Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 41373 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #1650 on: April 05, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
Is it time to subpoena iPOTUS "S-Corp" Biden's tax records?

As an aside, very proud of the Biden's for taking advantage of this very clear cut tax avoidance methodology.   Countless Dem politicians and pillars of the Dem movement have employed a myriad of tax avoidance methods over the years as they cashed in on their political position.   Unfortunately for the Biden's they can't touch other pillars of the Dem party from a pure cash flow perspective. 

https://banks.house.gov/uploadedfiles/biden_letter_aca.pdf

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 05, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »
Here's an interesting article about Biden's infrastructure plan.   The usual hair trigger ProgFascists will lose their mind, but for people with a much high level of intellect (like me) it's an interesting read.

https://www.dlacalle.com/en/why-joe-bidens-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan-may-fail/

The main problem of Biden’s plan is that is largely politically and public-sector driven. It includes almost 40% of subsidies to local corporations and the public sector, which can reduce productivity and efficiency, as already happened in the past.

In the revenue side, figures are wildly optimistic. A $695 billion increase in corporate tax revenues from the current level is science fiction and does not even consider any negative effects from raising corporate tax to a rate that would be the highest one in the OECD, considering effective and nominal rates for most companies.

Perused it, honestly seems pretty shallow analysis geared towards the negative, plus typos.

Like congrats R&D is literally funding something that currently is either not technologically or economically feasible to try and make it more so, tax hike is kind of characterized as crazy huge when from what I've read the corporate one is feasible but can be characterized as leaning towards being more ambitious. Won't talk too much about why huge bills attached to reconciliation is attacking Senate process and is kind of a dumb angle, but I'm all here for the Senate going towards passing legislation with majority votes as it historically has.

Can't decide if it's worth my time to delve into Biden's proposal in detail too much considering it has to go through the meat grinder in Congress.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 05, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
Here's an interesting article about Biden's infrastructure plan.   The usual hair trigger ProgFascists will lose their mind, but for people with a much high level of intellect (like me) it's an interesting read.

https://www.dlacalle.com/en/why-joe-bidens-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan-may-fail/

The main problem of Biden’s plan is that is largely politically and public-sector driven. It includes almost 40% of subsidies to local corporations and the public sector, which can reduce productivity and efficiency, as already happened in the past.

In the revenue side, figures are wildly optimistic. A $695 billion increase in corporate tax revenues from the current level is science fiction and does not even consider any negative effects from raising corporate tax to a rate that would be the highest one in the OECD, considering effective and nominal rates for most companies.

Perused it, honestly seems pretty shallow analysis geared towards the negative, plus typos.

Like congrats R&D is literally funding something that currently is either not technologically or economically feasible to try and make it more so, tax hike is kind of characterized as crazy huge when from what I've read the corporate one is feasible but can be characterized as leaning towards being more ambitious. Won't talk too much about why huge bills attached to reconciliation is attacking Senate process and is kind of a dumb angle, but I'm all here for the Senate going towards passing legislation with majority votes as it historically has.

Can't decide if it's worth my time to delve into Biden's proposal in detail too much considering it has to go through the meat grinder in Congress.

Should we put memphis in the 'we had to pass the bill in order to read it' camp?

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 05, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
Congress seems to govern mainly with reconciliation bills that lend themselves to be gigantic and wide ranging in order to play within Senate rules. I don't particularly like that method of policy/governance but here we are :dunno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 05, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »
Congress seems to govern mainly with reconciliation bills that lend themselves to be gigantic and wide ranging in order to play within Senate rules. I don't particularly like that method of policy/governance but here we are :dunno:

Yes, here we are, and it will mean they'll be all kinds of things involved that have little if anything to do with actual infrastructure.

I'm just looking forward to the first smart person (besides me of course) who tackles what will ultimately be the Chinese component of such a bill.   Specifically Chinese control over strategic infrastructure capital goods manufacturing.    They'll obviously be a Chinese component in the energy production and distribution components of such a bill as well.   Possibly even broadband.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 06, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
Why does an infrastructure bill have $400B earmarked for long term care??   

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 06, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »

Is that a service contract on construction?  So $400B for preventative maintenance for the next 20 years or something?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #1657 on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:44 PM »
Yeah, maintenance would be my guess. The stuff we don’t do any of right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Distinguished Scholar/Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 06, 2021, 06:17:53 PM »
Lol. Why would they use the phrase "long term care"?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 06, 2021, 06:20:21 PM »
guys it’s for taking care of old people which is why I’m asking why it’s in there

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 06, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
As long as they repeal the salt cap I’m fine with it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 06, 2021, 06:25:00 PM »
As long as they repeal the salt cap I’m fine with it
100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 06, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Same reason all bills have completely non related spending attached to them.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 06, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
they split off the other non-infrastructure stuff but left the long-term care in, it's kinda weird.

tbh, i'm not crazy about the infrastructure bill even after the split.  getting kinda negative on biden overall.
"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 06, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »
they split off the other non-infrastructure stuff but left the long-term care in, it's kinda weird.

tbh, i'm not crazy about the infrastructure bill even after the split.  getting kinda negative on biden overall.

Curious, care to expound? Size/breadth or just disagree importance/roi of certain portions? tbh it's not clear to me the timeframe for all of it, I had assumed like over a decade  :dunno: I have a big disconnect between budgetary spending and expected project dates in my head.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:06:26 PM by memphis »

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: April 06, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
not big enough overall, not enough transportation and energy stuff.  need to look into the housing stuff more, but if it's not climate-focused, i don't see the point in the federal govt doing housing.  also not convinced on manufacturing (but again, don't know the details).

heard there was some cool zoning stuff in it, but don't know the details and i'm not sure how that would work anyway.

on getting negative overall, that's mostly unrelated to this bill, but it colors my perception/suspicion of the bill.  i dunno, we'll see what it looks like when it gets to the senate.
"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: April 06, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
oh, and raising the corporate tax is dumb.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: April 06, 2021, 08:25:50 PM »
Once every 1500 days @sys bot says something smart.

Mark this day down

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: April 06, 2021, 09:30:20 PM »
oh, and raising the corporate tax is dumb.
Cutting it was also dumb though. Quite a pickle.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:45 PM »
cutting the corporate rate was good.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: April 07, 2021, 06:29:29 AM »
Some discussion on the corporate rate, almost makes me want to understand what deductions they're speaking towards. One of those things where okay 25 is great if it is effectively 23 or whatever for X company?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/06/corporate-america-biden-infrastructure-plan-479490

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: April 07, 2021, 07:14:27 AM »
subsidizing long-term care may or may not be a good idea, i don't feel i really know enough to say.  but something about spending four times as much on it as on roads in an infrastructure bill doesn't sit well with me.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: April 07, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
Just read Matt Yglesias' slow boring article where he goes contrarian on spending more for roads/bridges with the idea they're funded enough now to keep them in a state that works for transportation relatively well. Basically that it's fine, but he prioritizes other policy of the proposal, I trust "big Civil Engineers" more tho.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: April 07, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
It won't be long until the next real coup attempt

?s=20

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: April 07, 2021, 12:42:56 PM »
short write up of the plan's attempt to improve zoning restrictions.  sounds like a good idea, although i'm skeptical that it will be highly effective.  didn't see how much of the money allocated to "housing" would be going to this effort.