Author Topic: KU Gems of the Game Thread: KU is like really, really bad  (Read 7687 times)

Offline emawmason

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KU Gems of the Game Thread: KU is like really, really bad
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
I always appreciate the sentiment of fans that "if you take away those special teams plays, a bad turnover and the defensive score it is a closer game than you'd think"

Yeah true, but that is what bad teams do, and what good teams make happen.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
Thank you DQ12. Back to my sheep!

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
i feel bad for them too.  they are so good at basketball.  they don't HAVE to play football.  like, Gonzaga fans probably don't feel horrible all autumn.  they can just root for some other CFB team and then party all winter when it's basketball time. 

Most KU fans were already KSU football fans in the 90s anyway.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »
Their sadness eventually devolves into the feel better claim that these games don’t really count because KU isn’t very good. 

We can sadly say that the KU vs K-State instate rivalry is the least consequential instate rivalry in P5 football.   Easily the most lopsided in the championship/CFBPO era which started 28 years ago.  23-5 in favor of K-State over that period.

They of course will claim they don’t care.   But rest assured next time they win both KU Memorial Stadium goalposts are going into Potters water retention pond.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »
Their sadness eventually devolves into the feel better claim that these games don’t really count because KU isn’t very good. 

We can sadly say that the KU vs K-State instate rivalry is the least consequential instate rivalry in P5 football.   Easily the most lopsided in the championship/CFBPO era which started 28 years ago.  23-5 in favor of K-State over that period.

They of course will claim they don’t care.   But rest assured next time they win both KU Memorial Stadium goalposts are going into Potters water retention pond.

Not gE'ing, I do not see an instance where they could win in our lifetimes

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 02:20:57 PM »
:lol: the posts leading up to the punt return right before halftime. incredible, great job dlew.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
It's easy to dismiss them all as sophomoric idiots who make sheep-rough ridin' jokes and are out of their depth when talking about a sport played with a ball with two pointy ends, but that one poster was remarkably spot on with the two K-State special team scores prediction.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 06:34:38 PM »
The worst part about KU football is that they keep throwing money at it.  They don't need to change conferences.  This one is a gold mine for them.  All they need to do is stop putting any money into football, and keep everything else the same. No one will know the difference, and they will get rich!

Online PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
I think the best part about those gems is the complaints about the refs when the TV commentators are saying "when was the last time that K-State had 8 penalties in the first quarter?"

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
Dlew you are a treasure for doing this. Thank you. I mean there are so many LOLs. Where do I even begin? Of course my favorite is the public display of mental gymnastics where they insist that if it weren't for these 4 or 5 major plays, the game would be much closer.

I would also recommend to KU that they cancel the program. It honestly just isn't worth it anymore, and it hasn't been for a long time. I mean as Fatty would say, I'd miss the $10 and free wins, but my god, man. I watch their games every single week and it seems like every single week they find a new dumb thing to do to top the previous week's super dumb thing. Guys! You won't miss it! You could be basketball only and have your Saturdays free! You could be just like Wichita State! Go go go go go!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
Latest Phog meme: Everyone knew it was going to be a tough year. :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2020, 10:18:23 PM »
my favorite is the annual anointing of a new quarterback moving forward.

like, remember Ryan Willis?  I do, but barely!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 08:00:30 AM »

Someone should make an infamous QB jersey of failures like the one they have for the Cleveland Browns.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
The annointed one KU QB now ranks up there with the Gridiron Club coming 2009 2010 2011 . . .

Offline HamBoned

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »

Someone should make an infamous QB jersey of failures like the one they have for the Cleveland Browns.

Best I could do on my phone

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
The sad part is that Willis and Cozart ended up being starters at programs much better than KU.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
All this KU QB talk makes me wonder what became of Sparkles.  About 8 years ago, the he was at the Rally House by Oak Park Mall in Overland Park pitching a book that he wrote, but I wasn't able to get there.  Reesing actually did live up to the hype of him being the chosen QB.

Online PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »

That is exactly what I was thinking. However, I had a minute, so I decided to list out the quarterbacks in order of starts. This would do a better job, I thought, of showing the pure chaos of that program. Stats, wins, and finishes, don't matter. If you started a single game, then your name gets put on the list in that spot. I started with the 2009 season

Pick
Webb
Mecham
Back to Webb
Crist
Cummings
Heaps
Cozart
Back to Cummings
Back to Cozart
Willis
Back to Cozart one more time
Back to Willis
Stanley
Cozart again (guys, I’m not kidding)
Stanley again
Bender
Stanley for a 3rd act
Daniels
Kendrick
Back to Daniels

For comparison, ours looks like this:
Gregory
Coffman
Klein
Waters
Hubener
Cook
Ertz
Delton
Thompson
Howard

I don't think ours is 100% right, because I could have sworn we had some flip flopping in one of those seasons, but I don't have the time to dive into the depths of the internet right now to verify. You still get the point.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »

That is exactly what I was thinking. However, I had a minute, so I decided to list out the quarterbacks in order of starts. This would do a better job, I thought, of showing the pure chaos of that program. Stats, wins, and finishes, don't matter. If you started a single game, then your name gets put on the list in that spot. I started with the 2009 season

Pick
Webb
Mecham
Back to Webb
Crist
Cummings
Heaps
Cozart
Back to Cummings
Back to Cozart
Willis
Back to Willis
Stanley
Stanley again
Bender
Stanley for a 3rd act
Daniels
Kendrick
Back to Daniels

Gregory
Coffman
Klein
Waters
Hubener
Cook
Ertz
Delton
Thompson
Howard

I don't think ours is 100% right, because I could have sworn we had some flip flopping in one of those seasons, but I don't have the time to dive into the depths of the internet right now to verify. You still get the point.
The running catastrophe at QB has been amazing to watch.

Are they horrrible b/c of the qb situation or is the situation at qb horrible because of the chaos around the QB. Like the ultimate chicken (no pun intented) and egg scenario.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
I remember some of my KU buds were totally jacked about Zane Crisp or whatever his name was, because HE WAS THE STARTING QB AT NOTRE DAME!!!!  Only to have him turn out to be a massive flop and get benched in favor of some no name freshman.     :frown:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
I remember some of my KU buds were totally jacked about Zane Crisp or whatever his name was, because HE WAS THE STARTING QB AT NOTRE DAME!!!!  Only to have him turn out to be a massive flop and get benched in favor of some no name freshman.     :frown:

I just looked this poor bastard up and it's even worse than I remember and also his name is Dayne Crist.  From his Wiki page (lol):

The other side of the debate focuses on the Jayhawks failing to win a game after Labor Day stating that a significant reason for the poor season was the play of Crist who finished the season with the worst quarterback rating in NCAA Division 1A (ranked 116th out of 116 qualifying quarterbacks).[7]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
They could put Pat Mahomes at QB and still not win more than 3 or 4 games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 09:15:33 PM »

Pick
Webb
Mecham
Back to Webb
Crist
Cummings
Heaps
Cozart
Back to Cummings
Back to Cozart
Willis
Back to Willis
Stanley
Stanley again
Bender
Stanley for a 3rd act
Daniels
Kendrick
Back to Daniels

Gregory
Coffman
Klein
Waters
Hubener
Cook
Ertz
Delton
Thompson
Howard

The only quabble that could be made is that it was Thompson to Delton to Thompson. Sams never replaced Waters for ineffectiveness like Cody Cook did for Bazooka Joe.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
I think Collin Klein started one game vs Texas in 2010 due to his running ability, and then we went back to Coffman after that.  Klein was 2-4 for 9 yards passing in the whole game, yet we won by a score of 39-14.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=303102306

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 10:47:51 PM »
I think Collin Klein started one game vs Texas in 2010 due to his running ability, and then we went back to Coffman after that.  Klein was 2-4 for 9 yards passing in the whole game, yet we won by a score of 39-14.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=303102306

I think Coffman was hurt, and also what I always think back on that game is the absolute terror of Daniel Thomas and CK we unleashed on the texas defense without them knowing it.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla