Author Topic: Covid keepers  (Read 5107 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Covid keepers
« on: October 12, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
Should I stay or should I go?

With the news of Skylar Thompson this morning being out the rest of the year. Do we think he will opt in to next year or move on?

Covid is going to make the end of the year really tricky. I am not at all excited to see who stays and goes because a part of me wants this to be a regular year for recruiting purposes but the other part of me says if you have another year of eligibility you take it.

What say you goEMAW?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Covid keepers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »
I think he's done.

We will also need to cut a few more current players on scholarship. I think the only current senior who is 100% staying is Blake Lynch.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »
I hope all the really good players come back and all the meh ones decide to move on. And then they're replaced by stud HS recruits and/or transfers.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
I think he's done.

We will also need to cut a few more current players on scholarship. I think the only current senior who is 100% staying is Blake Lynch.
This is how I feel, the team needs to make room for the recruiting class and i feel like most of the seniors will understand that.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:07:03 PM »
Senior schollies don't count next year. So we can have extra bodies as long as we can afford it.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
I think he's done.

He is coming back from what I have heard. Same person that told me he was out for the season before the news broke.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »
Senior schollies don't count next year. So we can have extra bodies as long as we can afford it.

Right, it's the affording it piece. I'd be shocked if we're over, let's say 93, scholarships, next year. One important thing to remember about this rule and the scholarships are that they won't just have to pay for extra scholarships, next year, but in theory a program can carry over 85 scholarships until this year's freshmen exhaust their eligibility. The NCAA will still allow the schools to sign up to 25 kids a year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »
I think he's done.

He is coming back from what I have heard. Same person that told me he was out for the season before the news broke.

Is this taking the actual injury, like recovery and rehab time, into account?

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »
The good news is our senior class isn’t huge, so that should help. I’d be good with the following staying (not that they would want to):
B Moore
E Sullivan
B Lynch
J Mac
I Mac
D Wiley
N Johnson
B Massie
Mixed on Thompson. Feel bad for him.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »
I think he's done.

Is this taking the actual injury, like recovery and rehab time, into account?
I believe so. I was told this on Saturday.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
The good news is our senior class isn’t huge, so that should help. I’d be good with the following staying (not that they would want to):
B Moore
E Sullivan
B Lynch
J Mac
I Mac
D Wiley
N Johnson
B Massie
Mixed on Thompson. Feel bad for him.

I feel the same way about Elijah as I do Skylar. A 6th year along with a catastrophic injury seems a bit too much, but if he's good with it, I'll be happy for him.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »
Are there any title 9 implications on how many players can come back for another senior year? Like say only 5 female athletes decide to come back are we only allowed to keep 5 fball players?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »
Are there any title 9 implications on how many players can come back for another senior year? Like say only 5 female athletes decide to come back are we only allowed to keep 5 fball players?

The only way this a school is going to find themselves in title ix trouble is that they are honoring a bunch of male sports scholarship extensions but denying those for women on a large scale.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
https://youtu.be/wCkXH78ciFQ

I don't think Kli-guy wants Skylar back. They are expecting him to leave.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »

The only way this a school is going to find themselves in title ix trouble is that they are honoring a bunch of male sports scholarship extensions but denying those for women on a large scale.

Wouldn't most student-athletes getting a full scholarship, absolutely try to come back?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 03:11:05 PM »
....no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 03:20:28 PM »

Wouldn't most student-athletes getting a full scholarship, absolutely try to come back?

No. College sports is very difficult and I'd imagine most of these athletes, going pro in something other than sports, want to move on. Most of these athletes will have to enroll in grad school to exhaust all six years of eligibility they will have.

It's also very important to remember that the coaches and athletic departments don't have to honor the extra year. I can't imagine a lot of athletic departments have the money to carry every single athlete currently on scholarship, for another year, spread out over the next five years, while continuing to recruit and sign new athletes.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
Unless you think you can make the NFL or it helps your coaching career in the future why would you.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
Unless you think you can make the NFL or it helps your coaching career in the future why would you.

Read that article Tom posted last week about USC linebackers  :cry:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »

Love of the game man
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
I get the institutions not having the money. I understand that college athletics is hard, jut thought most students would want to graduate and keep getting free housing/training table/school and keep playing a sport they like.

:dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »
Free school when you already have your degree is a lot different than free school to earn a degree.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »
Free school when you already have your degree is a lot different than free school to earn a degree.

Yep. It's very difficult to stay eligible and not graduate in five years, virtually impossible.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 04:58:21 PM »
It's important to remember that P5 college football is an intense job with extremely weak benefits and not just something kids do for fun with their pals. I think KK knows this?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
Not that I hate Lynch coming back, but word is we have a huge stud kicker coming in next year.  Seems like a pretty easy position to step right into provided you don't crap yourself.