Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 313682 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2475 on: August 13, 2021, 05:42:06 PM »
mostly resurgent coronavirus, imo.  maybe a bit of inflation too.  probably too early for afghanistan to be influencing much.

https://twitter.com/micahcohen/status/1426238324008701953
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 13, 2021, 06:14:50 PM »
mostly resurgent coronavirus, imo.  maybe a bit of inflation too.  probably too early for afghanistan to be influencing much.

https://twitter.com/micahcohen/status/1426238324008701953

Probably a lot of the "at least he's not rough ridin' Trump" factor wearing off too.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 13, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »
If "doing what we are doing" prevents a theocratic Taliban government from having a reign of terror over a nation, then we should keep doing that. It's easy to continue doing what we are doing. No need to change anything.
Easy for who?  I am a little conflicted because of course there are going to be a lot of people victimized, but I also think we can’t just stay in Afghanistan forever and shrinking the empire is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status quo is always easy. It's already budgeted for and requires nothing politically. I would have been fine with a withdrawal if it wouldn't have allowed the Taliban to simply roll in, but in hindsight, it was a terrible idea. I also think Biden probably had generals advising him that this would likely happen.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 14, 2021, 01:52:36 PM »
If "doing what we are doing" prevents a theocratic Taliban government from having a reign of terror over a nation, then we should keep doing that. It's easy to continue doing what we are doing. No need to change anything.
Easy for who?  I am a little conflicted because of course there are going to be a lot of people victimized, but I also think we can’t just stay in Afghanistan forever and shrinking the empire is good.

Status quo is always easy. It's already budgeted for and requires nothing politically. I would have been fine with a withdrawal if it wouldn't have allowed the Taliban to simply roll in, but in hindsight, it was a terrible idea. I also think Biden probably had generals advising him that this would likely happen.
The status quo was continuing an indefinite occupation and the longest war in American history.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 14, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »
Yes, and clearly that would have been the correct course of action.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 14, 2021, 05:57:40 PM »
My overly simplified view is that the country is returning to the state it was in before we effectively occupied it. It’s clearly a failure of what we set out to achieve, but there is no basis to believe that staying longer would have made it less of a failure.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 14, 2021, 08:00:24 PM »
After 20 plus years it is hard to say we made much progress and Afghanistan irregulars have a pretty incredible track record, against empires so this day was coming at some point one way or another.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 14, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »
After 20 plus years it is hard to say we made much progress and Afghanistan irregulars have a pretty incredible track record, against empires so this day was coming at some point one way or another.

We could just as easily have maintained a presence indefinitely, just as we have in Germany, Japan, and just about everywhere else we have ever sent soldiers. Maybe we could have even increased resources and actually made progress. Just about anything would be better than the current crap show.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 14, 2021, 11:27:26 PM »

No, it wouldn't have. The correct course of action would have been to get rid of the Taliban, as wars generally have a mission to be accomplished.

Like you I did advocate for permanent bases, but I don't think it would work in Afghanistan like it has in other places, I don't think there would have been a long term appetite from afghanistanis for that.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 15, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »
How does this issue poll with the public? I'm under the impression that withdrawl is pretty popular.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 15, 2021, 09:19:41 AM »
How does this issue poll with the public? I'm under the impression that withdrawl is pretty popular.

I think it would have polled very well a few weeks ago.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2487 on: August 15, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »
A poll a few weeks ago would have included Biden’s assurances that the Afghan Army was going to stop the Taliban.

The offloading of blame on to Trump is LOL’able.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 15, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
A good tell on the admin policy will be if Biden goes to Afghanistan or if Kamala goes. If Biden goes we are surging troops, if Kamala goes we are sticking with the withdrawal.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 15, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
A poll a few weeks ago would have included Biden’s assurances that the Afghan Army was going to stop the Taliban.

The assurances wouldn't be important. You would be polling the general public as to whether or not US soldiers should be in harm's way, and that is all of the information that they would have. Biden has access to a whole lot more information than the public does, and has a responsibility to do what is unpopular when necessary.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: August 15, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »

The assurances wouldn't be important. You would be polling the general public as to whether or not US soldiers should be in harm's way, and that is all of the information that they would have. Biden has access to a whole lot more information than the public does, and has a responsibility to do what is unpopular when necessary.

But yesterday he tried to offload it all on Trump.   

Blinkie sucks ass and was completely destroyed by the Russians and Chinese who ensured the US would have all kinds of problems getting access to bases around Afghanistan.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 15, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »
Reporter:  Is a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan now inevitable?

The President:  No, it is not.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 15, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
I don't know what the ethical thing for us to do here is, but  :frown:.

https://twitter.com/LNajafizada/status/1426852794175270915

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 15, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »

Blinkie sucks ass and was completely destroyed by the Russians and Chinese who ensured the US would have all kinds of problems getting access to bases around Afghanistan.

I agree that "just as bad as Trump" is a disgustingly low standard that people are attempting to hold Biden to.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 15, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »
I'm under the impression that withdrawl is pretty popular.

fiasco is seldom popular.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 15, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »

I agree that "just as bad as Trump" is a disgustingly low standard that people are attempting to hold Biden to.
#blueanon and #blueanonGe trying to offload this on to Trump is 1000% on brand.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile