Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 112674 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
Kid has moxie but he can't throw the ball at all, not even a little bit. That missed hitch route to Taylor was comically bad.

yeah, this is where I'm at. I like him but he is not good and I don't think he will be good. does that make sense? also he's a kid so maybe he's going to be good later but man I don't see it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
Honestly we should just put 15 more pounds of muscle on his lower half and use him like Klein. He doesn’t have Skylar’s lateral movement but he gets upfield well and is a one cut runner.  If they have to account for him in the run game he can still make serviceable throws to our TE and FB’s and occasionally find a wide open WR when teams put 8 in the box.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2020, 09:56:06 PM »
Honestly we should just put 15 more pounds of muscle on his lower half and use him like Klein. He doesn’t have Skylar’s lateral movement but he gets upfield well and is a one cut runner.  If they have to account for him in the run game he can still make serviceable throws to our TE and FB’s and occasionally find a wide open WR when teams put 8 in the box.

He's bigger than Collin was as a true freshman.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
Collin barley played before his Jr year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »

He sorghum played after that.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »
would be nice if his offensive coordinator would put him in a position to be successful, but alas, courtney is trash

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2020, 11:29:15 PM »
would be nice if his offensive coordinator would put him in a position to be successful, but alas, courtney is trash
I’m confused about what plays people think we should be running but aren’t running.

None of our wide receivers are good and neither is the quarterback and we’re also not very food at running the ball.  People tend to crap on OCs but the more likely and more boring answer is that almost all of our offensive players suck.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2020, 11:39:08 PM »
Recruiting better players is a pretty big part of being an OC.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 07, 2020, 11:41:12 PM »
I’m confused about what plays people think we should be running but aren’t running.

None of our wide receivers are good and neither is the quarterback and we’re also not very food at running the ball.  People tend to crap on OCs but the more likely and more boring answer is that almost all of our offensive players suck.

they should call more touchdowns and/or 60+ yard plays

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 07, 2020, 11:41:18 PM »

He sorghum played after that.

But only played limited millets as a freshman and soph.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2020, 11:51:25 PM »
Like the 4 star quarterback we’re bringing in next year or the slew of promising young linemen?

You can’t really build a power run oriented, pro style offense from scratch in two years.  WR is really the only position I’m concerned about moving forward, but I like the ‘21 guys.  Particularly Garcia.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2020, 12:05:18 AM »
Deuce might be B12 freshman of the Year (but he can only do so much)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2020, 12:18:19 AM »

you’re not confused about anything, but you can ask for an explanation
his job, our oc’s, is to put his players in positions to succeed.  play to his strength and protect his weaknesses
just seems to me that he’s asked to do a bit more than he’s ready or capable of doing

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2020, 12:42:31 AM »

we have a running back shaped exactly like a bowling ball.  i'm no football genius, but i think if we ran plays where we let him work up a head of steam and then received the football he'd be pretty hard to tackle.

also we did that at least twice today and he did seem hard to tackle and also it was fun to watch.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2020, 05:03:50 AM »
Like the 4 star quarterback we’re bringing in next year or the slew of promising young linemen?

You can’t really build a power run oriented, pro style offense from scratch in two years.  WR is really the only position I’m concerned about moving forward, but I like the ‘21 guys.  Particularly Garcia.

It’s fun seeing you put in a position to praise the OL recruiting. 

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2020, 07:27:58 AM »
Will Howard is slightly below average when he's not giving the ball to the other team.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »

It’s fun seeing you put in a position to praise the OL recruiting.
Not as good as it could have been, but if you look across the board, I think we’ll have one of the better lines in the conference in 2022 with a line full of young guys.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 08, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »

you’re not confused about anything, but you can ask for an explanation
his job, our oc’s, is to put his players in positions to succeed.  play to his strength and protect his weaknesses
just seems to me that he’s asked to do a bit more than he’s ready or capable of doing
Of course he’s being asked to do more than he’s ready for, he’s a true freshman.  Thems the breaks though for that youngster. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 08, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
I mean there's a reason we kept trying to run and ran that bootleg with a three yard pass to Dineen like a dozen times

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2020, 09:25:17 AM »
I mean there's a reason we kept trying to run and ran that bootleg with a three yard pass to Dineen like a dozen times
We somehow need to get way more aggressive yet keep Howard in his comfort zone. #Humdinger

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 08, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
We somehow need to get way more aggressive yet keep Howard in his comfort zone. #Humdinger

briley moore being out did not help

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 08, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »

I don't care about the turnovers if the alternatives are three and outs.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »

Yeah I disagree when the defense is as good as it has been most of the year. It's sure more boring to watch three and outs but probably gives us a better chance to win.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 08, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

Yeah I disagree when the defense is as good as it has been most of the year. It's sure more boring to watch three and outs but probably gives us a better chance to win.

Scoop and score not withstanding, you think the third quarter was better for the defense than the fourth? If we're turning the ball over, that means we're taking chances and moving the ball. I believe the defense was on the field for 11 minutes of the third quarter and that was with us starting with the ball.

I'd also point out that you've made a departure from our fake season philosophy. Why not let the kid play, it's high risk low reward?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 08, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »

Scoop and score not withstanding, you think the third quarter was better for the defense than the fourth? If we're turning the ball over, that means we're taking chances and moving the ball. I believe the defense was on the field for 11 minutes of the third quarter and that was with us starting with the ball.

I'd also point out that you've made a departure from our fake season philosophy. Why not let the kid play, it's high risk low reward?

Well you can't discount the scoop and score because that's my whole point.

And I think playing ball control offense is an important part of Howard's development, at least as much letting him sling it all over the field is if not more (if you can call his passing "slinging")