Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 110834 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
How good is Will Howard???
« on: October 04, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
My verdict?

NOT BAD!!!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »
how's his scrambling ability? i missed most of the 2nd half.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
I thought he did a great job under the circumstances.  Wasn’t perfect, but he really didn’t make any bad mistakes.  Put the balls in catchable spots.  The Weber and Deuce back to back drops weren’t perfect throws, but both should have been caught.  Needs to keep his eyes downfield on scrambles, but that’s to be expected at his age.

He’s less mobile than I expected, but he seems like he could be a Klein-esque bruiser with some more time. 

Right now, he’s nowhere near as good as Skylar.  Encouraged about his future. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
I thought he did a great job under the circumstances.  Wasn’t perfect, but he really didn’t make any bad mistakes.  Put the balls in catchable spots.  The Weber and Deuce back to back drops weren’t perfect throws, but both should have been caught.  Needs to keep his eyes downfield on scrambles, but that’s to be expected at his age.

He’s less mobile than I expected, but he seems like he could be a Klein-esque bruiser with some more time. 

Right now, he’s nowhere near as good as Skylar.  Encouraged about his future. 

agree with all of that! Most kids who are 6-4 230 at age 18 or 19 probably aren't going to super nimble.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
I'm glad we have Howard, but I will also say that I suspect that Jake Rubley and all of his closest advisors and friends are NOT worried.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
I'm glad we have Howard, but I will also say that I suspect that Jake Rubley and all of his closest advisors and friends are NOT worried.

Well I've seen Rubley and I'm not convinced he's better that Howard. Rubley probably has a better arm and is definitely more athletic, but watching him play against 4A Iowa football players who have Drake or D3 football as their limit, he hasn't been overwhelming. I didn't watch Howard last year but I read a ton about him and he was the best player in his conference and his region.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
Howard played well, didn't make any huge freshman mistakes that killed us. Depending on how long Skylar is out it will be interesting to see how well he does after practicing with the 1's all week and having a game plan built for him.

I am already excited for the QB Competition next year between Howard and Rubley.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
I never thought I’d say this, but I’m not convinced either would be a better option than another year of a healthy Thompson in 2021. He’ll always have arm limitations, but his running ability makes up for a lot of that, and is arguably more important for Mess’s offense in the B12. His pocket presence this season has been night and day compared to before, and that was my biggest qualm with him thru 2019.

Howard seems really confident for a true frosh, and has a hell of an arm, but like all you guys have said, basically has cement shoes. I’ll take MIR’s word for it on Rubley’s performance in IA high school football. Maybe he’s playing down, and will be a total stud out of the gate tho.

Note: Best option for 2021 doesn’t necessarily mean best option for program going forward... but it might!

Other note: prob all moot cuz Skylar prob isn’t coming back
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:49:11 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »

Well I've seen Rubley and I'm not convinced he's better that Howard. Rubley probably has a better arm and is definitely more athletic, but watching him play against 4A Iowa football players who have Drake or D3 football as their limit, he hasn't been overwhelming. I didn't watch Howard last year but I read a ton about him and he was the best player in his conference and his region.

Better arm and more athletic, I’m sold.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »
I would think rubles has to have a better arm in terms of strength. Howard looked fine but his release looked weird and he looked way less natural throwing it then the tech backup did.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
I would think rubles has to have a better arm in terms of strength. Howard looked fine but his release looked weird and he looked way less natural throwing it then the tech backup did.
To be fair the Tech backup is a redshirt junior

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »
I was decently impressed. He has a lot of poise and made some big time throws (even if shorter throws) in big 3rd down situations. He only had 1 questionable decision on a sideline throw but had the foresight to overthrow everyone, I think if he was trying to do what he wanted to do it'd been a pick.

Overall, a pretty good performance for the situation. Agreed he's fairly lethargic moving, he looked in slow mo on a few attempts to escape the pocket. He's definitely pretty serviceable and should improve with getting more snaps. He had that one throw to Duece where Duece got hung out to dry (but he caught it cause Duece is amazing) but I was surprised he made the throw in that it was in traffic, that is some balls.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »

You'd take Allen Webb and Dylan Meyer over any QB we've had since Freeman minus Sams?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »
I never thought I’d say this, but I’m not convinced either would be a better option than another year of a healthy Thompson in 2021. He’ll always have arm limitations, but his running ability makes up for a lot of that, and is arguably more important for Mess’s offense in the B12. His pocket presence this season has been night and day compared to before, and that was my biggest qualm with him thru 2019.

Howard seems really confident for a true frosh, and has a hell of an arm, but like all you guys have said, basically has cement shoes. I’ll take MIR’s word for it on Rubley’s performance in IA high school football. Maybe he’s playing down, and will be a total stud out of the gate tho.

Note: Best option for 2021 doesn’t necessarily mean best option for program going forward... but it might!

Skylar would 100% be the best QB on the roster next year but getting a 6th year out of the most brutalized QB in Kansas State football history is probably a bit selfish.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »
Yup.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »

Skylar would 100% be the best QB on the roster next year but getting a 6th year out of the most brutalized QB in Kansas State football history is probably a bit selfish.

Nobody was talking about Grant Gregory ITT

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »

He got hurt once and played through it, Skylar is in his fifth year of getting the crap beat out of him.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »

He got hurt once and played through it, Skylar is in his fifth year of getting the crap beat out of him.

Both physically and emotionally. He may go down as the most under appreciated good Cat athlete oat. I’ve been guilty myself.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »

This is why I pay for this blog.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »

You'd take Allen Webb and Dylan Meyer over any QB we've had since Freeman minus Sams?

What could have happened if Meier didn’t have his shoulder destroyed is my #2 what-if after Cody Lee Smith. I knew a bunch of people that played against Meier in HS, including from 2 different schools that played him in the 5A championship game and all said he was by far the best offensive player they played that year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »

What could have happened if Meier didn’t have his shoulder destroyed is my #2 what-if after Cody Lee Smith. I knew a bunch of people that played against Meier in HS, including from 2 different schools that played him in the 5A championship game and all said he was by far the best offensive player they played that year.

Not surprising. He never got credit for as good of an athlete he was, doesn't translate you an effective P5 QB tho

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
I’m choosing to believe Jake will take a different path than Dylan
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »

Oh man. A Cody Lee Smith callback!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
I’m choosing to believe Jake will take a different path than Dylan

God Damnit.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
I didn’t see anything out of Howard that makes me think he could carry this team to a win if needed.  His two biggest plays were pretty easy passes to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk