Author Topic: Unions  (Read 9521 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Unions
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
also I'm not knowledgeable enough about them to propose a better solution so I should probably just stfu

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
The upside is that they truly help people (including people not in one) earn enough not to live in poverty and have a decent life. I'm not aware of any downsides that outweigh that.

I'd say the people who get mad about unions are the same one who'd get mad about taxing rich people more and poor people less. And for similar reasons.

Add the people who get mad about raising the minimum wage and/or certain types of workers (e.g. fast food) making too much money.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2021, 01:29:51 PM »
Surprised wacky hasn't weighed in yet. He hates these things.

Edit: nvm, thought the thread was about onions.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »
I was thinking about it, and it seems like there's a lot of hate on unions based on anecdotes about one of them not moving a box in a factory because it wasn't their job or something. Is that still a thing people hate about unions?

I have absolutely ran into this sort of thing in construction. It seems more an bad person problem than a union problem though.

i've seen it a fair bit too, but it's usually sort of a higher-level discussion (like managers or union reps trying to sort out if a task is a laborer task or an operator task, not a guy in the field).  and it's almost always in the opposite direction.  like not some guy saying, hey, i'm not doing that.  it's someone saying, hey, these other people need to stop doing that, that's our job.

another union thing i see is that people want to fire someone but they can't just fire him because he's bad at his job or whatever, so they have someone watch him for like a week or whatever until they catch him committing a fireable offense (like not wearing safety equipment or something).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2021, 09:23:40 PM »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
I think scabs are underrepresented.  There should be a union for them.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »
I think scabs are underrepresented.  There should be a union for them.

I know that are the shits to peel or pick. :curse:  I would tend to let them alone, so things can heal naturally.   :D
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
there are so many of these stories.  not great.

https://twitter.com/ByIanJames/status/1458924460132560908
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2021, 02:08:13 AM »
I don't think it's been discussed here but John Deere are forcing their salaried workers to manufacture parts. Could you imagine getting a job at John Deere out of college in the marketing department only to be placed on an assembly line?

I used to host about a hundred John Deere employees each year you the United Way Day of Caring. It's a day of volunteering, we got a mix of hourly and salaried employees and generally, while nice people, those salaried employees were relatively inept with their hands when compared to the works employees.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
I don't think it's been discussed here but John Deere are forcing their salaried workers to manufacture parts. Could you imagine getting a job at John Deere out of college in the marketing department only to be placed on an assembly line?

I used to host about a hundred John Deere employees each year you the United Way Day of Caring. It's a day of volunteering, we got a mix of hourly and salaried employees and generally, while nice people, those salaried employees were relatively inept with their hands when compared to the works employees.

Keep your eye on the lemon list for these built JDs'.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »

I don't remember where I saw it but one office employee wrote a letter to an outlet that was basically "lol at them thinking we can do this.  Realizing how inept we are is going to be a huge boost to the strikers"

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 09:59:49 PM »

I don't remember where I saw it but one office employee wrote a letter to an outlet that was basically "lol at them thinking we can do this.  Realizing how inept we are is going to be a huge boost to the strikers"

Might I ask what kind of difficult stuff do you think they’ll be doing?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2021, 10:40:03 PM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2021, 11:15:57 PM »
I was thinking about it, and it seems like there's a lot of hate on unions based on anecdotes about one of them not moving a box in a factory because it wasn't their job or something. Is that still a thing people hate about unions?

I have absolutely ran into this sort of thing in construction. It seems more an bad person problem than a union problem though.

i've seen it a fair bit too, but it's usually sort of a higher-level discussion (like managers or union reps trying to sort out if a task is a laborer task or an operator task, not a guy in the field).  and it's almost always in the opposite direction.  like not some guy saying, hey, i'm not doing that.  it's someone saying, hey, these other people need to stop doing that, that's our job.

another union thing i see is that people want to fire someone but they can't just fire him because he's bad at his job or whatever, so they have someone watch him for like a week or whatever until they catch him committing a fireable offense (like not wearing safety equipment or something).

I worked for a contractor who ran a BNSF facility for a couple of years. The train crews were still BNSF union people so I interacted with them daily and told them what to do, 95% of them were perfectly fine but the 5% could make your life a living hell. All they had to say was "I dont feel safe" and then spend 1 hr manually checking all the brake lines on the train/etc which could totally throw off your whole day.

The "Thats not my job" is a very real thing. We had our own switch crew who would move rail cars around in our yard and during a slow time one of them told me one of the engines had leaked some oil and asked if he had enough time to clean it up before the next train arrived. The BNSF manager next to me was flabbergasted and explained that if that happened at a yard the BNSF union ran a completely different employee would have to handle the minor oil spill because it was "their job" and the switchman wouldn't be allowed to do it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 11:24:16 PM »

The "Thats not my job" is a very real thing. We had our own switch crew who would move rail cars around in our yard and during a slow time one of them told me one of the engines had leaked some oil and asked if he had enough time to clean it up before the next train arrived. The BNSF manager next to me was flabbergasted and explained that if that happened at a yard the BNSF union ran a completely different employee would have to handle the minor oil spill because it was "their job" and the switchman wouldn't be allowed to do it.

Without knowing the details I can see that also being a safety issue

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
Side note that was probably my favorite job of all time, think about an air traffic controller but for trains. I would sit in the office with like 6 screens, camera's that could zoom in on every area of the yard, a radio with like 6 channels on it where I could talk to trains/our switch crew/our yard crew/train repair people/etc. You would move these little colored boxes from the stacks to empty train cars on the computer screen and the yard workers would follow your instructions, it was like playing a video game but if I mumped up someone might die.

But it was also 12 hr shifts 5am-5pm, every other weekend including holidays which kind of got old after a while.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:30:00 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2021, 11:27:51 PM »

It was basically throwing some kitty litter on some oil then scooping it up and disposing of it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »

It was basically throwing some kitty litter on some oil then scooping it up and disposing of it.

So a chemical spill in an active rail yard? Surely the logic of the quirky job division is SOMEWHAT rooted in safety...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2021, 02:37:31 AM »

Might I ask what kind of difficult stuff do you think they’ll be doing?

There's a reason it's considered skilled labor. They're assembling parts, if automation could easily handle that the workers would have been gone long ago.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Unions
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »
There are tons of things that are probably “good enough” and don’t require following a rule/contract but the reason the procedures in the contract that people find annoying are put there are usually to ensure competency/reduce liability.  People act like OSHAA is basically a terrorist organization but it is there for a reason.

It isn’t likely that cleaning up a body spill is going to get someone hep or HIV abut not following those procedures is a pretty good way to get written up.  Same is true for an oil spill. As you said, the small chance of a catastrophe means you mitigate the risk, that has eff all to do with the union other than it ensures procedures and contract language is followed and isn’t just some manager playing fast and loose with peoples lives in cases large and small.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2022, 10:51:24 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2022, 11:32:29 AM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2022, 03:06:05 PM »
Are unions the reason you can't pump your own gas in New Jersey? Always found that curious.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
Are unions the reason you can't pump your own gas in New Jersey? Always found that curious.

Nope, it's a safety regulation passed back in the day when people couldn't be bothered to take the damn cigarette outta their mouth even when pumping flammable gas into their car:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-some-places-in-the-u-s-still-wont-let-you-pu-1846694716

When I lived in Massachusetts, the gas stations there were required by law (and as far as I know still are) to remove the little tab that keeps the pump handle open without holding it so you had to stand there and hold the pump handle when filling up with gas like a peasant.  Really annoying, especially on a day when it's 0 degrees out and snowing.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2022, 05:43:07 AM »