Author Topic: The Real Estate Investing Thread  (Read 15541 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2023, 02:46:30 PM »
We should all be living in highly dense multi family units but I hate the thought of it.

IMO, while I am fine with single family homes it's too much, as is too much urban. Europe has it most right, row houses and mid dense apartments/condos with walkable areas and spaces should be the norm. Cottages/single family as you get away from city centers but still keep it "not surburban"

Really whatever helps with walkability and less dependent on cars, with some good public transportation.
suburbia rough ridin' rules.  yards.  bigger houses.  garages. buffalo wilds wings.

row housing is small and stupid and devoid of yards.  i don't want to a share a wall with my neighbors.  maybe i could live with it if i lived in a shrimpy country like the UK, but here in america, we got room to enjoy ourselves a bit.

Yet we still have a housing crisis. Curious!

I’m sure they are completely unrelated

100%, also notice I didn't say we couldn't have both, but def we zone to make sure we don't have both
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2023, 02:49:05 PM »
You guys can take my 1 acre estate lot, with super private back yard and pool, when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2023, 02:50:03 PM »
We should all be living in highly dense multi family units but I hate the thought of it.

IMO, while I am fine with single family homes it's too much, as is too much urban. Europe has it most right, row houses and mid dense apartments/condos with walkable areas and spaces should be the norm. Cottages/single family as you get away from city centers but still keep it "not surburban"

Really whatever helps with walkability and less dependent on cars, with some good public transportation.
suburbia rough ridin' rules.  yards.  bigger houses.  garages. buffalo wilds wings.

row housing is small and stupid and devoid of yards.  i don't want to a share a wall with my neighbors.  maybe i could live with it if i lived in a shrimpy country like the UK, but here in america, we got room to enjoy ourselves a bit.

Does the KC metro have a housing crisis?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »

I don't know. I don't live there. PV seems to think it does. I'm speaking on a macro level--across all metros.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2023, 02:57:11 PM »

it depends on who you ask

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2023, 03:08:46 PM »
what do you think, clams?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2023, 03:14:35 PM »

Is it really a crisis?

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2023, 03:20:01 PM »

Is it really a crisis?
It wasn't just a few years ago.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2023, 03:26:01 PM »
What exactly is the crisis now?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2023, 03:49:09 PM »
We aren't building enough housing where it's needed (where people want/need to live). As to the definition of a crisis, we could quibble about the meaning of that. If you want to call it a "major housing problem" for mollification purposes, I'm alright with that, too. It's a major problem in big(ger) cities.

The inability to build more housing seems like the #1 factor in the affordability crisis we're seeing in major cities. It also seems like being a NIMBY is the most broadly bipartisan position held by Americans. Yes, it varies by city. But about a third of all Americans live in metros with major affordability problems. “Major affordability” problems meaning the median income is nowhere close to enough to own a home in the city. Places like LA, NY, SF, but also Seattle, Austin, Denver, San Diego, Miami, etc.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2023, 03:55:28 PM »
The American dream is dead and CNS with his corner lot murdered it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2023, 04:01:55 PM »
We aren't building enough housing where it's needed (where people want/need to live). As to the definition of a crisis, we could quibble about the meaning of that. If you want to call it a "major housing problem" for mollification purposes, I'm alright with that, too. It's a major problem in big(ger) cities.

The inability to build more housing seems like the #1 factor in the affordability crisis we're seeing in major cities. It also seems like being a NIMBY is the most broadly bipartisan position held by Americans. Yes, it varies by city. But about a third of all Americans live in metros with major affordability problems. “Major affordability” problems meaning the median income is nowhere close to enough to own a home in the city. Places like LA, NY, SF, but also Seattle, Austin, Denver, San Diego, Miami, etc.
So first world crisis?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2023, 04:03:29 PM »
Walkability is so low on my neighborhood priorities it doesn't even register. Cars rule.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2023, 04:04:49 PM »

So first world crisis?

anglo world crisis.  it doesn't seem to happen much in non-english speaking countries.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2023, 04:11:00 PM »

So first world crisis?

anglo world crisis.  it doesn't seem to happen much in non-english speaking countries.

Depends on how you categorize a crisis but there are definitely affordability challenges in Berlin and Vietnam (off the top of my head). I'm sure there are way more places with similar issues

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2023, 04:16:30 PM »
The cost of living in Berlin is just above the European average and yet the vibrant city is the cheapest capital city in Western Europe

https://housinganywhere.com/Berlin--Germany/cost-of-living-berlin
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »

All of those places have areas zoned for high rises. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2023, 04:20:33 PM »
That’s the beauty of it. No one really wants to live in one.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2023, 04:25:57 PM »
The cost of living in Berlin is just above the European average and yet the vibrant city is the cheapest capital city in Western Europe

https://housinganywhere.com/Berlin--Germany/cost-of-living-berlin
Like I said depends on how you define a crisis

Berlin’s soaring rents, increasing 85% between 2007 and 2019, are tremendously impacting the population, of which 80% rent their homes.

https://theeconreview.com/2022/11/30/berlins-worsening-housing-crisis-how-a-failed-rental-referendum-impacted-its-population-and-europes-refugees/

Plus western European capitols aren't exactly affordable!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2023, 04:35:04 PM »

Exactly, but more specifically they don’t want to live in areas zoned for high rises

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2023, 05:01:35 PM »

Exactly, but more specifically they don’t want to live in areas zoned for high rises
You sure about that?

Anyway I don't think high rises are a solution, build something like 4 plexes in places like SF

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2023, 05:06:28 PM »
It's really a cultural problem, at least here. There's a lot of "I gots mine, screw you," there's a robust car culture (WHY ISN'T THERE ENOUGH PARKING?), there's a lot of zoning restrictions (which dovetails with NIMBYism), and there's a lot of American Dreamin' going on, which manifests as a license to be unapologetically selfish, especially when you wrap yourself in the willing protection of the law.

Again, this is on a macro scale. I'm not accusing any of you of being guilty of anything in particular. And as I acknowledged, it is very location-dependent. Still, a third of Americans live in metros that wrestle (poorly) with this problem. More density and fewer cars would be better for many, many reasons, but I understand that's not a very white-midwestern-popular stance. But it's mine, and I'll own it.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2023, 05:52:05 PM »

You sure about that?

Anyway I don't think high rises are a solution, build something like 4 plexes in places like SF

https://ternercenter.berkeley.edu/research-and-policy/sb-9-turns-one-applications/

The future is now, old man

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »

You sure about that?

https://ternercenter.berkeley.edu/research-and-policy/sb-9-turns-one-applications/

The future is now, old man
I mean clearly they need to be more aggressive

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »
what do you think, clams?
if you don’t want to call it a crisis right now, that’s ok.  as spracs has said, the definition is debatable. what’s not debatable is that the current situation is only going to get much much worse in very short order. there’s a snowball going downhill and gaining momentum and a lot of good people will get run over by it.

it’s really unfortunate how we treat each other.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.