Author Topic: arguments for oscar  (Read 7323 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: arguments for oscar
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
This is weird.

Maybe the apathy factor is greater here in TITLETOWN but it feels like KSO is 10x more in the angry  "fire oscar NOW" camp than gE right now.

The devil you know...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
This is weird.

Maybe the apathy factor is greater here in TITLETOWN but it feels like KSO is 10x more in the angry  "fire oscar NOW" camp than gE right now.

KSO is full of reactionary emotional dweebs. we are much more level headed

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2020, 04:03:58 PM »
This is weird.

I mean, gone are the days when gE used to bring this level of energy to the question of who would coach the 'Cats....

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
who would we get that was better? too soon to hire gregg marshall?

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
Great point, SB. oscar didn't need a double OT victory to make it to the elite 8 vs a team he had already rolled that year.
And I’m not sure if you saw this recently, but he also lost at home by 13 to a winless Fort Hays State team who had neither their head coach nor their main assistant coach.
who coached the game for them then? maybe we should hire that guy

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »
He's under contract and that should count for something.  :th_twocents:

yeah, and it is a gross af contract

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 04:32:44 PM »
This is weird.

I mean, gone are the days when gE used to bring this level of energy to the question of who would coach the 'Cats....

that was rational, well considered, long term anger

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
I'm not anti-oscar, but he frustrates the hell out of me as a fan.  I wish the rebuilding seasons could be .500 basketball versus suck-hard-ass-lose-to-crap-opponents basketball. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:11 PM »
you want him kissing dudes during a pandemic?

obviously
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »
Remember when Frank's team only beat FHSU by 8 and he said that line about "If they don't [whatever it was], I'm gonna destroy them"? :love: And we all thought the sky was falling because we didn't beat them by double digits?

Now Oscar loses to FHSU by 13 and the response on gE is actually more subdued. Because Oscar has killed excitement around Qat hoops...because he's not fun.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
I'm not anti-oscar, but he frustrates the hell out of me as a fan.  I wish the rebuilding seasons could be .500 basketball versus suck-hard-ass-lose-to-crap-opponents basketball.

Any other coach who'd won the conf. twice and gone to the elite 8 would have a .500 rebuild season but this is oscar.

This is KSU, we don't build on our successes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »
On a ksu sports message board talking about how little you care  :jerk:

You all had fun during the elite 8 run

2OT Xavier fun?
To be fair, I don't think any game in a tourney could be more fun unless the stakes were higher (FF, NC game).

That game was nuts regardless of you were a fan or not.

Unpopular opinion, I did not have fun watching that game, I was a wreck, by the time we pulled away in the 2nd OT I was drained.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 07:46:57 PM »
Guys, the freshmen are very good, this might not be an argument for keeping oscar though.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
On a ksu sports message board talking about how little you care  :jerk:

You all had fun during the elite 8 run

2OT Xavier fun?
To be fair, I don't think any game in a tourney could be more fun unless the stakes were higher (FF, NC game).

That game was nuts regardless of you were a fan or not.

Unpopular opinion, I did not have fun watching that game, I was a wreck, by the time we pulled away in the 2nd OT I was drained.
You are not alone, it only became fun after we won.  I was wrecked. Glad we won, but literally felt bad for xavier players, both teams deserved to win.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »
who would we get that was better? too soon to hire gregg marshall?

Exactly, finding a guy that can completely change the program is a big crapshoot. Will be a longshot to find someone to even match oscar’s results. Best to ride it out with while he can give us really good teams some of the time. How many coaches out there are winning 25 a year? Even 20 a year. Frank’s only had 2 20+ seasons in 9 years. oscar has had 3 25+ seasons in that span.

You know what’s fun? Our amazing freshmen.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
Yesterday I really wanted oscar fired out of spite and boredom. But 4 years of the freshman might lead to another big year or two. I can ride a Rollercoaster as long as the peaks are constant.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
We don't need someone to completely change the program, there's talent. His offense was too restrictive for last years team and it will be for these guys too, he needs to let them play. That Hoosiers bullshit was fine for Brown, Stokes, and Wade because those teams weren't particularly athletic, but this team is and he has two big men that seem to be good rim runners too. These dudes can't defend in the half court anyway so why make them?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
We don't need someone to completely change the program, there's talent. His offense was too restrictive for last years team and it will be for these guys too, he needs to let them play. That Hoosiers bullshit was fine for Brown, Stokes, and Wade because those teams weren't particularly athletic, but this team is and he has two big men that seem to be good rim runners too. These dudes can't defend in the half court anyway so why make them?

