

Unfortunately for you that demographic comprises a very small percentage of the total population.   Meanwhile mush brained easily propagandized and manipulated #blueanon comprises a massive segment of the total U.S. population.   

#slowdug - deflectoboting hard on this Friday..

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2022, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2022, 09:31:33 PM »
I've been hesitant to drop my huge dong in this thread since its in the pit but now that its turned into a dax/SD pissing match I'll jump in to redirect the thread.

I spent the last 10 years working in the transportation industry (8 years in TL sales(elite term for trucking) and 2 years running a IMDL(elite term for Intermodal aka a 40/53ft box) railroad facility.

AMA

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2022, 09:36:49 PM »
I've been hesitant to drop my huge dong in this thread since its in the pit but now that its turned into a dax/SD pissing match I'll jump in to redirect the thread.

I spent the last 10 years working in the transportation industry (8 years in TL sales(elite term for trucking) and 2 years running a IMDL(elite term for Intermodal aka a 40/53ft box) railroad facility.

AMA
How is demand now? How much for a container from China?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2022, 09:38:36 PM »

AMA

wut

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2022, 09:41:54 PM »
Fun facts

1. The 25 biggest trucking companies (Think JB Hunt/Knight-Swift/Schneider etc) only control about 13% of the total transportation market in the US which is a Trillion dollar a year industry.

2. 90% of the trucking companies in the US have less than 6 trucks.

3. 98% of the trucking companies in the US have less than 20 trucks.

4. Companies can never get too big because the churn on drivers is ridiculous for various reasons.

Its basically a boom/bust industry with a low barrier to entry.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2022, 09:44:25 PM »

AMA
How is demand now? How much for a container from China?

I was more focused on the domestic transportation but for the last 10 years pre covid the price for a container from Shanghai to LA was like 2-3k. It spiked to like 15-20k during covid but started coming back down, not sure how the recent lockdowns in china have impacted prices.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2022, 09:45:26 PM »
How many truckers will retire over the next five years and how will they be replaced?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2022, 09:53:39 PM »
Basically our supply chain had been pretty optimized over the last 30+ years and was a finely tuned machine...Then Covid hit and threw a bunch of sands in the gears which had an accordion effect we are still seeing.

I've been out of the industry for about a year but definitely remember late April 2020 when a customer asked me how Covid was going to impact transportation costs going forward and I told them "I'm not sure, we weren't really around for the spanish flu so I have no idea what a worldwide pandemic will do to transportation costs"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2022, 10:00:20 PM »
How many truckers will retire over the next five years and how will they be replaced?

Supply/demand and immigration. Most truckers burn out in their first 2ish years because being a truck driver kind of sucks.

If you stick with it for a while you can make dam good money for someone without a college degree but to start out you have to drive cross country for 50kish a year being home for one week a month.

People still think of truckers as being good ole boys from the south and that might be true for some 50 year old drivers but the vast majority of the truckers out there working for the smaller trucking companies are recent immigrants from Eastern Europe/India/Mexico etc.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2022, 10:08:07 PM »
The big inflection point will come when autonomous trucks finally take over...I've been hearing "any day now" for 10 years but when it finally does happen it will dramatically change the transportation industry.

Driver's pay is 43% of the cost of transportation...when that is eventually eliminated transportation costs will be drastically reduced. It wont happen all at once but think of a driver in a lead semi with 10 autonomous trucks following him between LA-CHI.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2022, 10:10:08 PM »
cathie woods talkin' bout deflation over here

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2022, 10:14:19 PM »
Cross post to the investing thread but if you have some extra funds you would like to invest long term I would buy some stock in JB Hunt/Knight-Swift/Schneider etc because once autonomous driving takes off the large companies will be the the only ones with the capital to invest in the technology...eventually it will look like the container ship market where there are a couple companies that dominate the industry due to scale.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 10:27:46 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »
*Note, I am not an expert and you should do your own research before buying any individual stocks*

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2022, 10:20:32 PM »
$AMZN will have their own autonomous electric truck network and it'll be pretty wild. like 20 years out but it's going to be great hopefully. On that note if you want to try to catch a falling knife $RIVN may be ready to grab. of course, that never works...but it might for us.

*this is official financial advice and as your attorney I must inform you that you are required to execute these trades

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2022, 10:32:47 PM »
$AMZN will have their own autonomous electric truck network and it'll be pretty wild. like 20 years out but it's going to be great hopefully. On that note if you want to try to catch a falling knife $RIVN may be ready to grab. of course, that never works...but it might for us.

*this is official financial advice and as your attorney I must inform you that you are required to execute these trades

I'm pretty sure SD works with daris in the department of homeland security. Definitely not a lawyer boi.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2022, 10:52:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure SD works with daris in the department of homeland security. Definitely not a lawyer boi.

I'm clearly a fiduciary though. based on the other lies.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2022, 11:03:57 PM »
When I was in the getting deliveries business, half the drivers were African.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2022, 06:46:42 AM »
When I was in the getting deliveries business, half the drivers were African.
I saw a ton of Sikh drivers in California

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-col1-sikh-truckers-20190627-htmlstory.html

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2022, 06:47:48 AM »
But I have also heard an anecdote that an absurd percentage of truckers are near retirement age. (With not many people to replace them)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
But I have also heard an anecdote that an absurd percentage of truckers are near retirement age. (With not many people to replace them)
There has been a big recovery in driver numbers I think

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »

I've been hearing that for 10 years. 

Fortunately its pretty easy to become a truck driver so supply and demand will sort it all out (Along with Immigration).