Author Topic: Farmageddon Thread  (Read 20583 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Farmageddon Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 27, 2023, 11:02:48 AM »
We had multiple plays where we needed a defender to make a one-on-one play and we didn't do it.

These ono-on-one plays were in the secondary.  Defenses are set up to prevent the necessity of one-on-one plays in the secondary.  Yeah, the guy that got the last touchdown was not in a one-on-one situation, he did make a hell of a play.  I get your point that Iowa State made plays, but it's baffling that they had so many big plays of 50+ yards going for touchdowns (wasn't all their touchdowns on 50+ yard plays, or close to it?).  I've never seen that in ANY game, much less a K-State game where the Cats couldn't put a stop to big plays.  Something was goofy.  You're welcome to claim that Iowa State just played that exceptionally well, I just think there's more to it than that.
What was up with the play where it looked like our defender was playing two hand touch with Sama and then fell to the turf after incorrectly calculating that he could knock Sama down with just a firm shove? Some sort of weird equal and opposite reaction thing going on. Just a very, very weird game for the defense. Also, the offense would run crappy plays on first and second down and then we would miraculously convert 3rd/4th down and long. Seems like it happened a lot. One of the weirdest Cat football games I've ever watched. Up there with 2010 aTm in terms of weird, unexpected things happening.

Did you mean 2011 aTm (quadruple overtime)?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 27, 2023, 11:18:17 AM »
We had multiple plays where we needed a defender to make a one-on-one play and we didn't do it.

These ono-on-one plays were in the secondary.  Defenses are set up to prevent the necessity of one-on-one plays in the secondary.  Yeah, the guy that got the last touchdown was not in a one-on-one situation, he did make a hell of a play.  I get your point that Iowa State made plays, but it's baffling that they had so many big plays of 50+ yards going for touchdowns (wasn't all their touchdowns on 50+ yard plays, or close to it?).  I've never seen that in ANY game, much less a K-State game where the Cats couldn't put a stop to big plays.  Something was goofy.  You're welcome to claim that Iowa State just played that exceptionally well, I just think there's more to it than that.
What was up with the play where it looked like our defender was playing two hand touch with Sama and then fell to the turf after incorrectly calculating that he could knock Sama down with just a firm shove? Some sort of weird equal and opposite reaction thing going on. Just a very, very weird game for the defense. Also, the offense would run crappy plays on first and second down and then we would miraculously convert 3rd/4th down and long. Seems like it happened a lot. One of the weirdest Cat football games I've ever watched. Up there with 2010 aTm in terms of weird, unexpected things happening.

Did you mean 2011 aTm (quadruple overtime)?
Whoops, I was actually referencing the 2009 game where we got blown out by TTU, then we blew out aTm, then aTm smoked TTU. 2011 was crazy but not totally unexpected based on earlier results from the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Kansas_State_Wildcats_football_team

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 27, 2023, 11:19:07 AM »
You can’t just roll out the motorized brushes and plows on a FieldTurf field. It’s artificial grass, not short pile carpet posing as “turf”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so in hindsight we should have covered the field and then we could plow or brush or whatever? 

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 27, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
In my opinion, every outdoor football playing surface (regardless of turf vs grass) should have an in-ground heating system.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 27, 2023, 11:42:27 AM »
agreed and we have a great supply for hot water in Ward Hall

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 27, 2023, 11:43:54 AM »
I think it was the worst single game, play for play performance in the history of K-State from a PPP/YPP perspective.  ~1.2 PPP and ~14 YPP is unreal. 

Usually, you never seen those kinds of numbers for an entire game because if a team is hitting those numbers at any point, then there's usually garbage time and pulled starters involved that will bring the numbers back to earth.  But that continuing over the course of the entire game (because, in part, our offense kept up and we won the turnover battle) is astonishing.  That we only lost by one score while giving up 1.2 ppp is insane -- that may be the first time in FBS history that's happened.

I wonder when was the last time any team gave up 1.2 ppp and 14 ypp.
I’m comfortable calling it the most baffling statistical game in Cats history. It makes me glad the Big 12 title game was already determined. Otherwise it really would have stung.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 27, 2023, 12:43:48 PM »

That was Will Lee who I think has to be hurt because he was also the one that tried to one had pick up the ballard fumble rather than just falling on it.

