Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 115845 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1375 on: October 22, 2023, 10:10:03 PM »
I truly believe that alternating Avery on drives is just as much to de-pressurize Will to make him better as it is to get our speedster stud on the field.

I think it does help a lot mentally for Will to not feel like he has to do it all.

You believe that Will thinks that talking every snap burdensome and splitting his job is freeing to him?

Yeah, I hadn't seen that soundbite until you posted it, but when your response to that question is "you can only control what you can control" and that you "don't make the decisions" - that's pretty telling. It's obviously the truth - as it would be for anyone in this situation - but I'm honestly a bit surprised that Will didn't have a stock "whatever's best for the team" type of answer there.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1376 on: October 22, 2023, 11:33:26 PM »
I truly believe that alternating Avery on drives is just as much to de-pressurize Will to make him better as it is to get our speedster stud on the field.

I think it does help a lot mentally for Will to not feel like he has to do it all.

You believe that Will thinks that talking every snap burdensome and splitting his job is freeing to him?
Why wouldn’t it be? The TCU game sent a pretty strong message that the coaches are going to play Avery cause he’s good, not because Will is bad or even necessarily that Avery is the better 4-quarter QB at this time.

I totally agree that alternating drives is not a season long strategy, and if we weren’t dominating TCU the whole game they would have done something else. But I think there is enough data to conclude that Will performs better when he’s something other than QB 1.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 23, 2023, 02:45:42 AM »
I agree but I'm not sure the QBs knew they would be alternating possessions. I'd feel better about it if they knew that was the case but I got the impression that CKx2 were playing it by feel. Will seemed kind of surly during his post game interview. Don't know who asked the "proud of Avery" question, but that was wack.

hey will, what kind of parental role has avery played for you and your teammates?

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 23, 2023, 03:34:12 AM »
:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 23, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
I agree but I'm not sure the QBs knew they would be alternating possessions. I'd feel better about it if they knew that was the case but I got the impression that CKx2 were playing it by feel. Will seemed kind of surly during his post game interview. Don't know who asked the "proud of Avery" question, but that was wack.

hey will, what kind of parental role has avery played for you and your teammates?

:ROFL: the fact that she asked that question after he clearly took exception to the framing is top notch unawareness

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: October 23, 2023, 05:15:01 PM »

:ROFL: the fact that she asked that question after he clearly took exception to the framing is top notch unawareness

question, and I mean this in all seriousness - what portion of sports reporters like the one asking these questions actually played competitive athletics?  Not saying that they should or shouldn't or that it should be a prerequisite or anything.  Just genuinely curious. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 23, 2023, 06:31:45 PM »
It's a great example of where sports journalism goes wrong, imo.  The bullshit stories they try to weave, then how often they bring them up during the game, is super cringe to me. 

I mean, these guys are doing wildly amazing things and spend a wild amount of time, discipline, determination, and pain and suffering to be able to perform at this level.  People watch college and pro sports for how awesome the athletes are and how entertaining that makes the games.  The bullshit about grandma and their relationship with their little sister growing up is so not needed.

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 23, 2023, 08:00:58 PM »
It's a great example of where sports journalism goes wrong, imo.  The bullshit stories they try to weave, then how often they bring them up during the game, is super cringe to me. 

I mean, these guys are doing wildly amazing things and spend a wild amount of time, discipline, determination, and pain and suffering to be able to perform at this level.  People watch college and pro sports for how awesome the athletes are and how entertaining that makes the games.  The bullshit about grandma and their relationship with their little sister growing up is so not needed.
Thank you.  The fact that in major college football today people regularly catch passes is actually insane to me. 

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 23, 2023, 11:45:36 PM »
We aren't going to think piece this woman asking a stupid question, are we? I've heard enough white house briefings and movie release press tours to know that asking stupid questions while simultaneously not actually listening isn't specific to sports media. There's dumb people in every profession in the world.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 24, 2023, 03:36:45 PM »
I thought Will handled that pretty well. You could hear his pain in the "freshman JV" answer about the last time he split reps in a game.
He also hinted at the obvious weakness of a 2QB system - telegraphing to the other team what the offense is likely to do based on who is in the game at QB.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 24, 2023, 04:00:34 PM »
Will played well enough that I think he gets full time status again against Houston. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 24, 2023, 11:13:27 PM »
Will played well enough that I think he gets full time status again against Houston.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 27, 2023, 12:29:51 PM »
Seems like the best thing to do is rotate them both (assuming they're both having success) so that UT has more to prepare for next week.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 27, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Seems like the best thing to do is rotate them both (assuming they're both having success) so that UT has more to prepare for next week.
You don't think they would need to prep for both given what we've seen so far? I think there's enough track record to assume you need to prepare for both of healthy

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 27, 2023, 01:10:07 PM »
I think there's enough, for sure. But I don't see a reason not to add some more crap in there.

Or this week you could just play them in offenses where Will always throws and Avery always runs, then switch it completely for the UT game. Really throw them through a loop.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 27, 2023, 01:11:26 PM »
I think there's enough, for sure. But I don't see a reason not to add some more crap in there.

Or this week you could just play them in offenses where Will always throws and Avery always runs, then switch it completely for the UT game. Really throw them through a loop.

If anyone has a way to contact Collin Klein, please get this extra awesome game plan to him STAT!!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 27, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »
Avery is the better thrower of the two

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 27, 2023, 01:12:29 PM »
Without question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 27, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »
Also the better runner

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 27, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »
Also the better runner

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: October 27, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »
Without question

Uh, there's lots of questions about that. He threw one timing pass pattern all season and the pass was off. I'm pretty sure he throws a better deep ball. Will is really good in tight windows and he's pretty good on the timing patterns. I'd like to see Avery do any of that in college.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 27, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Without question

Uh, there's lots of questions about that. He threw one timing pass pattern all season and the pass was off. I'm pretty sure he throws a better deep ball. Will is really good in tight windows and he's pretty good on the timing patterns. I'd like to see Avery do any of that in college.

well no questions from me anyway

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 27, 2023, 03:12:26 PM »
Will is better at handing the ball off for sure

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 27, 2023, 03:33:37 PM »
will howard = josh allen
avery johnson = nfl mahomes (not college mahomes)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 27, 2023, 03:52:56 PM »
Without question

yeah i think there is some projection of future avery going on here