Author Topic: politics of crypto (ban that crap)  (Read 11104 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: politics of crypto (ban that crap)
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
My understanding is super rudimentary, but i believe NFTs make it easier to track ownership than pretty much any other method. It is like having a completely electronic chain of title.

So artist says, whoever holds this token has the right to use my work. Only one person can ever hold that token and it’s easy to see how the person got the token.
it sounds like they figured out a way to make licenses the exact same as they were already.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »
My understanding is super rudimentary, but i believe NFTs make it easier to track ownership than pretty much any other method. It is like having a completely electronic chain of title.

So artist says, whoever holds this token has the right to use my work. Only one person can ever hold that token and it’s easy to see how the person got the token.
it sounds like they figured out a way to make licenses the exact same as they were already.
Are you familiar with the terms forgery or plagiarism?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »

How do those terms apply to the song license hypo?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »

The point is that it's a contract that is foolproof in self-authenticating. Are you playing dumb or something? Because I know you to be an intelligent person.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
One big advantage is you don’t need some high priced attorney signing off on it!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2021, 06:04:58 PM »
One big advantage is you don’t need some high priced attorney signing off on it!

No, but you'll apparently need high-priced me and catastrophe explaining the concept to old judges like they're children.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »

The point is that it's a contract that is foolproof in self-authenticating. Are you playing dumb or something? Because I know you to be an intelligent person.
I just don’t get it. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2021, 03:09:55 PM »
I just don’t get it.

that's the entire blockchain playbook.  say some random thing will be revolutionized by blockchain, have no rationale for how or why blockchain would improve or replace whatever they're saying would revolutionized and then imply you're stupid if you don't agree that blockchain revolutionize whatever it is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »
Sys you are positively Daxian in your purposeful ignorance here.

This might help explain for those actually interested https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/blockchain/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
Sys you are positively Daxian in your purposeful ignorance here.

This might help explain for those actually interested https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/blockchain/

oh, i believe the part where you can use blockchain to create a shitty version of contract, just as you can use it to create a shitty version of a currency.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »

No, but you'll apparently need high-priced me and catastrophe explaining the concept to old judges like they're children.

Are you familiar with the KIK Interactive case?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »
at what point does the mainstream buzz around digital currency become about more than how much of another currency it's worth? like how far off do experts think that is?

same question but gold

yeahhhhhh but gold makes fancy jewelry at least?
My explanation could be wrong, but I’m confident you’re missing part of the story.

Most cryptocurrency is generated and used to perform transactions on block chains. So like if a recording artist wanted to license a song by NFT or create a smart contract on the Ethereum network, they would need to pay in ETH to do it. It has inherent value for that reason.

Why would someone want to license a song by NFT?

They capture all the economics, this isn’t hard.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
Looks like the entire premise of this thread has been refuted.

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1415346064807366658

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »
 :love:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
Refuse to regulate it through legislation but tax it to death.  Seems about right.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2021, 04:46:53 PM »
Refuse to regulate it through legislation but tax it to death.  Seems about right.
They really can’t figure out if it should be treated like an asset or like a security. Right now they’re going with the former. Government generally doesn’t care if you sell something expensive to someone else as long as you pay taxes on what you make.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
They really can’t figure out if it should be treated like an asset or like a security. Right now they’re going with the former. Government generally doesn’t care if you sell something expensive to someone else as long as you pay taxes on what you make.

The SEC would beg to differ

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

The SEC would beg to differ
SEC has a totally different focus. That’s the dilemma.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2021, 07:05:26 AM »

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/ummjackson/status/1415353984617914370?s=19

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Good thread, not sure what he is going to invest in however with all that Pearl clutching and moral high ground.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
Also seemingly refuses to recognize the distinction between block chain technology and crypto.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:05 PM »
SEC took a really public and embarrassing  beating today.  Former director Hinman will be deposed in part of the pre trial discovery of the Ripple vs SEC lawsuit.  Wonder what he will say in regards to why he met with ETH foundation a week before declaring ETH was not a security and how his law firm (which paid him millions while he was the director of the SEC) sits on the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »
SEC took a really public and embarrassing  beating today.  Former director Hinman will be deposed in part of the pre trial discovery of the Ripple vs SEC lawsuit.  Wonder what he will say in regards to why he met with ETH foundation a week before declaring ETH was not a security and how his law firm (which paid him millions while he was the director of the SEC) sits on the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.

Is that for real? That seems like it has to be highly illegal, not just a conflict of interest.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »

Is that for real? That seems like it has to be highly illegal, not just a conflict of interest.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sec-simpson-partner-pay-biden-golden-parachutes-2021-1