Author Topic: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread  (Read 18753 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #450 on: February 22, 2024, 07:49:49 PM »
most people in Pete's economic demographic over save for retirement. counterpoint like 50% of the population has zero savings for retirement.

I think our guy Pete should leave his job in 6 years or less.
I just did the math and I’d have to beat inflation by 12.5% each year to hit my desired number in 6 years.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 22, 2024, 08:20:45 PM »
most people in Pete's economic demographic over save for retirement. counterpoint like 50% of the population has zero savings for retirement.

I just did the math and I’d have to beat inflation by 12.5% each year to hit my desired number in 6 years.

Just drop the number a bit. Time is the one thing you can never get more of.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 22, 2024, 08:25:32 PM »
crap happens I guess, but if I save at my current rate and get above expectation returns I could beat the 12 mark I suppose. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 22, 2024, 08:30:28 PM »
Is there a chance that the 2020's end up similar to the 90's?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2024, 08:43:06 PM »
In the 90's if you had just bought tons of call/put options on dot commy sounding companies....starting with like $100 of options and just keep upping it as you went, I wonder how well you would have done?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2024, 08:46:42 PM »
I know a lady roughly my same age who does pretty well salarywise but has zero retirement savings. just refuses to contribute to her 401k. she told me she plans to just work until she dies. would rather spend money now.

I kind of get this. It was drilled into me by my parents to at the minimum get the match from the company and that's all I ever did. I also drained my 401k at 30 when I went back to school to pay living expenses and it sort of makes me sad how much that money would be worth now but yolo. I always figured if I'd have to work until I die, at least I'm enjoying myself now.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2024, 08:47:22 PM »

Or split the difference and move to part time work at some point. I’m not sure if/when I’ll fully retire but I’m planning to be done with full time work in about 5-8 years.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2024, 09:13:32 PM »

Or split the difference and move to part time work at some point. I’m not sure if/when I’ll fully retire but I’m planning to be done with full time work in about 5-8 years.

Dude! A couple people where I work have done that lately and I just learned that they still get full benefits.  I am totally going to go after that at some point, assuming I do not get crap canned before then.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:07 PM »

Dude! A couple people where I work have done that lately and I just learned that they still get full benefits.  I am totally going to go after that at some point, assuming I do not get crap canned before then.

My mom did that to keep her health insurance.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2024, 10:26:11 PM »

100% agree. Also I'm good at telling people these facts but not living them most likely. we'll see.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2024, 10:29:14 PM »
Is there a chance that the 2020's end up similar to the 90's?

We just made new market highs. A great thing about that is that making a new market high is generally a good sign for the market.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2024, 10:31:25 PM »
I know a lady roughly my same age who does pretty well salarywise but has zero retirement savings. just refuses to contribute to her 401k. she told me she plans to just work until she dies. would rather spend money now.

I kind of get this. It was drilled into me by my parents to at the minimum get the match from the company and that's all I ever did. I also drained my 401k at 30 when I went back to school to pay living expenses and it sort of makes me sad how much that money would be worth now but yolo. I always figured if I'd have to work until I die, at least I'm enjoying myself now.

Oh I for sure respect the crap out of it. It would stress me out but if you've committed to that path I imagine it would be pretty nice. By nature I am NOT laissez faire about anything.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2024, 10:33:32 PM »

One of my employees told me he's probably calling it at the end of 2024 and I plan to pitch this to him. 2 days a week at half salary is what I'm going to throw out there. Honestly it's a disservice to him because I know he'll give it 100%. He hasn't taken a day of PTO in the entire time he's worked for me where he hasn't been online 60%+ of the day handling crap.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:39 PM »
The head of one of our departments is part-time but also owns a franchise type bakery and I'm pretty sure the only reason they stay around is for the marketing opportunities
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2024, 11:41:58 PM »

One of my employees told me he's probably calling it at the end of 2024 and I plan to pitch this to him. 2 days a week at half salary is what I'm going to throw out there. Honestly it's a disservice to him because I know he'll give it 100%. He hasn't taken a day of PTO in the entire time he's worked for me where he hasn't been online 60%+ of the day handling crap.
Part time at my current gig is a scam, for a similar reason. If someone is liked enough to get it, it’s cause everyone knows they’re going to end up working damn near as much as the FTEs.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2024, 12:14:37 AM »

Part time at my current gig is a scam, for a similar reason. If someone is liked enough to get it, it’s cause everyone knows they’re going to end up working damn near as much as the FTEs.
Yeah, this except I won’t expect it and he’ll just do it anyway. I’M THE “good” GUY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2024, 09:15:34 AM »

Yeah, this except I won’t expect it and he’ll just do it anyway. I’M THE “good” GUY!

Does he work from home? 2 days a week working from home plus half salary and benefits would be pretty enticing regardless. Just shut everything down those other days and if SD has a problem with that, peace out SD!!!!

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2024, 09:17:22 AM »

Does he work from home? 2 days a week working from home plus half salary and benefits would be pretty enticing regardless. Just shut everything down those other days and if SD has a problem with that, peace out SD!!!!
He comes into the office 2 days a week currently. We don’t live in the same city (he’s in KC) so I don’t actually ever see him.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2024, 09:34:29 AM »

in general people like you spend less money than they expect to in retirement. I hope that's not you and you live bigtime in retirement but that's generally what happens. people get scared and die with a pile of cash. that's a sad thing. even people who say "I want to leave it for my kids" aren't doing them a service imo. better to spend it on experiences with the kids while you're actually alive.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2024, 09:36:46 AM »
I'm working again. Quit my old job in 2020 but had an opportunity to work part time with potential high upside. Plus I needed some money lol.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2024, 09:43:08 AM »
I'm working again. Quit my old job in 2020 but had an opportunity to work part time with potential high upside. Plus I needed some money lol.
I’m kind of liking the idea of in about 5 years starting to jump to different harebrained schemes that friends of mine will occasionally do, just for some excitement and disposable income.

Sadly, navigating our ridiculous health insurance system (with dependents) would be by far the biggest hurdle with all that.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2024, 09:48:31 AM »
I’m kind of liking the idea of in about 5 years starting to jump to different harebrained schemes that friends of mine will occasionally do, just for some excitement and disposable income.

Sadly, navigating our ridiculous health insurance system (with dependents) would be by far the biggest hurdle with all that.

mrs. dave and I both have very high stress but great gigs. hers has a shitload of opportunity to basically work 1/4 of the time in much less stressful roles with incredible benefits at some point. I've told her I'm retiring at 55 and she just needs to roll into one of those coast positions so we can get those bennys and we will be fine.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2024, 09:58:00 AM »

mrs. dave and I both have very high stress but great gigs. hers has a shitload of opportunity to basically work 1/4 of the time in much less stressful roles with incredible benefits at some point. I've told her I'm retiring at 55 and she just needs to roll into one of those coast positions so we can get those bennys and we will be fine.

Damn so you've only got like, 2-3 years left until you can retire?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2024, 09:58:13 AM »
Plus the gE ad revenue distributions obviously
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2024, 10:05:36 AM »

This is what I would like to do, but don't really have the benefits figured out yet. We did a buyout recently and it wasn't as good as ones in the past but still decent. It still didn't get much traction because people don't want to lose their health insurance. Its such a rough ridin' scam to have to keep working your whole life just to keep insurance.