Didn't think much about it at the time but those two plays were very strange like he was absolutely alergic to any kind of physical contact

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 27, 2023, 12:47:09 PM »

That was Will Lee who I think has to be hurt because he was also the one that tried to one had pick up the ballard fumble rather than just falling on it.

Didn't think much about it at the time but those two plays were very strange like he was absolutely alergic to any kind of physical contact
Normally a very physical player. Hope he is okay.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 27, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 27, 2023, 12:56:15 PM »

That play on Saturday was abhorrent and he knew it right away, he was distraught, and benched for the rest of the game, for what it's worth. He was never in position to fall on that Ballard fumble. The ball bounced under his feet, while he was moving then it was almost immediately batted away. Not getting that fumble was just really bad luck, it wasn't anyone's fault.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 27, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
I've listened and read a lot of stuff about the game and consensus is that it was probably one of the worst games ever played. I thought that at the time and even just turned my phone off after but I know that I was right in my thinking of the game.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 27, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
lol, not even close

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 27, 2023, 02:36:07 PM »
I've listened and read a lot of stuff about the game and consensus is that it was probably one of the worst games ever played. I thought that at the time and even just turned my phone off after but I know that I was right in my thinking of the game.

I think what probably happened was some well-intentioned but naive cats fan had a Monkey Paw and made the wish: “I wish that our defense would give up basically no plays between 4 and 60 yards”

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 27, 2023, 02:38:23 PM »

I think what probably happened was some well-intentioned but naive cats fan had a Monkey Paw and made the wish: “I wish that our defense would give up basically no plays between 4 and 60 yards”
I hope they learned their lesson before making their other wishes

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 27, 2023, 02:54:52 PM »

More like “I hope ISU takes less than 5 snaps on KSU’s side of the field.”

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 27, 2023, 03:02:00 PM »

They didn't even run any plays inside the red zone and scored 6 TDs, that's just crazy.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 27, 2023, 04:08:14 PM »

They didn't even run any plays inside the red zone and scored 6 TDs, that's just crazy.

I think they only had 1 play on our side of the 50.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 27, 2023, 04:55:04 PM »

I think they only had 1 play on our side of the 50.
I wasn’t paying that close of attention, but the only plays I can recall on our side of the field were because they turned us over there—and I don’t think that drive even resulted in points!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 27, 2023, 05:32:10 PM »
lol, not even close
on the defensive side, i think it was.  i don't think k-state's ever had a game where they gave up so many touchdowns as often as we did.  Every 6th play for ISU was a touchdown.  And it's not even like we gave them short fields!

i think for whatever reason, the snow really messed with us and we gave up a few shots early and then we started getting in our heads and things snowballed. 

but yeah, i don't think we've ever had a performance over the course of the entire game where the defense played as bad as it did on saturday.  again, mostly because in the really really dark ages they'd pull the starters when things got out of hand, but still.   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 27, 2023, 10:11:29 PM »
lol, not even close
on the defensive side, i think it was.  i don't think k-state's ever had a game where they gave up so many touchdowns as often as we did.  Every 6th play for ISU was a touchdown.  And it's not even like we gave them short fields!

i think for whatever reason, the snow really messed with us and we gave up a few shots early and then we started getting in our heads and things snowballed. 

but yeah, i don't think we've ever had a performance over the course of the entire game where the defense played as bad as it did on saturday.  again, mostly because in the really really dark ages they'd pull the starters when things got out of hand, but still.   

Yeah defensively, it was clearly horrendous, although their offensive play success rate was actually poor for the game, but he didn't say we played a horrible defensive game, he said " and consensus is that it probably was one of the worst games ever played" which is clearly silly.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 28, 2023, 12:20:04 AM »
lol, not even close

Yeah defensively, it was clearly horrendous, although their offensive play success rate was actually poor for the game, but he didn't say we played a horrible defensive game, he said " and consensus is that it probably was one of the worst games ever played" which is clearly silly.
Yep.  Offense did just fine.  Not perfect, but given the conditions (and how much we threw), pretty darn good.

Success rate is kind of a dumb stat in a vacuum, imo.  This game is kind of the perfect example of why.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]