Author Topic: Portal Kombat  (Read 162463 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Portal Kombat
« Reply #1125 on: November 28, 2022, 03:35:28 PM »
No, we absolutely need a QB, assuming Rubley is leaving. The hope is that Rubley stays or we get a transfer and Avery wins the backup role, but I absolutely don't want Avery to be the backup by default.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 28, 2022, 03:36:14 PM »
No, we absolutely need a QB, assuming Rubley is leaving. The hope is that Rubley stays or we get a transfer and Avery wins the backup role, but I absolutely don't want Avery to be the backup by default.

You forget about Lara or just think he’s ass?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 28, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »

You forget about Lara or just think he’s ass?

I didn't forget about him, just as I didn't forget about Lewis. I don't know anything about him, haven't heard anything about how he's doing. I know he's never won a scout team award.

I just assume he's one of those QBs who are on the roster but are only there to be a scout team QB and never see the field, guys like Justin Evans, Ryan Manes, Hunter Hall, Nick Ast and Parker Kavanagh.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 28, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »
I think Lewis is graduating.  Can’t see us getting a transfer QB to come be a primary backup, that just doesn’t make sense. I do really think the staff likes Lara, enough that he’s not a token depth chart guy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 28, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »
I think Lewis is graduating.  Can’t see us getting a transfer QB to come be a primary backup, that just doesn’t make sense. I do really think the staff likes Lara, enough that he’s not a token depth chart guy.

No, we aren't going to get a P5 starter, nor should we even try for one, but I think we can grab a G5 guy or a P5 who is currently down the roster a bit. There are going to be far more QBs in the portal than starting QB positions, a lot of those dudes won't be starting. Good to hear that Lara could be an option, if Martinez couldn't get a full grasp of the offense, I'd hate to see what some career backup from the MAC would struggle with.

Offline Dr. Fausto Rindón

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 28, 2022, 07:44:12 PM »
I didn't forget about him, just as I didn't forget about Lewis. I don't know anything about him, haven't heard anything about how he's doing. I know he's never won a scout team award.

I just assume he's one of those QBs who are on the roster but are only there to be a scout team QB and never see the field, guys like Justin Evans, Ryan Manes, Hunter Hall, Nick Ast and Parker Kavanagh.

I remembered this from an October 6th article in the Wichita Eagle:

“It is unusual for Kansas State football coach Chris Klieman to praise a member of the Wildcats’ scout team without being directly asked about the player during one of his weekly news conferences. So Adryan Lara must be doing something impressive behind the scenes.

Klieman gave Lara a special shout out before K-State defeated Texas Tech last week. The freshman quarterback is apparently “really challenging” the Wildcats’ defensive starters in practice by mimicking top Big 12 passers like Dillon Gabriel and Donovan Smith and throwing the ball “into really tight windows.”

“A guy that is really helping us right now is Adryan Lara on the scout team,” Kleiman said. “That kid spins it around really, really well.”

A reporter asked Klieman if Lara was still turning heads in practice this week. His answer was a resounding yes.

“He’s got unbelievable arm talent, throwing the ball from the hash to the opposite sideline,” Klieman said. “Granted, it’s scout team stuff and we are running cards, but he’s delivering the ball and he is putting it in tight windows. I am excited about him as a young player.”

K-State is set at quarterback for the foreseeable future with Nebraska transfer Adrian Martinez at the controls in his final year of college eligibility. Former starter Will Howard and four-star recruit Jake Rubley figure to compete for the QB1 spot next season, with Maize quarterback Avery Johnson also entering the picture as a freshman.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 28, 2022, 07:49:08 PM »
Thank you good Doctor.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 28, 2022, 08:17:49 PM »
Nice!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 29, 2022, 07:42:18 PM »
come home Troy Omeire, just come on home

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 29, 2022, 07:47:02 PM »
i am absolutely setting up unrealistic expectations of how much more attractive we'll be to transfers now that we're a TOP TEN team

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 29, 2022, 08:22:41 PM »
No bias, I think we should be a great transfer option for at least the WR position.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 29, 2022, 10:07:22 PM »
If you are WR looking for immediate playing time at a P5 for one year and see the returning roster at WR for KSU, the QB who will be throwing to you, and the hot piece of ass OC dialing up the plays, you basically beg for a scholly.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 29, 2022, 10:27:41 PM »
See lots of tweets of players declaring for the portal.  What position\players would be on our wish list?

Massive needs are WR, LB, OL, DL, CB, probably RB. Basically everything.

Really wish we had at least 1 returning WR that had any sort of production this year.

Green leaves a big hole at LB, luckily Austin Moore has been good this year and Purnell has filled in nicely.

Lose Duffie, Leveston, (maybe) beebe, and Gillum at OL

Lose Huggins and Hentz at DT, FAU and Pickle at DE

Definitely losing Brentz, maybe Boye-Doe at CB. Those dudes played like 95% of snaps and covered up a lot of flaws in the defense.

We'll have Giddens, Frias, and Freshman Joe Jackson at RB. Pretty thin.

They have a lot of work to do. hopefully some of the RS freshman will be ready to step in and play at a high level.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: November 29, 2022, 11:37:47 PM »
See lots of tweets of players declaring for the portal.  What position\players would be on our wish list?

Really wish we had at least 1 returning WR that had any sort of production this year.

Green leaves a big hole at LB, luckily Austin Moore has been good this year and Purnell has filled in nicely.

Definitely losing Brentz, maybe Boye-Doe at CB. Those dudes played like 95% of snaps and covered up a lot of flaws in the defense.

They have a lot of work to do. hopefully some of the RS freshman will be ready to step in and play at a high level.
Very depressing, but fair.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 30, 2022, 12:40:01 AM »

There are multiple guys, key guys who could come back for their senior or super senior year but we have no idea who. This represents an absolute worst case scenario, that likely won't happen. We've had super seniors return each of the last two years. If these guys really feel like they are going to compete for a championship next year, some of them very well may opt to delay going pro in something other than sports.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 30, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
If you are WR looking for immediate playing time at a P5 for one year and see the returning roster at WR for KSU, the QB who will be throwing to you, and the hot piece of ass OC dialing up the plays, you basically beg for a scholly.

if you're the type of WR who HATES tight spirals fired out of a cannon then ksucatsu is not an attractive option, imo

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 30, 2022, 11:30:59 AM »

There are multiple guys, key guys who could come back for their senior or super senior year but we have no idea who. This represents an absolute worst case scenario, that likely won't happen. We've had super seniors return each of the last two years. If these guys really feel like they are going to compete for a championship next year, some of them very well may opt to delay going pro in something other than sports.

Yeah, and that's how I feel, I was perusing the roster like a month ago and like KCFDcat I was fairly worried about being able to maintain success, but also to MiR your point probably a few guys will come back and fill enough holes to make the transition for lower class/transfers to come in and fill the rest of the gaps.

I think overall us being this competitive and with a known good commodity at QB at this point in Will makes us a team many will look at as a chance to go back to the Champ Game/an or repeat depending on this weekend. Regardless we'll be a top 3 Big 12 team I think come next year
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 30, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »
I wonder if Malik could benefit enough from a full season of a Klein led offense with Howard throwing darts to him all season long with regard to his NFL draft potential?

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 30, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »

TBH I can’t remember who gets another year or not, and didn’t spend the time to look them all up. I’m sure some of these guys will come back for a 5th/6th year. Regardless they’re gonna need to get some key guys from the portal. I expect that to be the norm for most schools. No doubt we’re gonna lose a few guys to the portal as well.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 30, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »

TBH I can’t remember who gets another year or not, and didn’t spend the time to look them all up. I’m sure some of these guys will come back for a 5th/6th year. Regardless they’re gonna need to get some key guys from the portal. I expect that to be the norm for most schools. No doubt we’re gonna lose a few guys to the portal as well.

For sure, and depends on who again it all is, come like March we'll have a much better idea overall on how excited we should be
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla