Author Topic: which seniors are staying?  (Read 13692 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: which seniors are staying?
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »
It's amazing to me that people seem to assume that (a) Howard will not improve and (b) Rubely, in virtue of being somewhat highly rated, will be good. The only thing I'd bet on is that Howard will get better.

I don't think Howard will improve much based on a season of getting a lot of snaps, both in-game and practice, and seemingly not improving.  His first string snaps in practice are done.  I think Rubley is more talented and, provided he has the year to bake in our system under Sky, will beat out Howard in 2022.  While nothing is guaranteed, I really don't think either of those are terribly bold statements.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »
Here's another way to think about it. It's amazing to me that people seem to assume that Rubely would have been a better 2020 K-State QB than Howard was. There's almost nothing to base that on.

You are also completely discounting impartial assessments of the two quarterbacks. If all things considered equal the expectation should be that Rubley will be better than Howard, until Rubley or Howard have proven otherwise.

When I made my proclamation in early October that Rubley would never start a game here it was off the assumption that Howard would have outperformed his high school evaluation, that turned out not to be the case, he didn't perform any better than you would expect a low 3 star prospect to perform. Doesn't mean he can't or won't get better, but he didn't outperform his projection. If Rubley performs to his projection, that was made by the same impartial observers that observed Howard, he will be a better quarterback.

It's like saying the incoming freshman chemistry student with a 3.8 high school GPA and a 31 ACT will likely be a better college student than the sophomore who just finished her freshman year with a 3.2 cumulative GPA, who had a 3.4 in high school with a 25 ACT.

There's nothing wrong or flawed with thinking that Rubley will be a better quarterback.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2020, 08:43:58 AM »
I think we all want Rubley to be the guy in 2022. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
It's amazing to me that people seem to assume that (a) Howard will not improve and (b) Rubely, in virtue of being somewhat highly rated, will be good. The only thing I'd bet on is that Howard will get better.

I don't think Howard will improve much based on a season of getting a lot of snaps, both in-game and practice, and seemingly not improving.  His first string snaps in practice are done.  I think Rubley is more talented and, provided he has the year to bake in our system under Sky, will beat out Howard in 2022.  While nothing is guaranteed, I really don't think either of those are terribly bold statements.

I think history tells us generally both that players (especially freshmen!) improve over time and that physically impressive high school QBs are pretty hit or miss.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »
Here's another way to think about it. It's amazing to me that people seem to assume that Rubely would have been a better 2020 K-State QB than Howard was. There's almost nothing to base that on.

Maybe you missed the tweet that MIR sent
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2020, 08:47:56 AM »

You are also completely discounting impartial assessments of the two quarterbacks.

Not completely. But also not assigning nearly as much value to them.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »

You are also completely discounting impartial assessments of the two quarterbacks.

Not completely. But also not assigning nearly as much value to them.

I mean, 100 Rubelys beats 100 Howards any day. But we're only talking about one of each.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
what was the story about Ell? that he could sit on the floor at one end of the hallway in his dorm and throw an apple and hit the exit sign at the other end of the hall? i'm guessing nobody has made any such musings about our guy Will

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2020, 09:09:42 AM »

I think history tells us generally both that players (especially freshmen!) improve over time and that physically impressive high school QBs are pretty hit or miss.

Rubley is coming in much higher rated than Howard was.  The 2020 season has told us that Howard was, at best, accurately rated coming out of HS.  Given that information, I don't know why Howard would be expected to be better than Rubley.

Rubley will have a freshman year to learn and improve under Skyler, same as Howard so I don't know why that matters.  Even if physically impressive QBs are hit or miss, a physically impressive miss would be better than whatever type of miss Howard is right now.

It's certainly not a given as any recruit is kind of like taking what is behind door #2, but I agree with whoever said it was like 85% Rubley.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »

Here's yet another reminder that Howard gave the ball to the other teams more times than he either ran or threw it into the endzone in all 7 games he started.

It's not going to be hard to beat him.

I don't think this is accurate! Or know why you would exclude Tech.

But I agree improving his decision making and ball control is probably most important for him to make an impact down the line.

I'm always accurate.

I excluded Tech because as I said originally, he didn't start.

TCU: 1 INT 0 TD
KU: 1 Fumble 2 TD
WVU: 3 INT 1 TD
OSU: 1 INT 1 Fumble 1 TD
ISU: 1 INT 0 TD
RapeU: 2 INT 1 TD
UT: 2 INT 1 Fumble 2 TD

Total: 12 Turnovers 7 Touchdowns

So even if I had included the 1 touchdown he accounted for in the Tech game, he still gave it to the other teams far more often.

you're not counting rushing TD's

INACCURATE!!!

also there were clearly games where he accounted for more TD's than TO's while you said he didn't do that in "all 7 games he started". In total that's true but not when you look at each individual game

INACCURATE!!!!

Son of a bitch... that's what I get for getting in a hurry. New numbers now including rushing touchdowns are as follows:

TCU: 1 INT 1 TD
OSU: 1 INT 1 Fumble 2 TD
RapeU: 2 INT 2 TD

13 Turnovers and 10 Touchdowns

Will Howard only had 1 rushing touchdown against Tech, so that still doesn't change anything. I didn't state explicitly that I was talking his season totals, so that one can be on me. However, I meant overall, not each individual game. Having said that, you still look at those game breakdowns and it's not good.

He just flat out sucks at protecting the ball and we're never going to be a successful program with him under center unless that dramatically changes.

He didn't lose a fumble against KU

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »

Nobody itt is saying either of those things as far as I can tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said they seem to assume. I don't know how else people would conclude that Rubely should beat out Howard.

Yeah when someone says Howard has zero upside I think it's fair to assume they think he won't improve

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »

Here's yet another reminder that Howard gave the ball to the other teams more times than he either ran or threw it into the endzone in all 7 games he started.

It's not going to be hard to beat him.

I don't think this is accurate! Or know why you would exclude Tech.

But I agree improving his decision making and ball control is probably most important for him to make an impact down the line.

I'm always accurate.

I excluded Tech because as I said originally, he didn't start.

TCU: 1 INT 0 TD
OSU: 1 INT 1 Fumble 1 TD
RapeU: 2 INT 1 TD

Total: 12 Turnovers 7 Touchdowns

So even if I had included the 1 touchdown he accounted for in the Tech game, he still gave it to the other teams far more often.

you're not counting rushing TD's

INACCURATE!!!

also there were clearly games where he accounted for more TD's than TO's while you said he didn't do that in "all 7 games he started". In total that's true but not when you look at each individual game

INACCURATE!!!!

Son of a bitch... that's what I get for getting in a hurry. New numbers now including rushing touchdowns are as follows:

TCU: 1 INT 1 TD
OSU: 1 INT 1 Fumble 2 TD
RapeU: 2 INT 2 TD

13 Turnovers and 10 Touchdowns

Will Howard only had 1 rushing touchdown against Tech, so that still doesn't change anything. I didn't state explicitly that I was talking his season totals, so that one can be on me. However, I meant overall, not each individual game. Having said that, you still look at those game breakdowns and it's not good.

He just flat out sucks at protecting the ball and we're never going to be a successful program with him under center unless that dramatically changes.

He didn't lose a fumble against KU

Damn... that was Mozee. Welp, I'm clearly never accurate. 12 Turnovers 10 TD's

I feel like this still doesn't matter though as the ratio of turnovers to touchdowns is just so terrible that being off one or two either way just doesn't change how anyone should feel about him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
I guess my feeling is his stats are meaningless. he's a frosh put into a shitty position and asked to deliver. he did fine stats wise imo. it's his looking like maybe he's not a good qb that's the concerning part.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
I don’t think sky will make it the whole season so we will probably get to see sooner than 2022

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »
I think we will likely try to redshirt Rubley next year and Howard will be the backup, depending on what the season is looking like if Sky gets injured.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
I think we will likely try to redshirt Rubley next year and Howard will be the backup, depending on what the season is looking like if Sky gets injured.

You can use them in 4 games and still redshirt so plenty of opportunity to give him some real game reps for kind of a best of both worlds scenario.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
Wait, is there a chance we can have a quarterback like Ell again?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
This coaching staff doesn’t like those kind of QB’s

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
i feel like i've watched enough of will in game to know who he is and isn't. i think he'll get better and if we were forced to only play him and only him for the next three years, i'd feel pretty decent about what he'd become by his senior year. i don't hate him or his potential.

Rubley just looks different though. You watch him step and throw (and i watched junior year of high school video) and you go oh ok. wow. he just looks the part. like if you knew nothing about either and uniforms were covered up and all the other players on the field were hidden and you only got to see the qb and how he looked and threw and the ball coming out, junior year in highschool rubley looks josh freemanesque  and freshman at kstate will howard looks like brian kavanaugh/carson coffman.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
how did will howard's high school videos look?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »

They have been purged from the internet’s

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »

You can use them in 4 games and still redshirt so plenty of opportunity to give him some real game reps for kind of a best of both worlds scenario.

Does this year count for Howard eligibility wise? Or is just for seniors coming back?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »

Does this year count for Howard eligibility wise? Or is just for seniors coming back?

He will be a freshman next year again, and could redshirt and be a redshirt freshman in 2022

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
so maybe by the time of Howard's final final year he'll be a crafty 34 yo veteran and know the schemes so good he just wins

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
Looked pretty good to me, imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]