Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 113314 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1250 on: October 08, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
All seven this year have been horrible.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 08, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »
LoL at justifying Wills interceptions as the 'good' kind.  Maybe
wrong but I don't recall any of his picks being catchable balls.

They’re bizarre.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 09, 2023, 01:08:46 PM »
Two years ago, I would have said Howard's career arch would lead us to last night. I just didn't see that strange bump in the middle that was 2022.     

1000% worth it

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 09, 2023, 02:16:40 PM »
Has there been any comment from the coaches as to why Avery didn't see the field at all?  Heard plenty from other Cats fans but didn't know if anyone on the staff had been asked or answered.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 09, 2023, 02:19:10 PM »
Has there been any comment from the coaches as to why Avery didn't see the field at all?  Heard plenty from other Cats fans but didn't know if anyone on the staff had been asked or answered.

staff is saving him so he can play 5 years from now. Good decision in current college landscape in my opinion.

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 09, 2023, 02:48:44 PM »
LOL!  Kind of what I was thinking too?  Nothing tells talented kids (especially the in state kids...) Manhattan is the place to shine like that strategy.  Nevermind the whole just winning a game or getting a possible spark but hey, that's what I'm making the big money coaching for. 

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 09, 2023, 03:24:55 PM »
One would think Will's confidence is in the shitter after last Friday, but who knows.

After four years, I'm still not quite sure if Will can consistently go through progressions and, if he can't, it's not like that's going to ever happen (I think this is partially why Sinnott gets so many targets).

So, let's simplify stuff for him. Vaughn was a tremendous safety valve last year and while we've used Giddens/Ward in the pass game (23 combined receptions - about 20% total), I think we could/should do more since those are pretty easy throws (flat, etc.). I'm also not convinced our WRs are as bad as many think, but there is pretty simple stuff we can do if they're having trouble with separation (slants, outs, etc.). The slants aren't tough throws (though the outs can be).

Bottom line - let's call plays with easy reads and get Will's confidence back. If they're pressing, adjust the WR routes and run some slants. If they're sitting back, run some crosses. Drill down in Will's head to take what's there and stop forcing stuff. And, as awkward as he can look running the ball (we're guaranteed at least one self-inflicted trip/fall down without being touched per game), we've got to continue to have that element (and, sprinkling in Johnson here and there in the QB run game would be great too, but I digress). We should aim for 60/40 run v pass because that's what we do best and that also helps take pressure off Will.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 09, 2023, 03:30:52 PM »
I was curious, so looked at last year - we were almost exactly 60/40 run v pass for the season.

This year, we're 52/48 run v pass.

Klein needs to adjust accordingly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 09, 2023, 03:54:53 PM »

staff is saving him so he can play 5 years from now. Good decision in current college landscape in my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Klieman said they discussed it
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Afu-LigJHlE?si=bjoRn8EdsEVF78vJ&start=237

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 09, 2023, 03:55:51 PM »
I think HCCK probably used some swear words when talking to OCCK the last few days
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: October 09, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »
Last year, right before the Alabama bowl game, the tv guys were talking about what changed with Will from 2021 to 2022.  They said Will went to some QB camp, worked beside guys he considered big names, and did just fine.  Evidently Will said how doing well alongside those guys made him realize that he can play well and that it gave him a huge confidence boost. 

Will may just have too large of a case of Imposter Syndrome to fully overcome it.  Especially if it is renewed every game to any real extent.  Especially if he played shitty the game before.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 09, 2023, 03:59:30 PM »
I was curious, so looked at last year - we were almost exactly 60/40 run v pass for the season.

The strengths of the opponents and game flow factor in to that too. We also had a different quarterback at this point in the season last year.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: October 09, 2023, 04:35:03 PM »

The strengths of the opponents and game flow factor in to that too. We also had a different quarterback at this point in the season last year.

For sure, but I think it goes back to our identity as an offense. Situational stuff is always going to happen, but I think our mentality can/should overly emphasize the run.

Last year, with Martinez, we were 64/36 run v pass and once he got hurt, we were 56/44 run v pass with Will.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 09, 2023, 05:46:57 PM »

For sure, but I think it goes back to our identity as an offense. Situational stuff is always going to happen, but I think our mentality can/should overly emphasize the run.

Last year, with Martinez, we were 64/36 run v pass and once he got hurt, we were 56/44 run v pass with Will.

Especially if our QB is just going to stare down 1 receiver and then throw it directly to the opponent at least once or twice a game. I'm still a bit perplexed at the offensive calls so far and the lack of AJ playing time. I'm a bit surprised they don't have some run packages with a few easy pass options for him to run a few series each game. I would have liked to see him Saturday, but CK would have probably called 4 go routes each play for him.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 09, 2023, 06:00:32 PM »
It feels really strange having a serious discussion about dumbing down the offense for our senior QB.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 09, 2023, 06:03:41 PM »

WTF, we haven't even kept a bad QB for five years, so how ITF can we keep a good QB for that long?  Skywalker was the exception, but he was injured a shitload of times.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 09, 2023, 09:31:45 PM »
It feels really strange having a serious discussion about dumbing down the offense for our senior QB.

I don't think that's what KiTH is advocating. Understanding the playbook and the plays isn't a problem for Will, although it's undoubtedly a factor as to why we didn't see Avery on Friday.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: October 09, 2023, 09:44:45 PM »
TBH the staff should always have a package ready to go for Avery and use him for a drive or two every first half. Especially if Will continues to toss picks at the rate he has been.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 09, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
One would think Will's confidence is in the shitter after last Friday, but who knows.

After four years, I'm still not quite sure if Will can consistently go through progressions and, if he can't, it's not like that's going to ever happen (I think this is partially why Sinnott gets so many targets).

So, let's simplify stuff for him. Vaughn was a tremendous safety valve last year and while we've used Giddens/Ward in the pass game (23 combined receptions - about 20% total), I think we could/should do more since those are pretty easy throws (flat, etc.). I'm also not convinced our WRs are as bad as many think, but there is pretty simple stuff we can do if they're having trouble with separation (slants, outs, etc.). The slants aren't tough throws (though the outs can be).

Bottom line - let's call plays with easy reads and get Will's confidence back. If they're pressing, adjust the WR routes and run some slants. If they're sitting back, run some crosses. Drill down in Will's head to take what's there and stop forcing stuff. And, as awkward as he can look running the ball (we're guaranteed at least one self-inflicted trip/fall down without being touched per game), we've got to continue to have that element (and, sprinkling in Johnson here and there in the QB run game would be great too, but I digress). We should aim for 60/40 run v pass because that's what we do best and that also helps take pressure off Will.

This is that we should be doing to start games regardless. In general I feel Klein vs Messingham Klein inherently seemed to understand getting a few good gimme plays to boost confidence was important. It seems like we constantly jump over that and either get too cute or go for broke early on that never allows for any sense of rhythm to be established.

This game imo was a poor game plan and execution vs a worse team. It's ultimately the staff the didn't prepare them to play the game
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 10, 2023, 03:37:41 AM »
TBH the staff should always have a package ready to go for Avery and use him for a drive or two every first half. Especially if Will continues to toss picks at the rate he has been.

I'm sure they do but I'm guessing for the Oklahoma game that Avery package looked a whole lot like what they did with Will when we got down and they started running him with success. Frankly, I rather Will stay in a game like that than Avery coming in and taking unnecessary hits, especially when will is running the ball well.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 10, 2023, 05:37:18 AM »
i don't get it, like there's so much space in a football field, how hard can it be to get open and find them

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 10, 2023, 06:08:53 AM »

I'm sure they do but I'm guessing for the Oklahoma game that Avery package looked a whole lot like what they did with Will when we got down and they started running him with success. Frankly, I rather Will stay in a game like that than Avery coming in and taking unnecessary hits, especially when will is running the ball well.

when we are down 3 scores, yeah don't play Avery. That's why I was saying he should play every first half!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 10, 2023, 06:35:55 AM »
When exactly do you think we were supposed to pull Howard? He is still the guy that led us to a Big 12 title and scores of 40+ points in 3/4 games leading up to OSU.

He’s also the guy who broke a 70 yard run in like the second or third drive of the game.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 10, 2023, 08:22:23 AM »
Will is he who is and isn't changing at this point.  He's good for a long run or two a game, and an occasional good throw, along with a ton of overthrows and shitty interceptions.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: October 10, 2023, 08:24:49 AM »
When exactly do you think we were supposed to pull Howard? He is still the guy that led us to a Big 12 title and scores of 40+ points in 3/4 games leading up to OSU.

He’s also the guy who broke a 70 yard run in like the second or third drive of the game.

I don't know if you're asking me but I was not calling for Howard to be pulled, just for Avery to get a drive or two in the first half of every game.