Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 110838 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
the offenses in today’s big 12 demand for a qb to be able to take a hittin and keep on tickin
what else can you do, play 2 hand touch?

imo sky will be back under center next week ready to command his troops to wildcat victory formation

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
If Thompson wants to play and can play, he absolutely should.  Wherever Howard may end up, Thompson is lightyears ahead of Will Howard right now, and, right now, we're sitting at the top of the standings.  We can do some really nice things this year.  Putting together something like a 6-4; 7-3 type season would be GREAT for the program (and obviously anything better would be that much better).  Turtling and "playing for the future" by starting a freshman would be stupid, given how much better Skylar has been so far this year, in a season that's still very much "in play" for goodness/greatness. 

Plus, I don't think it's always true that starting a true freshman QB is good for that QBs long term development.  I think there's a lot of value to be had for Howard to get in there, learn the offense (generally) and bend bars, rather than "taking his lumps."

Howard has a bright future regardless of whether he starts the rest of the season. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
I expect Will to have a very nice game against TCU. He will have a whole week of practice with the first team and that should build confidence both in him and in the coaching staff.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
Yeah. Agreed.  He didn’t come out and look like a superstar right away, our best hope is for Skylar to come back soon.
:adios:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
I think the question comes down to Will Howard?  Or Won't Howard?  Too early to tell imo.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
Early signs point to Will.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
how's his scrambling ability? i missed most of the 2nd half.
get out the sundial for his 40

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
He just needs to pound the stone a little harder on his speed training.  Stack sprints on sprints on sprints.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2020, 11:09:39 AM »
If Thompson wants to play and can play, he absolutely should.  Wherever Howard may end up, Thompson is lightyears ahead of Will Howard right now, and, right now, we're sitting at the top of the standings.  We can do some really nice things this year.  Putting together something like a 6-4; 7-3 type season would be GREAT for the program (and obviously anything better would be that much better).  Turtling and "playing for the future" by starting a freshman would be stupid, given how much better Skylar has been so far this year, in a season that's still very much "in play" for goodness/greatness. 

Plus, I don't think it's always true that starting a true freshman QB is good for that QBs long term development.  I think there's a lot of value to be had for Howard to get in there, learn the offense (generally) and bend bars, rather than "taking his lumps."

Howard has a bright future regardless of whether he starts the rest of the season. 

I can't imagine anyone wanting to start Howard assuming Skylar's healthy but I also don't think Skylar is an above average quarterback. He's perfectly serviceable. And that's OK too!

I also think Howard can be just as good if not better and the reps he's getting now will be good for him!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »
Also aren’t we just Belichek’ng opposing teams by saying Skylar might be back? His arm looked wrecked on Saturday.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
It looks like he turned down a bunch of Ivy League schools to go to Kansas State. That may mean he's smart or not smart.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »

I can't imagine anyone wanting to start Howard assuming Skylar's healthy but I also don't think Skylar is an above average quarterback. He's perfectly serviceable. And that's OK too!

I also think Howard can be just as good if not better and the reps he's getting now will be good for him!

Skylar is absolutely above average, college football is filled with trash quarterbacks. PFF loves him.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2020, 12:34:53 PM »
whether he is or isn't above average doesn't matter, he's the best fit right now in this offense if healthy

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »

Skylar is absolutely above average, college football is filled with trash quarterbacks. PFF loves him.
Yes.  I've described Skylar as "seviceable" in the past (which I think is better than "average").  He's played good-great this year though, and our team would be considerably worse without him.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Yeah Sky has seemed very good to me. If he was 100% healthy there’s not many Big 12 QB’s I’d trade him for. Definitely not OU’s INT machine rattling gun.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »
Consistency has always been Skylar's bugaboo (not sure if I used that word right).  But he's definitely been more up than down this season and last.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2020, 01:03:03 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/view/offense/season/2019/group/4/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

:dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
The whole "if Skylar's healthy" talking point it moot because he's not. This is Will Howard's job for at least the next week or two, and hopefully he plays well enough to earn the job full time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/view/offense/season/2019/group/4/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

That's passer rating and it's from last season. Seems unfair to take away a massive advantage that he has, no? Why didn't you sort by QBR instead of passer rating? His QBR was 37th nationally last year and 18th this year.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »
The whole "if Skylar's healthy" talking point it moot because he's not. This is Will Howard's job for at least the next week or two, and hopefully he plays well enough to earn the job full time.

You know something? KSO is having a good old fashioned source off with everything from returning to practice tomorrow to out for the season. I can't imagine that anyone would have anything definitive before this morning at the absolute earliest.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »

That's passer rating and it's from last season. Seems unfair to take away a massive advantage that he has, no? Why didn't you sort by QBR instead of passer rating? His QBR was 37th nationally last year and 18th this year.

I mean he's 5th in the Big 12 this year and was 5th last year. There are 10 teams so that puts him...just about middle of the pack among starters. :dunno:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
Here's the deal, at the end of the day it is what it is.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »

I mean he's 5th in the Big 12 this year and was 5th last year. There are 10 teams so that puts him...just about middle of the pack among starters. :dunno:

This is a master class in not admitting you were wrong, which is surprising for you. 5th in the conference, okay. The Big 12 has been known for having the best offenses in the country. 37th out of 122 nor is 18th of 76 considered average. Come on man, he's above players considered sure NFL draft picks on both lists.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »

This is a master class in not admitting you were wrong, which is surprising for you. 5th in the conference, okay. The Big 12 has been known for having the best offenses in the country. 37th out of 122 nor is 18th of 76 considered average. Come on man, he's above players considered sure NFL draft picks on both lists.

I'll concede he's above average across college football and an average starting Big 12 QB. I can't believe that's controversial but won't argue it any more.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »

I'll concede he's above average across college football and an average starting Big 12 QB. I can't believe that's controversial but won't argue it any more.

Accurate! Like I said, there are a lot of trash quarterbacks in college football. You know what conference has sneaky poop QB play? SEC SEC SEC