Author Topic: The Real Estate Investing Thread  (Read 16526 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2023, 08:39:37 PM »

what do you think, clams?
if you don’t want to call it a crisis right now, that’s ok.  as spracs has said, the definition is debatable. what’s not debatable is that the current situation is only going to get much much worse in very short order. there’s a snowball going downhill and gaining momentum and a lot of good people will get run over by it.

it’s really unfortunate how we treat each other.

FWIW I honestly don't have an opinion on the KC housing market and was curious what your take was. (I don't have the knowledge to form an opinion tbh)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2023, 08:52:43 PM »
Fwiw, I don’t really think there’s a housing crisis in KC.  There’s plenty of affordable (~>300k) houses in/around KC.  Maybe not just really affordable nice houses.

I’m in favor of building more apartments/#plexes.  And i think they are, at least w/r/t apartments.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 08:57:00 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2023, 09:14:33 PM »
If it’s really a problem, maybe they should stop corporations from owning 1000’s of homes. Or, has KITN and his umpteen houses contributed to the discussion? Maybe tax the ever loving crap out of >2 homes and earmark it to subsidize housing?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2023, 09:25:25 PM »
Fwiw, I don’t really think there’s a housing crisis in KC.  There’s plenty of affordable (~>300k) houses in/around KC.  Maybe not just really affordable nice houses.

I’m in favor of building more apartments/#plexes.  And i think they are, at least w/r/t apartments.

The median home price in joco is 420k

https://www.redfin.com/county/1050/KS/Johnson-County/housing-market

It was 280k in 2018. 

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »
That’s the beauty of it. No one really wants to live in one.

Exactly, but more specifically they don’t want to live in areas zoned for high rises
You sure about that?

Anyway I don't think high rises are a solution, build something like 4 plexes in places like SF

https://ternercenter.berkeley.edu/research-and-policy/sb-9-turns-one-applications/

The future is now, old man
I mean clearly they need to be more aggressive

Who is they? Humans?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2023, 09:34:48 PM »

It was 280k in 2018.

Do u think prices are higher in joco bc of zoning  :lol:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2023, 09:36:11 PM »

It was 280k in 2018.

No, I think dlew is out of touch with median home prices
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2023, 09:37:29 PM »

Exactly, but more specifically they don’t want to live in areas zoned for high rises
You sure about that?

Anyway I don't think high rises are a solution, build something like 4 plexes in places like SF

https://ternercenter.berkeley.edu/research-and-policy/sb-9-turns-one-applications/

Who is they? Humans?
Mostly policy makers and the voting public. But a sizeable portion of the voting public wants housing prices to be as high as possible! It's a tricky problem!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2023, 09:40:59 PM »

It was 280k in 2018.

Do u think prices are higher in joco bc of zoning 

To be fair he clearly said "in/around Kansas City".

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2023, 09:56:23 PM »

It was 280k in 2018.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that housing prices have increased significantly since 2018.  Is a significant increase in median price a crisis? If it is, then yeah we’re in a crisis.

Fwiw, median price in wyco is 200k. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

You sure about that?

Who is they? Humans?
Mostly policy makers and the voting public. But a sizeable portion of the voting public wants housing prices to be as high as possible! It's a tricky problem!

Did you not see the part where policymakers are allowing people to build four units on lots zoned for single family homes or…

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2023, 04:09:56 AM »

You sure about that?

Who is they? Humans?

Did you not see the part where policymakers are allowing people to build four units on lots zoned for single family homes or…

Do you think "allowing people to build four units on lots zoned for single family homes" is an aggressive policy or...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2023, 06:39:35 AM »

It was 280k in 2018.
I have some shocking news about what literally everything on the planet costs today v. what it cost in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2023, 07:58:11 AM »

affordable for who?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2023, 07:59:11 AM »

what do you think, clams?
if you don’t want to call it a crisis right now, that’s ok.  as spracs has said, the definition is debatable. what’s not debatable is that the current situation is only going to get much much worse in very short order. there’s a snowball going downhill and gaining momentum and a lot of good people will get run over by it.

it’s really unfortunate how we treat each other.

