Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 112737 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
That sucks for Skylar, and we can kiss the Dr. Pepper goodbye, it's too much for a true freshman who didn't have either spring ball or a real pre season camp.

yep, sucks for Sky. A dr. pepper this season wouldn't have really counted anyway.

would Sky come back next season? Pre-injury I heard our guy Keitz talk to Kevin Lockett like it's a given that he'll come back.
  He seems like the perfect candidate to do it.  Good enough to help a team and potentially having draft stock but not good enough to get any sort of look this year, regardless of injury.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »
That sucks for Skylar, and we can kiss the Dr. Pepper goodbye, it's too much for a true freshman who didn't have either spring ball or a real pre season camp.

yep, sucks for Sky. A dr. pepper this season wouldn't have really counted anyway.

would Sky come back next season? Pre-injury I heard our guy Keitz talk to Kevin Lockett like it's a given that he'll come back.

First of all, I don't think kkk has any idea. I've heard people much closer to the day-to-do day of the program think there was no chance, pre-season injury of course.

I think a 6th year, with the injuries he's had, is a big ask. Also remember, he still needs to be in school, he can't just be a football player. I also think the nature of the injury will come into play. If he has pins in his throwing shoulder, that's going to be a long term problem.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »
Did it end up being a broken collar bone?
Specific injury wasn't released. They just called it an upper body injury.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
Well, at least Will has a bye week, and ku next to get himself up to speed. Probably take the edge off of drinking out of a fire hydrant.

Probably means no pepper, but I bet he'll help us win half the games left.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
Deuce should always have been the QB.

5'6" QB  :lol: :ROFL: :ksu:

If he was the QB, that would remove all roadblocks to him getting the ball other than the center correctly getting it between his legs.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »
eff it. LET’S ROLL WILDCATS TO PEPPER.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »
Well, at least Will has a bye week, and ku next to get himself up to speed. Probably take the edge off of drinking out of a fire hydrant.

If we get two more wins, I think this fake season could be viewed as a success. I don't think anyone would feel good about a 5 game losing streak to close out the year.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »

If we get two more wins, I think this fake season could be viewed as a success. I don't think anyone would feel good about a 5 game losing streak to close out the year.

Sure, I also don't think that'll happen either :dunno:

We're going to have great opportunities to win WVU, Baylor, and as always, ISU. And I don't think we'll be hapless against texas or okie st but those are going to probably be losses. Given the fluid nature of everything this season, it's hard for me to think ku will be the last win we'll get.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
Pretty hilarious that people think Stoutward can't Pepper and Thompson can given that Stoutward beat out Thompson for the QB job.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »

We're going to have great opportunities to win WVU, Baylor, and as always, ISU. And I don't think we'll be hapless against texas or okie st but those are going to probably be losses. Given the fluid nature of everything this season, it's hard for me to think ku will be the last win we'll get.

I don't think the QBs of any of those five teams will play close to as poorly as Duggan played on Saturday.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
Duggan played poorly because our defense got in his head and he didn't want any of it.  Who's to say that won't happen again.  _\mm/_

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
I will go on record right now and say that, excluding KU, our defense will allow more than 14 points every single game the rest of the regular season.

Duggan had a qbr of 44.1 and Downing had a qbr of 0.3, not a typo or a BAL, I'll also guarantee that every non KU team we play won't have two quarterbacks play that poorly. To put that 44.1 and 0.3 in perspective, Howard had a 72.8.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
I expect our offense to also be more effective moving forward. Howard is much better than I expected him to be. He's a true freshman who had the COVID offseason to prepare for this season. I think we are likely to see a lot of improvement week to week.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
Also don't forget our OL is also really inexperienced and has been getting better. Doesn't inspire a ton of confidence with a true frosh qb but there is still a lot of room for improvement that would really help Will.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »
He reminds me of Bazooka Joe, who started out fine but just never improved like at all. If Howard is a quick study he’ll do fine this year I think.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »
Except Bazooka Joe had Snyder and Howard has Klieman.  Klieman already has a better resume on QB development. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »

I don't think the QBs of any of those five teams will play close to as poorly as Duggan played on Saturday.

That probably is true, but I don't think we'll stagnate, I was pretty critical of our o-line, and while they still aren't great, they are significantly better, and IMO Will had an ok game, and if he's worth anything he'll improve. I don't expect us to hold teams to 14 points, and I don't expect our offense only score 14 points save like osu and maybe texas.

I like that he has the bye week and ku after to help really get him integrated. Plus the TCU game under his belt. I think he'll end up being serviceable.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
We'll beat KU and Baylor, and likely WVU. OSU will probably be a loss now without Skylar. ISU is a toss up.

I actually like our chances against Texas. That'll be the last game of the year, Herman will have been canned, and the UT team will just be wanting to go home.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »
I will go on record right now and say that, excluding KU, our defense will allow more than 14 points every single game the rest of the regular season.

Duggan had a qbr of 44.1 and Downing had a qbr of 0.3, not a typo or a BAL, I'll also guarantee that every non KU team we play won't have two quarterbacks play that poorly. To put that 44.1 and 0.3 in perspective, Howard had a 72.8.

i'm showing Duggan had a rating of 103.0 and Howard 83.3.  either way, that's a qb with some experience that was clearly rattled.  won't happen every game, but there's not any great qb's in this league, so i think our defense will take some pressure off of Howard. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »
this team has issues but howard at QB isn't one of them

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2020, 02:26:51 PM »
Except Bazooka Joe had Snyder and Howard has Klieman.  Klieman already has a better resume on QB development.

And Bazooka Joe was super old

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

i'm showing Duggan had a rating of 103.0 and Howard 83.3.  either way, that's a qb with some experience that was clearly rattled.  won't happen every game, but there's not any great qb's in this league, so i think our defense will take some pressure off of Howard.

Those are passer ratings

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »
If our defensive guys keep smashing opposing QBs in the ribs, I think a lot of them will do crappy against us.

It will also be interesting to see if a “TCU” effect begins to occur for our opponents the following week. We hit hard and tough people up. A lot of guys aren’t used to that these days.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2020, 04:57:49 PM »
I'd O/U us at 3.5 more wins over the rest of the season.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »
Howard is going to struggle at times and make a few bonehead plays, but the dude is a winner.

13-2 last year, district title (first in 14 years), and a trip to the semi-finals. He's 16 for 32, 314 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT in 1.5 games this year. Small sample size, but that ain't bad for getting thrown in on short notice. He probably had less than 50 live snaps with the first team in practice until the week leading up to the TCU game when the coaching staff knew Thompson was done. TCU corners are aggressive and our wideouts were not doing Howard any favors getting open or catching the ball. I expect two weeks of practice and a nice game against KU will get his mojo and confidence up. Howard will prove he is the future this season.

All bets are off if we try to turn him into a battering ram. That nonsense needs to stop.