Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 311009 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #4750 on: May 18, 2022, 06:57:02 PM »
one of the mmt criticisms i see all the time is that it's just standard keynesian/post-keynesian econ but stephanie kelton whispers in your ear that you can spend as much as you want at the end.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: May 18, 2022, 07:05:08 PM »
one of the mmt criticisms i see all the time is that it's just standard keynesian/post-keynesian econ but stephanie kelton whispers in your ear that you can spend as much as you want at the end.
The idea that MMT is left wing is one of the great mysteries. Started by a hedge fund manager.  Bad on Bernie for having Kelton around.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: May 18, 2022, 07:06:49 PM »
it's not really that mysterious, though, right?  it's because kelton is a lefty and the pols that first glommed on to her were lefties.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: May 18, 2022, 07:25:05 PM »
it's not really that mysterious, though, right?  it's because kelton is a lefty and the pols that first glommed on to her were lefties.
I understand that part, I think a lot of progress has been made on Matt Bruenig and Nordic model welfare state being taken more seriously than the MMT stuff which is a lot more dubious on welfare state.

I think the “mint the coin” and “deficit spending is fine” stuff obscured the bad jobs guarantee stuff, I guess I am more disappointed than anything so many were taken in by it.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: May 18, 2022, 07:35:59 PM »
I'm just getting caught up on this discussion.  However, the student loan thing is top of mind.  I have paid all of my loans off...although it took until I was 40 to do it.  My oldest son is currently attending our beloved university and has enrolled in one summer online class.  For three credit hours and a lab, it is $1,700.  The price per credit hour has gotten to a point where it is absurd.
@mikec2w

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: May 19, 2022, 08:19:49 AM »
I'm just getting caught up on this discussion.  However, the student loan thing is top of mind.  I have paid all of my loans off...although it took until I was 40 to do it.  My oldest son is currently attending our beloved university and has enrolled in one summer online class.  For three credit hours and a lab, it is $1,700.  The price per credit hour has gotten to a point where it is absurd.

Looking at this now for my kid next year.  A credit hour now is what a grad credit hour was when I was in school, IIRC.  It's $326/hr at KSU and $335/hr at KU, if I remember my interneting from last week.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: May 19, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »

Looking at this now for my kid next year.  A credit hour now is what a grad credit hour was when I was in school, IIRC.  It's $326/hr at KSU and $335/hr at KU, if I remember my interneting from last week.

Plus you have to add on all the other fees that are not included in tuition. This is probably another $75-$125 per credit hour. The tuition rate for Global Campus (online) is higher, I believe, but it has fewer fees that are tacked on.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 19, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

Plus you have to add on all the other fees that are not included in tuition. This is probably another $75-$125 per credit hour. The tuition rate for Global Campus (online) is higher, I believe, but it has fewer fees that are tacked on.

I just finished this semester at Wu-Shock for part-time grad school - intentionally picked it because it was cheaper than KSU, KU, UMKC, etc. - and it's still $1,250 per 3-hour class.

I finished at K-State in 2002 an I would walk out of the student union with about a $1,500 refund check each semester after getting the max FAFSA each year ($5,500 at the time).

My oldest kid is 8 and we have $30k in the Kansas 529 dealio and I already know that's not going to come anywhere close to covering tuition, room & board, etc. at its current rate of growth.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: May 19, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »
Biden ran a campaign trying to tell his voters he’d help out with their student loan debt and they followed along like the sheep they are. Now rates will be rising due to his inflation crisis. Nice work, everyone!

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: May 19, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
I'm not a fan of Biden, but the tuition rates were absurd before he took office. 
@mikec2w

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: May 19, 2022, 11:50:43 AM »
I'm not a fan of Biden, but the tuition rates were absurd before he took office.

True - and there is plenty of blame to go around. From the state legislature significantly cutting back funding over the years to the universities creating all sorts of non-necessary overhead/administrator roles to the universities having copious amounts of redundancy between degree offerings - there's a reason why tuition has increased nearly 400% in the last 20 years at most of the state's public schools.

And yet... true story - my wife teaches at KU and it's to the point where nobody in her department has access to the copier except for admins. As in, literally, professors cannot walk in and make their own copies. In essence, any copies to be made effectively need approval. And they ask all the grad students who teach classes to supply their own printer paper for materials to be used in the classes they teach. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: May 19, 2022, 12:49:09 PM »
Biden ran a campaign trying to tell his voters he’d help out with their student loan debt and they followed along like the sheep they are. Now rates will be rising due to his inflation crisis. Nice work, everyone!

what rates?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: May 19, 2022, 01:00:33 PM »

what rates?
Keep up

Lol

https://twitter.com/fatherlyhq/status/1526304436435529728?s=21&t=yntLWlNcMXcBZFejJKRyDw

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: May 19, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »
Less MAGA bumps, 'stone and more current events. Wake up, we're getting gutted out there by this guy.  :frown:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: May 19, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »
Less MAGA bumps, 'stone and more current events. Wake up, we're getting gutted out there by this guy.  :frown:

I don't pay attention to student loan rates as my offspring have their college provided for.  I imagine that you have a few more cycles until little wack gets to college.  How do student loan rates impact you rn?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: May 19, 2022, 01:21:22 PM »
I'm just lol'ing that our guy ran a presidency acting like he was going to fix student loan debt and sheeple followed along and it's going the opposite direction now. Lil wacky is going to be the starting Quarterback For Kansas State University come 2038, so I'm not worried about him at all. He'll make his bread in college.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: May 19, 2022, 01:49:25 PM »
I'm just lol'ing that our guy ran a presidency acting like he was going to fix student loan debt and sheeple followed along and it's going the opposite direction now. Lil wacky is going to be the starting Quarterback For Kansas State University come 2038, so I'm not worried about him at all. He'll make his bread in college.

I don't vote on student loans, I am a bootstrapper.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: May 19, 2022, 06:02:47 PM »
just to be clear, it has not at all "gone the other way" for holders of student debt.  between the freeze on payments and depreciation of debt due to inflation, there has already been a giveaway of hundreds of billions of dollars to debt holders.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: May 19, 2022, 06:53:31 PM »
I don't know how you figure that, the interest hasn't been frozen.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: May 19, 2022, 06:56:19 PM »

Uhh what do you think a payment freeze is exactly?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: May 19, 2022, 07:04:56 PM »

Uhh what do you think a payment freeze is exactly?

The interest is deferred, kim carnes, it's still owed, at least with Navient. The "freeze" constituted having to call them and request a forbearance.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: May 20, 2022, 12:54:51 PM »
As the S&P enters bear market territory, the idiotic sanctions along with China have hit the global economy for $1.6 Trillion YTD, virus spiking (again), student loan interest rates going up, gas prices at all time record highs,  inflation. 

Need some Friday Trump news.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#blueanon

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: May 20, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
Dax, what sanctions do you feel are idiotic?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: May 20, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »
As the S&P enters bear market territory, the idiotic sanctions along with China have hit the global economy for $1.6 Trillion YTD, virus spiking (again), student loan interest rates going up, gas prices at all time record highs,  inflation. 

Need some Friday Trump news.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#blueanon

Not Trump, but maybe this is close enough?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: May 20, 2022, 01:10:14 PM »
Biden is very good at keeping himself out of the news cycle. It's probably the most refreshing thing about his presidency.