Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 40016 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #1675 on: April 07, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »
proposed funding for high speed rail in biden's infrastructure bill = $0.

"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: April 07, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »
Sounds like they're (WH proposal) focused on repairing the Acela line, which actually makes sense to me.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:56 PM »
Sounds like they're (WH proposal) focused on repairing the Acela line, which actually makes sense to me.

Doesn't acela lose it's ass?  It is time to do high speed except don't run the KC line down to butthole texas

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 07, 2021, 10:07:45 PM »
High speed rail probably isn’t in there bc it’s risky.  Like, you might spend an assload of money and not end up with much to show for it and every news outlet in the country will bag on it like they did with California’s high speed rail project. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: April 07, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »
it's a small-minded, small bill.  we just spent 5 trillion plus in a single year just handing money out to people.  joe manchin publicly asked for 4 trillion in infrastructure spending.  biden is proposing less than two trillion over 8 years.  no signature project anyone will remember.  115 billion for roads and bridges!  that's less 15 billion/year.  it rounds down to approximately nothing.
"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: April 07, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
like, is it better than nothing?  yes, of course.  is it good?  no, it's crap.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:41 PM »

Doesn't acela lose it's ass?  It is time to do high speed except don't run the KC line down to butthole texas

I think the DC to NY is the only Amtrak that is profitable and actually carries more passengers than planes annually between those destinations (which I didn't expect). I could easily be convinced that HSR is a great idea for like the NE or some select trips between large cities. I'm skeptical it's a good idea to try and replicate air travel across the continent mainly because we apparently suck at building HSR and I think we can just electrify cars or airplanes.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 07, 2021, 11:44:11 PM »
it's a small-minded, small bill.  we just spent 5 trillion plus in a single year just handing money out to people.  joe manchin publicly asked for 4 trillion in infrastructure spending.  biden is proposing less than two trillion over 8 years.  no signature project anyone will remember.  115 billion for roads and bridges!  that's less 15 billion/year.  it rounds down to approximately nothing.

I think the push for electrification of cars and decarbonizing electricity production are significant shifts.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:21 PM »
We suck at building HSR because we are a Republic and with substantial state and local juridictional control.

We are also a country rife with urban sprawl, and the NE corridor (and soon the SE) is overrun with urban sprawl and megalopolis which means they are trying to build HSR which mandates more secure rail lines/expresss routes through densely populated areas and a myriad of jurisdictions.   Not to mention the massive amount of Federal red tape that will have to be worked through with a nearly unprecedented level of Federal agencies before you even get to their similar state agencies. 

We are better served to improve roads, and focus on a reasonable transition to non fossil fueled modes of transportation across the roads.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 09, 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
"Transmission is one of the longest lead time components of the clean economy," FERC Commissioner Allison Clements, whose agency has jurisdiction over the grid in most parts of the country, told POLITICO. "We need to start yesterday."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/08/biden-green-goals-power-grid-480446

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 09, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
Transmission line infrastructure production needs copious amounts of fossil fuels.

Transmission line installation on a broad scale likely means substantial clearing of right of ways impacting wildlife habitat

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 10, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
short write up of the plan's attempt to improve zoning restrictions.  sounds like a good idea, although i'm skeptical that it will be highly effective.  didn't see how much of the money allocated to "housing" would be going to this effort.

This echos those same concerns, giving money is great, but if locales wanted to allow more (denser and less red tape) housing most would have already done so. It's weird that they talk about cost in elimination of zoning restrictions, is that like the cost of allaying NIMBY fears with a park/public space or something other cost?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/10/biden-housing-plan-480676

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 10, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
mandating that retrofitting houses only be done with union labor is ridiculous and symptomatic of how dems are trying to use this bill to slip in a lot of unrelated labor law.  i recently found out that it includes the abc test for independent contractors, which is a poison pill for me.

if the bill isn't completely overwritten in congress to remove this sort of nonsense, i hope it is defeated.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Distinguished Scholar/Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 10, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
mandating that retrofitting houses only be done with union labor is ridiculous and symptomatic of how dems are trying to use this bill to slip in a lot of unrelated labor law.  i recently found out that it includes the abc test for independent contractors, which is a poison pill for me.

if the bill isn't completely overwritten in congress to remove this sort of nonsense, i hope it is defeated.

Well if that's not infrastructure, I don't know what is...