Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Unions
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
This is a cool story I just read:

https://mattbruenig.com/2021/09/20/when-mcdonalds-came-to-denmark/

McDonalds decided not to follow the union agreement and thus set up its own pay levels and work rules instead. This was a departure, not just from what Danish companies did, but even from what other similar foreign companies did. For example, Burger King, which is identical to McDonalds in all relevant respects, decided to follow the union agreement when it came to Denmark a few years earlier.
Dockworkers refused to unload containers that had McDonalds equipment in them. Printers refused to supply printed materials to the stores, such as menus and cups. Construction workers refused to build McDonalds stores and even stopped construction on a store that was already in progress but not yet complete. The typographers union refused to place McDonalds advertisements in publications, which eliminated the company’s print advertisement presence. Truckers refused to deliver food and beer to McDonalds. Food and beverage workers that worked at facilities that prepared food for the stores refused to work on McDonalds products.

In addition to wreaking havoc on McDonalds supply chains, the unions engaged in picketing and leaflet campaigns in front of McDonalds locations, urging consumers to boycott the company.

Once the sympathy strikes got going, McDonalds folded pretty quickly and decided to start following the hotel and restaurant agreement in 1989.

This is why McDonalds workers in Denmark are paid $22 per hour.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Unions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »
Power to the people
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
Very cool. Solidarity is an awesome thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 12:54:16 PM »
why do people get so mad at unions? Like I get why CEO's hate them, but why do so many like average working folks hate them so much?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 01:02:33 PM »
A lot of people are dumb.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »
I also think some people are just envious of the idea/promise of a union and use that misplaced anger to criticize union workers.

And don't get me wrong there are tons of corrupt unions/union bosses out there but the corruption is usually the opposite of what you hear right wingers talk about, like the UAW president that got kickbacks for negotiating a bad contract for his union with Chrysler/Fiat.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
Unions protect lazy/bad workers like 420seriouscat69 protects the unvaxxed.

I support unions, although selfishly I don't want to be in one.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
I'd say the people who get mad about unions are the same one who'd get mad about taxing rich people more and poor people less. And for similar reasons.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
IT'S NOT FAIR

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »

This can be true, but in my experience good workers get protected as much as bad because good people insist on following the contract and bad workers generally are not rule followers and try to leverage personal relationships with management to avoid accountability.  The contract is two ways, if workers aren't following it they get held accountable too.  Report times, "duties", those things matter.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »
why do people get so mad at unions? Like I get why CEO's hate them, but why do so many like average working folks hate them so much?

You know that thinking is really stupid.  CEOs' are unions of one like most executives as they have a law firm negotiate their labor contract. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »

You said it. The lengths that people have gone to in the past to support each other during strikes to achieve a common goal is awe-inspiring.  The civil rights movement and the labor movement are two of the best things America has ever achieved.

If anyone here has not watched it, Harlan County, USA is one of my favorite films of all time about a coal miner's strike in Kentucky.  Just checked and it is on Criterion, will definitely watch this weekend.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 07:33:43 PM »

well, they're trying to take my job away from me is the main thing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »

well, they're trying to take my job away from me is the main thing.

hmm is that the case for most folks?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »

Because fire fighters, police, etc. make too much money and my tax dollars pay them!  :shakesfist:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »
hmm is that the case for most folks?

probably not, but people should be more aware that unions represent their members, and no one else.  sometimes the interests of their members overlaps with the common good, but often it doesn't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
Police unions are the worst. I would be in favor of getting rid of all unions just to get rid of police unions.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 07:23:18 AM »
Police unions are bad, but that’s because police are bad not because unions are bad.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »

You said it. The lengths that people have gone to in the past to support each other during strikes to achieve a common goal is awe-inspiring.  The civil rights movement and the labor movement are two of the best things America has ever achieved.

If anyone here has not watched it, Harlan County, USA is one of my favorite films of all time about a coal miner's strike in Kentucky.  Just checked and it is on Criterion, will definitely watch this weekend.
I haven’t seen that movie, but I do love the long form documentary series about Harlan County: Justified
:adios:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »

This can be true, but in my experience good workers get protected as much as bad because good people insist on following the contract and bad workers generally are not rule followers and try to leverage personal relationships with management to avoid accountability.  The contract is two ways, if workers aren't following it they get held accountable too.  Report times, "duties", those things matter.

Yeah, you’re not biased or anything

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
My whole thread about unions being good might've tipped you off that I am pro-union.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »
I was thinking about it, and it seems like there's a lot of hate on unions based on anecdotes about one of them not moving a box in a factory because it wasn't their job or something. Is that still a thing people hate about unions?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2021, 09:02:27 PM »
I have mixed feelings about unions but not for that reason michigancat

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »
I was thinking about it, and it seems like there's a lot of hate on unions based on anecdotes about one of them not moving a box in a factory because it wasn't their job or something. Is that still a thing people hate about unions?

I have absolutely ran into this sort of thing in construction. It seems more an bad person problem than a union problem though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
unions give assholes the ability to openly be assholes with no fear of repercussions. they also give underrepresented a voice. I think they are important but extremely flawed and my opinion on their levels of importance/good run the gamut based on which union you are talking about.