Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 33694 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #350 on: August 29, 2023, 06:50:33 PM »
Too lazy/busy to find it, but I saw that your Center did a joint NIL commercial with Jared Casey for Applebee's. Guess they're from the same small town. Plainville?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2023, 09:17:48 AM »
Only posting this to lol at alabama’s nil name.

https://twitter.com/On3NIL/status/1731402884808429687

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2023, 11:49:52 AM »
It's the name of their fight song

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2023, 01:42:22 PM »
It's the name of their fight song

That is also hilarious.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2023, 10:13:00 AM »
In a move that is both radical and inevitable, the NCAA is planning to propose a new Division I subdivision that would allow schools to directly compensate their athletes.

The proposal appears to avoid categorizing athletes as employees of their school, instead allowing each school to opt in to a new subdivision in which athletes could license their Name, Image and Likeness rights directly to their schools.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/breaking-in-radical-change-ncaa-proposing-new-subdivision-to-allow-schools-to-pay-athletes-directly/ar-AA1l2eVe?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=232d79fdc7144915acafedb3ba97f226&ei=12

Schools would be required to "invest" at least $30,000 per year to an "enhanced educational trust fund" to at least half of its countable athletes. Title IX rules would still apply, which means at least half of the athletes receiving the $30,000 a year would need to be women.

It seems a no brainer that larger teams will basically become tier II pro sports, but the Title IX part is interesting to me.  It seems out of place.  We are talking about employees now.  Not scholarship athletes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 05, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
In a move that is both radical and inevitable, the NCAA is planning to propose a new Division I subdivision that would allow schools to directly compensate their athletes.

The proposal appears to avoid categorizing athletes as employees of their school, instead allowing each school to opt in to a new subdivision in which athletes could license their Name, Image and Likeness rights directly to their schools.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/breaking-in-radical-change-ncaa-proposing-new-subdivision-to-allow-schools-to-pay-athletes-directly/ar-AA1l2eVe?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=232d79fdc7144915acafedb3ba97f226&ei=12

Schools would be required to "invest" at least $30,000 per year to an "enhanced educational trust fund" to at least half of its countable athletes. Title IX rules would still apply, which means at least half of the athletes receiving the $30,000 a year would need to be women.

It seems a no brainer that larger teams will basically become tier II pro sports, but the Title IX part is interesting to me.  It seems out of place.  We are talking about employees now.  Not scholarship athletes.

I don't know that to think of that other than this is not rough ridin' NIL. That Jim Mora quote is wild, nice to get confirmation of my belief that he's a piece of crap. He's definitely getting fired next season if they don't make a bowl.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 05, 2023, 11:45:42 AM »

I don't know that to think of that other than this is not rough ridin' NIL. That Jim Mora quote is wild, nice to get confirmation of my belief that he's a piece of crap. He's definitely getting fired next season if they don't make a bowl.
Heck, why make them go to school at all if they don't want to. Might as well ask the NFL and NBA to supplement this since NCAA just wants to be minor leagues now.

1. Cheating brings players. 2. Players bring wins 3. wins-->championships 4. chips-->fans/donors 5. fans/donors-->money. 6. Repeat steps 1-6.  What's the downside to cheating (USC, tOSU, KU, etc.). #FreeQuan
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:52:02 AM by OB_Won »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 05, 2023, 11:58:32 AM »

St. Nick said the same thing last year addressing the ATM NIL issue.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 05, 2023, 12:45:10 PM »

Buddy, you can say that when you're Saban coaching at Alabama. Jim Mora is a shitty coach coming off of a 3-9 season at UConn. They aren't asking for national championships, NIL isn't making him lose to FIU, Gerogia State, and Utah State.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 05, 2023, 08:58:23 PM »

Buddy, you can say that when you're Saban coaching at Alabama. Jim Mora is a shitty coach coming off of a 3-9 season at UConn. They aren't asking for national championships, NIL isn't making him lose to FIU, Gerogia State, and Utah State.

I have seen Ruhle addressing the media and said they need 1.5 to 2 million to approach a portal QB to play for NU.  Talking heads claim he was addressing the fans and alumni for donations.  Anyway, I'm not surprised that coaches are asking for NIL money when their AD has got cash running out of their ears.  At least Mora is coaching at a BB school that is spending crap on FB and any cash the AD has goes to BB   I do agree he is a piece of crap thou, but not for asking for NIL donations. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
Avery is certainly about to be paid a lot. 

I bet all kinds of nervous NIL money rolls in.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »
The first team to really "figure out" NIL recruiting and how to make it work as one with HS and transfer portal recruits will have a LHC Bill Snyder/Juco type advantage for a couple of years.

As of right now it just seems like random NIL funds throwing money at players (ATM) which isn't really working.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2023, 09:47:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/bluebloodsbias/status/1734356162290839834

Ah, that blue bloods bias account is a Nebraska guy. McCord is meh, why he's going from Ohio State to Nebraska, and Raiola is currently committed to Georgia

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2023, 10:20:03 AM »
The first team to really "figure out" NIL recruiting and how to make it work as one with HS and transfer portal recruits will have a LHC Bill Snyder/Juco type advantage for a couple of years.

As of right now it just seems like random NIL funds throwing money at players (ATM) which isn't really working.

Yea at some point it will all balance out.  Imagine throwing a crap ton of $$ at kids and they still turn out a 6-6 type season.  This is the crap that will eventually calm the NIL waters. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2023, 11:25:05 AM »
According to Derek Young, Klieman wasn't "all in" on nil, until now. Not that he was against it but he didn't utilize it to it's fullest extent.

I read that as Klieman didn't cheat (using nil as an inducement) until now but now he sees everyone else is, so he will now too. Young also said that Klieman basically discouraged nil money from being used to keep Will Lee.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2023, 11:28:07 AM »
i regret not taking full advantage of the opportunity to say "Will Lee, the Wildcat"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 20, 2023, 11:42:35 PM »
Wildcat NIL feels like it must have a lot of "overhead."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2023, 01:26:25 PM »
The total NIL payout to Big XII teams was the highest of all five P5 conferences for 2023.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2024, 09:01:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/gehlkennfl/status/1752333725147295812

More players graduating. A positive outcome that I didn’t foresee.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2024, 01:08:12 PM »
I don't think that means more dudes are graduating, just less declaring early. I also think this is a combo of NIL and covid seasons still cycling out. The season that just completed was the last season of covid years for freshmen in 2020. The only covid years left are for players who redshirted in 2020 or since.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2024, 07:53:50 PM »
I don't think that means more dudes are graduating, just less declaring early. I also think this is a combo of NIL and covid seasons still cycling out. The season that just completed was the last season of covid years for freshmen in 2020. The only covid years left are for players who redshirted in 2020 or since.

In the past the conversation was always that you had a lot of guys declare early who ended up not making a roster and so they were only left with a signing bonus which may or may not be equivalent to a year's salary. I read it as NIL is enticing more of these young men to stick around rather than declare early. I doubt the number is that great but even if it's 20 or so a year that seems like a positive even if it's not that many for all of the money being invested in NIL.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2024, 10:39:26 AM »
Is the product that our qb is getting paid to be endorsing the nil collective itself?