FWIW I honestly don't have an opinion on the KC housing market and was curious what your take was. (I don't have the knowledge to form an opinion tbh)

i know, i  wasn’t suggesting that you were saying one or the other.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2023, 08:00:49 AM »

affordable for who?
People who can afford houses for at or around 300k.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2023, 08:40:20 AM »
We aren't building enough housing where it's needed (where people want/need to live). As to the definition of a crisis, we could quibble about the meaning of that. If you want to call it a "major housing problem" for mollification purposes, I'm alright with that, too. It's a major problem in big(ger) cities.

The inability to build more housing seems like the #1 factor in the affordability crisis we're seeing in major cities. It also seems like being a NIMBY is the most broadly bipartisan position held by Americans. Yes, it varies by city. But about a third of all Americans live in metros with major affordability problems. “Major affordability” problems meaning the median income is nowhere close to enough to own a home in the city. Places like LA, NY, SF, but also Seattle, Austin, Denver, San Diego, Miami, etc.
So first world crisis?

anglo world crisis.  it doesn't seem to happen much in non-english speaking countries.

I remember listening to someone who I believe was an aid worker and they said that Port-au-Prince had some of the highest housing prices in the world. I don't know if that is still the case today.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2023, 09:18:43 AM »
If it’s really a problem, maybe they should stop corporations from owning 1000’s of homes. Or, has KITN and his umpteen houses contributed to the discussion? Maybe tax the ever loving crap out of >2 homes and earmark it to subsidize housing?
Houses are not my niche. I wouldn't say I support wall street buying houses, though. At same time, if the government wants to get involved, promote the building of houses through whatever incentive makes the most sense.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2023, 11:08:33 AM »
Can’t have much of a housing crisis convo without discussing rent. I’ll go first. I live in a small suburb of Kc. No real growth for 20+ years.

Friend of mine had a house fire during Covid and had to rent a house in my town while his was being rebuilt. He needed min 3 bedrooms and there were only 2 on the market, both at 3br. Both are in slight disrepair(for example he couldn’t use the deck on the one he eventually rented due to it being unsafe).  He went with the slightly less expensive one for $3,500/month.

Houses in this town that were $110k 5yrs ago are going in the low to mid $200’s now.

One of the issues in my town is that one local builder owns nearly all the undeveloped land and is developing one neighborhood at a time. I say that loosely, because he hasn’t started the next phase and the neighborhood has been full for about 2-3yr.

The material pricing craziness harmed prices, and affected house costs and rents, but the lack of skilled labor is even more so the problem around here. I am currently hiring at my company and indeed.com is filthy with out of work carpenters who have been making $90-$110/yr for the last 3-4 yrs.

In my town, I don’t think zoning will help.

To expand to discussing the region, I think one of the best things that could be done would be regulating so that homes can’t be purchased by investment groups. Maybe a law that you can’t own more than a 2-3 houses.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »
Very civil discussion. Good job, everyone. I agree that something needs to be done about investment groups buying up single-family homes at an alarming clip, but I'm unsure what can be done, legally.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2023, 12:03:30 PM »
CNS that's crazy. My mom rents a 3br in PV for $1800
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2023, 12:12:56 PM »

affordable for who?
People who can afford houses for at or around 300k.

What percentage of the population would you say this is?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »

You sure about that?

Who is they? Humans?

Do you think "allowing people to build four units on lots zoned for single family homes" is an aggressive policy or...

You literally said four-plexes were the solution my dude…

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2023, 12:16:00 PM »

You sure about that?

Who is they? Humans?

You literally said four-plexes were the solution my dude…
Ok

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Very civil discussion. Good job, everyone. I agree that something needs to be done about investment groups buying up single-family homes at an alarming clip, but I'm unsure what can be done, legally.

I would assume that this could be regulated just like the banking industry could be regulated. By passing a law at the federal level. Maybe that could only stop investors buying properties outside of their state?  I don’t know, but this one thing is going to drive a dreary future for our kids if something isn’t resolved or some other changes aren’t made to the relief of the market.

Home ownership is basically the secret to building middle class wealth in America and “starter” homes are now too expensive to be starter homes. This also ties heavily into depressed wages and increases in college costs/loans.

I fear for America’s middle class.