Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 311065 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2425 on: August 10, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
I honestly didn't read all of the opinions, I'm assuming it went: 4 said yes it was FULLY CONSTITUIONAL, 4 said nope, then Kavanaugh was like well who cares it is going away.

And Kavanaugh said he thought it requires legislative action to go beyond July 31.  To me, that's a pretty clear indication that legislative action is required for the moratorium to be extended past July 31.
That isn’t how Supreme Court rulings work. Kavanaugh not anyone else is bound by Kavanaugh saying something in a concurring that he would probably rule differently in the future.

The whole point of this is to buy time for a temporary extension, which it did and then if the Supreme Court says no later, fine deal with what to do then.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2426 on: August 10, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »
Perfect outcome for Biden here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eff them laws and eff those small real estate investors.   As we have 1.5 million more jobs open than people on unemployment.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 10, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »
I honestly didn't read all of the opinions, I'm assuming it went: 4 said yes it was FULLY CONSTITUIONAL, 4 said nope, then Kavanaugh was like well who cares it is going away.

And Kavanaugh said he thought it requires legislative action to go beyond July 31.  To me, that's a pretty clear indication that legislative action is required for the moratorium to be extended past July 31.
That isn’t how Supreme Court rulings work. Kavanaugh not anyone else is bound by Kavanaugh saying something in a concurring that he would probably rule differently in the future.

The whole point of this is to buy time for a temporary extension, which it did and then if the Supreme Court says no later, fine deal with what to do then.

Then there should never be a complaint from anyone about a president doing something unconstitutional.  Just let them do it and then see what the Supreme Court says.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 10, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »

Then there should never be a complaint from anyone about a president doing something unconstitutional.  Just let them do it and then see what the Supreme Court says.
Who interprets what is Constitutional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: August 11, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »

Who interprets what is Constitutional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone interprets what they think is constitutional.  In terms of what laws and executive orders are allowed to stand, we have a 200+ year tradition of allowing the Supreme Court to make that determination.

In this case, it's pretty clear how the Supreme Court views the eviction moratorium.  Biden even admitted it himself.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 11, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »

Interviewer David Frost has a difficult time with his subject, former President Richard Nixon, in the day’s early questioning (see April 6, 1977). Frost attempts to recoup with a line of questioning suggested by his adviser James Reston, Jr., one used in the trial of former Nixon aide John Ehrlichman (see January 1, 1975). Were there no limits to what a president can do, even if the president wants to do something plainly illegal? he asks. Could he do anything despite the law? Burglary? Forgery? Even murder? “If the president does it, that means it’s not illegal,” Nixon retorts. “Never had his imperialism been so baldly stated,” Reston will later reflect. Frost asks if the dividing line between, for example, a police burglary and the murder of an antiwar protester is only the president’s judgment? Nixon agrees, and adds: “There’s nothing specific that the Constitution contemplates in that respect. I haven’t read every word, every jot and every tittle, but I do know this: That it has been, however, argued that as far as a president is concerned, that in war time, a president does have certain extraordinary powers which would make acts that would otherwise be unlawful, lawful if undertaken for the purpose of preserving the nation and the Constitution, which is essential for the rights we’re all talking about.”

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a040677nixonnotillegal

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 11, 2021, 11:39:50 AM »
The imperial presidency is perfectly acceptable . . . as long as it's our guy/woman (ProgFascist Nation)

See also fist pumping at candidate Biden's proclamation about executive orders being a dictatorship . . . and the subsequent fist pumping at the unprecedented pace of executive orders once iPOTUS Biden was sworn in.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
The imperial presidency
Great beer name

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: August 11, 2021, 02:19:04 PM »
I know a place that’s got lots of oil.  But hey, eff them American oil workers

https://twitter.com/javierblas/status/1425420240616411137?s=21

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 11, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »
for the record, i think biden's order was pretty blatantly in violation of his oath to uphold the constitution, is really no different from when trump ignored laws and dared the supreme court to stop him and sucks complete ass.

but i also don't think the eviction moratorium is good policy, so discount however you want.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 11, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »
Kavanaugh writing a concurring opinion, to which no one else joined, does not decided the interpretation of the Constitution folks. Sorry that isn’t how it works.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 11, 2021, 03:51:14 PM »
The constitution take volume knob is negatively correlated to the knowing how the constitution works knob. And a lot of folks crank that first knob all the way.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 11, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »
The constitution take volume knob is negatively correlated to the knowing how the constitution works knob. And a lot of folks crank that first knob all the way.

