Poll

WHICH IS IT?

INSTANT POT
AIR FRYER

Author Topic: Which is the Kitchen Gadget of our Generation?  (Read 4705 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the Kitchen Gadget of our Generation?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
which generation invented the garlic press?

also which generation claims the immersion blender?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
Does robot vacuum fall into the scope of this debate or strictly kitchen appliance?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »
Everyone is hyping the air fryer yet my vote is the only one sitting up there.
Tapatalk, man. Can't see the polls.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »
Because of ease of use and cleaning, I'm going to go with the air fryer. I haven't used the instant pot, it's my wife's thing and tbh it sort of intimidates me. I also seem to always get stuck cleaning it and it's 15 billion small parts. Air fryer, just a basin and a one piece grate.
Four pieces. Pot, seal, thing seal encompasses, and lid. Sorry about your luck.

You're supposed to take all of those little pieces off the lid when you clean it, the stream gets inside of those seams and I'd presume would cause mildew.
Ah. Only one on our lid. The screen for the vent.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »
i think there's some recency bias going on here because i would submit that the magic bullet is probably the gadget of our generation (i'm assuming the magic bullet still falls under this generation?)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
i think there's some recency bias going on here because i would submit that the magic bullet is probably the gadget of our generation (i'm assuming the magic bullet still falls under this generation?)

These are cheap. I assume you just use it for smoothies?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »

yeah i mean i guess that's pretty much the primary function of it...blending ingredients usually to make various shakes/smoothies.  But there is still something to be said for that! also it seemed like between 2005-2010 everybody wanted them and was getting them.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
new ovens have air fryers built into them  :sdeek:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
An “air fryer” is a convection oven
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »
silicone should be mentioned

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2020, 01:04:26 AM »
An “air fryer” is a convection oven

Pretty much yeah, but people don't have convection ovens in their houses. Also convection ovens are incredibly reliable in cooking food unevenly and inconsistently.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2020, 01:05:31 AM »
Everyone is hyping the air fryer yet my vote is the only one sitting up there.
Tapatalk, man. Can't see the polls.

Ary fryer getting it's ass stomped 9-4

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »

had the old one when it wasn't that well known. That think lasted years and would grind a rock. It finally died so I got a replacement. It died in a couple of months and I could tell immediately that it wasn't the same. The old ones were great though.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
We have this kitchen gadget called "The Griddler." It is like an extra large George Foreman Grill with these interchangeable plates that can be used to make waffles, pancakes, panini sandwiches, quesadillas or grilled cheeses (which is 65% of my kids' diet).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
We have this kitchen gadget called "The Griddler." It is like an extra large George Foreman Grill with these interchangeable plates that can be used to make waffles, pancakes, panini sandwiches, quesadillas or grilled cheeses (which is 65% of my kids' diet).

i have one of those too.  it was an impulse purchase a few years ago, picked it up during a gold box (or God box, amrite?) $50. i don't use it a lot but it's good to grill hamburgers on instead of getting my stove top all greased up.  because when that happens i feel bad for my cleaning lady.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »

i have one of those too.  it was an impulse purchase a few years ago, picked it up during a gold box (or God box, amrite?) $50. i don't use it a lot but it's good to grill hamburgers on instead of getting my stove top all greased up.  because when that happens i feel bad for my cleaning lady.
I've never cooked any meats outside of sausages and hot dogs on it. My wife didn't trust it at first (just attached to the single-purpose Belgian waffle maker) but has grown to love it. We have this cheesy inside joke where I sing "don't fear the griddler" (instead of don't fear the reaper) when I pull it out of the cabinet. Making waffles with the kids on the weekend has become a deeply ingrained ritual so I'm kind of sentimental about it....

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
The affordable household automatic & semi-automatic espresso machines get a write in.  Not the pod machines, but the ones where you have some control over the quality or espresso made.

But like the sous vide, not widely enough used.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
The affordable household automatic & semi-automatic espresso machines get a write in.  Not the pod machines, but the ones where you have some control over the quality or espresso made.

Which one do you recommend? I've used a french press from time to time (especially when camping) but I always fall back to drip brew because it is faster and easier to clean

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »

Which one do you recommend? I've used a french press from time to time (especially when camping) but I always fall back to drip brew because it is faster and easier to clean

I have a Delonghi all in one (coffee maker & espresso) that makes pretty good pulls but I can not speak of the drip coffee side.  My family & friends do not complain about the cups of joe when they come over.

It is weird, 4 shots of espress and I am fine.  1 cup of Joe and I am living in jitter city.  So I stick to shots.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »

I have a Delonghi all in one (coffee maker & espresso) that makes pretty good pulls but I can not speak of the drip coffee side.  My family & friends do not complain about the cups of joe when they come over.

It is weird, 4 shots of espress and I am fine.  1 cup of Joe and I am living in jitter city.  So I stick to shots.
I may have to investigate this. Perhaps it is still possible for me to up my coffee game.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »

I may have to investigate this. Perhaps it is still possible for me to up my coffee game.

The best way to describe it is drink a Starbucks shot, then drink a shot from the best artisanal hipster shop you can find.  Imagine a shot that tastes just to the artisanal side of smack dab in the middle of those 2.  That is what I pour at home and splurge once a weekend at the coffee shop.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »

I've never cooked any meats outside of sausages and hot dogs on it. My wife didn't trust it at first (just attached to the single-purpose Belgian waffle maker) but has grown to love it. We have this cheesy inside joke where I sing "don't fear the griddler" (instead of don't fear the reaper) when I pull it out of the cabinet. Making waffles with the kids on the weekend has become a deeply ingrained ritual so I'm kind of sentimental about it....

Huh, I figured the obvious cheesy joke for this appliance is "Griddle me this, Batman" and point to the thing you're about to cook on it.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »

Huh, I figured the obvious cheesy joke for this appliance is "Griddle me this, Batman" and point to the thing you're about to cook on it.

i have a griddler too! don't use it very much. its a does some things masters none type gadget. i mostly use it for waffles which is probably the thing it is worst at. the waffle plates are too thin (too little thermal density)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »
add another vote to the espresso maker.  can't imagine living life without one.  also want to upgrade soon, but the one i have still works good so i'd feel very guilty.  be nice if it would break.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
Very excited to get a super duper fancy espresso machine sometime in the future, but it just doesn’t feel right to get one now. Feels like I need to stay humble drinking Mr. Coffee until I move to a career where I don’t feel guilty relaxing for 5 minutes.