Author Topic: The Real Estate Investing Thread  (Read 15504 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2023, 11:21:08 PM »
My company has a 3 day in the office, 2 day WFH policy.

That’s my dream scenario, but full time officer here. :sad:
How much you makin’ clearly wantin’ to brag bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2023, 11:45:53 PM »
Kinda late for you to be up, stevedave.  You seem a little grumpy.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2023, 12:42:11 AM »
If I was ever told I had to go back into the office at all I would quit on the spot. Too addicted to my home field and the flexibility with kids activities and whatnot. Obviously I travel for work and get my team in for meetings and crap but just daily bullshit isn’t happening. Also I could probably go a full year without “needing” anything more than my phone. Laptop makes pounding out long emails easier but I could throw it in the river and nobody would know for probably 6 months at least.

Same. I have the coworking space for when I want to be in an office but I would never take a job I couldn’t be fully remote ever again. I invested a lot of money in my office and love the flexibility it affords.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2023, 07:37:06 AM »
When executives demand returning to the office this is why, obviously

https://twitter.com/daniromerotv/status/1646879986937380865?s=46&t=odWzhuZU7P443NcVwlC1iQ

It seems to me that a lot of commercial real estate could be converted to residential.
I will take the other side of that. If you think the market will solve that, I have some bad news for you. If cities do this, then they will get worked over on the terms and bail someone out and it will produce like one building that costs $400 billion that no one wants to live in.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2023, 05:21:42 PM »
at my old job they hired a woman fresh out of college as a project hire (meaning for the life of the project although tons of project hires ended up permanent) and then like 6 months later she got pregnant, transitioned to an office job, then maternity or whatever then came back for like two months and got pregnant again.

they (at least or so i was told) were desperate to fire her, but were afraid to.  i left before she came back from her second maternity leave so i don't have a resolution to the story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2023, 10:02:21 PM »
That happens a lot. We have 3 months paternity leave and dudes work like 9 month stretches and take 3 months off. Get to plow through vacation days during the 9 months too. So jealous (didn’t have it when I had my dozens of children).

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2023, 08:53:06 AM »
Guy at my work lasted about 3-5 months before he decided he didn’t really want to work anymore. Had a kid, went on leave, came back,  and basically tried to do nothing at all for a couple months. When he was threatened with firing he took another job with a massive signing bonus and went on paternity leave again for the same kid.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2023, 06:22:26 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2023, 08:57:28 AM »

I think I’m a Market Urbanist

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2023, 10:23:07 AM »

Yeah, I'm either there or Streets Cleaner.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »

You’d both be nimbys if anyone tried to build a high rise next to your homes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2023, 10:44:40 AM »

Maybe, but it'd be a weird circumstance to build a high-rise next to my home.  There is definitely a big, unsightly apartment building adjacent to my neighborhood though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2023, 10:46:10 AM »
SF housing is a combo of Local Nativist and Anti-Gentrifier

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2023, 10:46:52 AM »

Maybe, but it'd be a weird circumstance to build a high-rise next to my home.  There is definitely a big, unsightly apartment building adjacent to my neighborhood though.

every nimby thinks it would be a weird circumstance to build a high rise next to their home

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2023, 10:52:17 AM »
At this moment in my life, I'm a YIMBY.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2023, 11:36:42 AM »
downtown area: aesthete
out in the boonies: private property absolutist

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2023, 01:03:52 PM »

prairie village is exploring the idea of letting people build what equates to carriage houses in residents’ back yards and letting them rent them out in an effort to create more affordable housing.  the lots in pv generally are tiny and homes are already built on top of each other.

i’m sure they are all on acid or some other type of drug

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »
We should all be living in highly dense multi family units but I hate the thought of it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2023, 01:19:45 PM »

every nimby thinks it would be a weird circumstance to build a high rise next to their home

Dunno what exactly is considered high rise, but they're going to put up a big multistory mixed use place about a block and a half from me. I'm fine with it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2023, 01:54:38 PM »
We should all be living in highly dense multi family units but I hate the thought of it.

IMO, while I am fine with single family homes it's too much, as is too much urban. Europe has it most right, row houses and mid dense apartments/condos with walkable areas and spaces should be the norm. Cottages/single family as you get away from city centers but still keep it "not surburban"

Really whatever helps with walkability and less dependent on cars, with some good public transportation.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »

IMO, while I am fine with single family homes it's too much, as is too much urban. Europe has it most right, row houses and mid dense apartments/condos with walkable areas and spaces should be the norm. Cottages/single family as you get away from city centers but still keep it "not surburban"

Really whatever helps with walkability and less dependent on cars, with some good public transportation.

*Snob alert*

Brooklyn is actually a well-designed suburb (or a lot of it is) close to what you describe. Incredibly pleasant place to live but designed to "live" and commute to Manhattan. Biggest issue is its transit is too "suburban" which can make traveling within Brooklyn a bit of a pain compared to going into Manhattan.

I don't think you can create a new community like that though.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »

suburbia rough ridin' rules.  yards.  bigger houses.  garages. buffalo wilds wings.

row housing is small and stupid and devoid of yards.  i don't want to a share a wall with my neighbors.  maybe i could live with it if i lived in a shrimpy country like the UK, but here in america, we got room to enjoy ourselves a bit.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2023, 02:43:39 PM »

suburbia rough ridin' rules.  yards.  bigger houses.  garages. buffalo wilds wings.

row housing is small and stupid and devoid of yards.  i don't want to a share a wall with my neighbors.  maybe i could live with it if i lived in a shrimpy country like the UK, but here in america, we got room to enjoy ourselves a bit.

Yet we still have a housing crisis. Curious!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »

Yet we still have a housing crisis. Curious!

I’m sure they are completely unrelated
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best