I can’t tell if you are being serious about the 18 and 19 squad being not particularly athletic.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2020, 10:55:04 PM »
The Hoosiers bullshit worked because Brown and Wade could generate offense in one on one matchups late in the shot clock after 25 seconds of useless passing and running around. It's why he was so successful with Angel too.

I have only watched a little this year but my guess is these freshmen just need to put their heads down and get to the rim.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
So...

We’ve got some freshmen that could be ballers in a couple years as long as they ignore oscar’s coaching.

oscar only sucks some of the time and might be good again in a couple years.  See above.

We can’t take a chance on another coach because he might suck all of the time instead of just some of the time.

Okay, I’m convinced. Let’s keep him.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »
sleep tight SLTH lovers

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2020, 01:51:44 AM »

I can’t tell if you are being serious about the 18 and 19 squad being not particularly athletic.

They were some fantastic basketball players but as a whole, they weren't particularly athletic. Rusty talked about it a bit. Barry could put his head down and create something, but it wasn't like he was getting to the rim at will, there was a reason he was a master of the midrange. Kam and Dean also again largely relied on the flow of the offense to get them shots, if we ever cleared out, which was hardly ever the end result of that was the ball going out to the perimeter and the movement of the ball created scoring chances. X's athleticism was overrated, sure he could jump and moved decently well for his size, but his game never relied on that athleticism, unless it was for the occasional oboard. Carti was athletic a.f. and he helped us when we had the big 3 but of course without them that athleticism didn't really mean much.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:20:59 AM by MakeItRain »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2020, 02:13:05 AM »
The Hoosiers bullshit worked because Brown and Wade could generate offense in one on one matchups late in the shot clock after 25 seconds of useless passing and running around. It's why he was so successful with Angel too.

I have only watched a little this year but my guess is these freshmen just need to put their heads down and get to the rim.

It's so early for this but as good as Pack has been he doesn't show signs that he's either able to do this or he knows exactly when he's needed to go to the rim. Selton absolutely could look like someone who can and will breakdown a defense when he needs to, but this game was an outlier so we'll see. Rudi also looked game for putting his head down and getting to the basket. I'll have to see more before I can determine that this was more the ball moving to create these opportunities or them doing it themselves. In this game they seemed to get a lot from the baseline even Bradford created that space by flashing to the elbow. This makes me think that this is more of a factor of the offense than their ability to break down someone 1-on-1 but we'll see.

The game changer as far as shot creation is Bradford. He's the first reliable, back to the basket shot maker oscar has had here. Gip had some jyc qualities to his game that created opportunities, and Dean could back someone up if he had a size advantage, like against Brady Manek, but Davion seems to be the first guy we've had who is always available who we can dump it down to in a pinch. The most promising thing about him is that 5 games into his college career his very good hands are already apparent. As I'm sure you know any big man who can move and who has good hands can absolutely take over a college game if needed. I'm worried about his fitness level, especially with Ez on crutches, and I'm also worried about how susceptible he will be up getting pulled out defensively in a 5 out situation, but he might end up being the best player in this class.

It didn't work but I did like that oscar offense for defensed him late against Milwaukee because he recognized that they would pull him away from the lane on defense, so oscar put Antonio in so they could switch every screen. Again it didn't work, they pretty much scored at will late. Ez can stay on the floor in these situations, but he isn't nearly as reliable on the offensive end as Davion is.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »
Carti and Sneed are probably the most athletic players we’ve had since Walker and Sutton. Just my  :th_twocents:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2020, 08:08:52 AM »
Carti and Sneed are probably the most athletic players we’ve had since Walker and Sutton. Just my  :th_twocents:

Yea I’m just going to agree to disagree on the athleticism point but I am LBBIQ.   I do think oscar got 4 really good basketball players in Pack, Miguel, Bradford, and Kasubke but the 2019 class has been a major disappointment.  He doesn’t have any instant impact guys lined up for 2021, so you basically have had 1 good class in 6 years and that crap will get ya fired.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best