You will note I have not opined.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 11, 2021, 05:07:51 PM »

You will note I have not opined.

lording your knowledge over all of us with shutting the eff up

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 11, 2021, 10:42:18 PM »
Kavanaugh writing a concurring opinion, to which no one else joined, does not decided the interpretation of the Constitution folks. Sorry that isn’t how it works.

My understanding is that four justices said they would remove the stay and end the eviction moratorium because it's unconstitutional.  Kavanaugh said he thinks it requires legislative action to go beyond July 31, otherwise it's unconstitutional.  Four justices said they would not remove the stay.

The determination that Biden's eviction moratorium is unconstitutional does not rely only on Kavanaugh's opinion.

If the Supreme Court justices were voting on what temperature to set the thermostat and four said set it at 70, Kavanaugh said set it at 71 and four others said set it at 72, would you say that only one justice thought 71 is preferable to 70?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 11, 2021, 10:44:41 PM »
Spracne, we’re gonna need you to not shut the eff up for a minute here alright?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:17 PM »

My understanding is that four justices said they would remove the stay and end the eviction moratorium because it's unconstitutional.  Kavanaugh said he thinks it requires legislative action to go beyond July 31, otherwise it's unconstitutional.  Four justices said they would not remove the stay.

The determination that Biden's eviction moratorium is unconstitutional does not rely only on Kavanaugh's opinion.

If the Supreme Court justices were voting on what temperature to set the thermostat and four said set it at 70, Kavanaugh said set it at 71 and four others said set it at 72, would you say that only one justice thought 71 is preferable to 70?

Yeah, so a concurring opinion means you concur in the outcome but don't necessarily endorse all the reasoning employed to arrive at that outcome, right? So that's why you write separately. If you have 4 joining the plurality opinion, plus 1 concurring opinion, that means that you have a majority voting for the disposition (outcome). However, only the reasoning that overlaps between the plurality (4) and Kavanaugh (+1 = majority!) has precedential (as opposed to influential) effect. So, you're pretty much right. If Kavanaugh concurred in the outcome but wrote separately, it is in fact true that the opinion of the Court is clear as it relates to the ultimate outcome, but probably not all of the reasoning involved. Other than the ultimate conclusion, you would have to compare Kavanaugh's opinion to the plurality opinion, and wherever they agree, that would be stare decisis, albeit kind of weak stare decisis.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 11, 2021, 11:06:18 PM »
There are often multiple issues, though, and you need to read the syllabus and pay attention to which justices are joining which portions of the opinion, just to clarify. If someone can give me the case name, I will take a look and give you my view of what is settled. For steve dave, I am willing to spend 5-10 minutes on this task.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: August 12, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
You can debate what the SCOTUS is going to do all day long.

Based on the conversations I had with friends in the medical staffing business in Kansas City last night, coupled with the 1.5 million more open jobs than people on unemployment. 

It’s not hard to deduce that at this point and relative to the medical industry it is now a matter of life and death.   The moratorium along with similar programs is only fueling the crisis.   Oh, and Covid is only a small % of the challenge the fuels the crisis.  This is particularly apparent at the healthcare facilities serving the most critically injured/ill and/or those that rely on emergency services for access to medical care. 

My friends are literally turning away business because they cannot find the staff . . . and the hospitals are calling them because they can’t find the staff.

Another friends daughter is at KU’s trauma center.  Overworked but with the respite of knowing she’s going to make tens of thousands of dollars more than she normally would based on the incentives, bonuses and differential payouts they have to pay in order to get people to work.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:30:54 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 12, 2021, 08:32:05 AM »
So hospitals can't find staff because people aren't being evicted? Is that what you're crypticly saying?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 12, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »
There are often multiple issues, though, and you need to read the syllabus and pay attention to which justices are joining which portions of the opinion, just to clarify. If someone can give me the case name, I will take a look and give you my view of what is settled. For steve dave, I am willing to spend 5-10 minutes on this task.

sd is worth at least a .3

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:55 AM »
So hospitals can't find staff because people aren't being evicted? Is that what you're crypticly saying?
The incentive not to work. 

You’re going to be the usual total dipshit about this aren’t you.

So on brand.  Sad

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 12, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
You're right, it's probably the eviction thing and not that it's been a brutal 18 months that continues on because your side (your words) refuse to be vaccinated.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite