Author Topic: Portal Kombat  (Read 162726 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Portal Kombat
« Reply #900 on: January 13, 2022, 06:33:33 PM »
I'll be alone on this island but I have no idea how Ky Thomas would work here and I'm not excited about it. This past season all K-State running and fullbacks not named Deuce Vaughn had 237 carries in 13 games. Ky had 166 in only 9 games, that's actually sightly more carries per game, 18.4 to 18.2, than Deuce got. Even if we decide to play faster next year both of them will get significantly fewer carries, remember our QB carries will likely increase next year too. This just doesn't make sense, unless Geoff Ketchum was on to something.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 13, 2022, 06:41:53 PM »
If Ky comes to KSU it would be about being the dude in 2023. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 13, 2022, 06:48:32 PM »
I'll be alone on this island but I have no idea how Ky Thomas would work here and I'm not excited about it. This past season all K-State running and fullbacks not named Deuce Vaughn had 237 carries in 13 games. Ky had 166 in only 9 games, that's actually sightly more carries per game, 18.4 to 18.2, than Deuce got. Even if we decide to play faster next year both of them will get significantly fewer carries, remember our QB carries will likely increase next year too. This just doesn't make sense, unless Geoff Ketchum was on to something.

It doesn't make sense for Ky.  Adding a really good player even though you already have a really good player at that position makes perfect sense for K-State.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 13, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »
LFBIQ here but I’ve heard a lot of really good teams talk about “depth.” Could that factor into a decision to recruit two good players to a single position? Probably not a concern in our case unless an undersized and heavily relied on RB is at any kind of risk of being injured.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 13, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
If I am deuce Vaughn and I want to play at the next level, I would be learning how to play the slot. Obviously he would still get Carrie’s, but he already has fantastic hands and good route running so I think getting deuce touches in the passing game would be pretty easy.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 13, 2022, 07:39:40 PM »
Great point KK,  having both Deuce and Ky on the field at the same time with Martinez is pure sex

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 13, 2022, 08:11:34 PM »
Yea, Ky is likely a significant upgrade on any of our backups from last year plus potential to use either Deuce or Ky at other positions plus new OC equals no idea how many touches Ky could get if he came here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2022, 10:06:27 PM »
If Ky comes to KSU it would be about being the dude in 2023.

No shot he's punting on a year of eligibility

It doesn't make sense for Ky.  Adding a really good player even though you already have a really good player at that position makes perfect sense for K-State.

No doubt, however this staff in particular has had major issues with the locker room going sideways with keeping players happy. I'd think they would be less likely to treat the roster like a fantasy football roster, particularly on the offensive side where they've lost all of their senior leaders.

Yea, Ky is likely a significant upgrade on any of our backups from last year plus potential to use either Deuce or Ky at other positions plus new OC equals no idea how many touches Ky could get if he came here.

Nether he nor Deuce would be anywhere close to 18 carries per game unless we're going to the triple option. ARE WE GOING TO THE TRIPLE OPTION? :excited:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 13, 2022, 10:18:08 PM »
Wait. Have we even offered this dude? His twitter only shows Colorado, KU, and Purdue.

He was at KU last night. Colorado just lost their all conference running back to the portal, today.

He does follow and RT Dylan Edwards, so that's fun.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 13, 2022, 10:26:33 PM »
Fleck filed a formal tampering complaint with the NCAA, I don’t think he’s going to publicly state an offer from kstate lol.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 13, 2022, 10:31:33 PM »
Did Fleck get confused and accidentally file a complaint against K-State when he meant to file against KU?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 13, 2022, 10:48:49 PM »
Are we certain of the tampering claim or is that a internet rumor? That supposedly happened over a week ago and I haven't seen a single report about it, not from the K-State beat, not from the Minnesota beat, and not from a national CFB writer.

Even if he did Thomas is going to pick a destination before any tampering claim is settled. Presumably, if he's going to KU or K-State if he doesn't enroll by the end of the day Friday he's going to be a late enrolee which means he doesn't have a whole lot of time left if he wants to participate in spring football somewhere.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 14, 2022, 12:32:06 AM »
I don’t think it’s been since that WBB player (Letti something?) since this university has had a good tamper tantrum

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 14, 2022, 12:53:56 AM »
Leti Romeo :love:
John Currie :curse:
That guy was a rough ridin' menace to student athletes. I don't know if what he did with Leti Romero was worse than what he did to Jamar.

For those who don't know or don't remember. Leti was a stud freshman point guard on the women's basketball team. When Deb Patterson was fired Leti wanted to transfer but Currie made up a false tampering claim, never made a formal claim by the way, just fed media bullshit, because he thought Leti was going to go to Northern rough ridin' Colorado. She was from Spain and because he wouldn't release her, she couldn't go home when the school year was over, she had to stay in Kansas. She ended up at Florida State, because why would one of the best young guards in college basketball transfer to Northern Colorado?

She ended up a three time all American and she won an Olympic silver medal playing for Spain in 2016. I'm pretty sure she is still playing pro basketball in Spain.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 14, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »
This past season all K-State running and fullbacks not named Deuce Vaughn had 237 carries in 13 games.
I think this is wrong.  I know Ervin only had 80 something.  That would leave ~150 between jacardia, schippers, and the fullbacks.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 14, 2022, 08:11:01 AM »

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #916 on: January 14, 2022, 08:36:27 AM »
This past season all K-State running and fullbacks not named Deuce Vaughn had 237 carries in 13 games.
I think this is wrong.  I know Ervin only had 80 something.  That would leave ~150 between jacardia, schippers, and the fullbacks.
Not only that (and I know CK is the new O-coordinator so this could change) but Klieman's NDSU teams had 3-4 players with over 100+ carries in a season.  I think there are opportunities for carries here and Ky would be a big upgrade.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »
And not only not only that, but Thomas is actually pretty good, and if next year is Deuce's last, Thomas would probably be the bellcow in '24. 

In any event, we probably need a transfer RB this off-season, and Thomas is about as good an option as I think we could reasonably expect.  Would be a great solution imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
I think you mean 2023 but yea I agree Ky has  a clear path to becoming the primary back after playing with deuce for a year

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 14, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
The Klie/Klei/Ky 3-headed monster (let’s avoid any acronym nicknames for them though)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 14, 2022, 12:18:02 PM »
The Klie/Klei/Ky 3-headed monster (let’s avoid any acronym nicknames for them though)

I think to be safe we should just forget this idea ever happened

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 14, 2022, 01:11:10 PM »
Other than Alabama this is where Runningback U is.. It's where the greats want to come. If you can't handle it portal your ass on outta here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 14, 2022, 02:34:30 PM »

That was supposed to be 137 but even with that, I accidentally included Will

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 14, 2022, 02:45:26 PM »
I think you mean 2023 but yea I agree Ky has  a clear path to becoming the primary back after playing with deuce for a year

Look, I hope we get him, but it defies logic that he would transfer from a situation when he was the primary ball carrier, behind one of the best offensive lines in America, to back up an All American running behind a line that needs to be rebuilt. Possibly becoming the primary ball carrier in 2023 when you can definitely be the primary ball carrier in 2022 doesn't seem like a great sell to me, particularly when this staff already missed on this player, when there wasn't an incumbent starting running back.

I hope I'm wrong but the set up isn't ideal for him to come here

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 14, 2022, 02:46:45 PM »

Look, I hope we get him, but it defies logic that he would transfer from a situation when he was the primary ball carrier, behind one of the best offensive lines in America, to back up an All American running behind a line that needs to be rebuilt. Possibly becoming the primary ball carrier in 2023 when you can definitely be the primary ball carrier in 2022 doesn't seem like a great sell to me, particularly when this staff already missed on this player, when there wasn't an incumbent starting running back.

I hope I'm wrong but the set up isn't ideal for him to come here
Kids can also miss home. Might be a reason