Author Topic: Cats up Horns down  (Read 10813 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Cats up Horns down
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
Goolsby was terrible and we played Jonathan Durham significant snaps all last year. Khalid Duke is every bit as good as Reggie Walker and Wiley and Pickle are as good as Mittie and Dishon were.  Klandermen isn’t getting fired so we will get to see if he can adjust in year 2 but year one was a dumpster fire.

the first half of the year was outstanding. OSU was a very nice performance. 10 out of the last 12 quarters were a dumpster fire, to be sure, but overall it wasn't a disaster.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »
we should have just cancelled all of the games after ku and gone out like heroes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2020, 07:22:07 PM »
It’s basically the same defense but Patton appears to have been our best linebacker by far last year.  Losing Hazelton really hurt.  No doubt our talent is crap but we aren’t exactly stacking our recruiting classes with instant impact studs. The staff not being able to properly manage Will Jones and Tyrone Lewis really sucks.

If your question was rhetorical, I wish you would have said so. I said we have 7 missing from the 2 deep, off the rip, without even accounting for injuries and COVID, but you ignored that and said it's basically the same defense. If you're sure that losing Hazelton hurt, can you explain to me the differences in schemes from this year to last as they relate to available personnel? I'm not nearly savvy enough about football to recognize that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Goolsby was terrible and we played Jonathan Durham significant snaps all last year.

Goolsby was second on the team in tackles and interceptions. He was a 3 year starter who started every game last year and 33 for his career. I don't know what constitutes significant snaps but Durham was 17th on the defense on snaps played. He only played 9 games, one start, and that was at the nickel, not safety.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
Goolsby was terrible and we played Jonathan Durham significant snaps all last year.

Goolsby was second on the team in tackles and interceptions. He was a  3 year starter who started every game last year and 33 for his career. I don't know what constitutes significant snaps but Durham was 17th on the defense on snaps played. He only played 9 games, one start, and that was at the nickel, not safety.

Yea Wayne Jones played opposite Goolsby, which he has done again this year.  It’s basically sub J Mac for Goolsby and the same linebackers but Hughes for Patton.  I still don’t understand how TF they lost Will Jones to the portal, and couldn’t develop Tyrone Lewis enough to even get rotational depth, that feels like shooting our own foot off.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2020, 08:04:18 PM »

Goolsby was second on the team in tackles and interceptions. He was a  3 year starter who started every game last year and 33 for his career. I don't know what constitutes significant snaps but Durham was 17th on the defense on snaps played. He only played 9 games, one start, and that was at the nickel, not safety.

Yea Wayne Jones played opposite Goolsby, which he has done again this year.  It’s basically sub J Mac for Goolsby and the same linebackers but Hughes for Patton.  I still don’t understand how TF they lost Will Jones to the portal, and couldn’t develop Tyrone Lewis enough to even get rotational depth, that feels like shooting our own foot off.

J Mac is playing out of position because we don't have safeties. The Will Jones thing is baffling, no one really talked about it but of all of the portal guys, his story is the one I'm most interested in hearing, maybe he got tired of seeing Elder playing snaps.

I think year two, even in aa non COVID year is too early to make judgements about player development, especially for freshmen. That dude could have been out multiple times with COVID and contact tracing for all we know.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »

J Mac is playing out of position because we don't have safeties. The Will Jones thing is baffling, no one really talked about it but of all of the portal guys, his story is the one I'm most interested in hearing, maybe he got tired of seeing Elder playing snaps.

I think year two, even in aa non COVID year is too early to make judgements about player development, especially for freshmen. That dude could have been out multiple times with COVID and contact tracing for all we know.
i watched wayne jones today and he was absolutely terrible all day. no wonder he lost his job. it helps explain how Elder could get playing time. the safety position might be the worst collection of talent of any position group since the 1980s.