Author Topic: KSU should no longer play football (2020)  (Read 16045 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU should no longer play football (2020)
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »
Not saying it's why we lost, but, goodness, name another team that plays its backups for 50% of the time on defense in a highly contested game. Playing/rotating lots of guys is fine (particularly on the DL), but when you rotate in/out the entire front seven... it was like watching NHL lineup changes.
Everyone this season

Meh - other teams are proving this talking point to be incorrect.

And, as far as positioning this season as "meaningless" (responding to others) that's ridiculous. It certainly isn't to the players on the field. And, you could actually make the case that this is as good a chance as ever that a team like K-State "could" actually make the playoffs (of course, it certainly won't happen now).

What? Playoffs? First of all, we don't even know if there's going to be any playoffs. Even if we did, having a team make it that didn't even sniff the preseason top 25, I think one vote in either poll, is a ridiculous notion. The only way you rationalized that in your head was because this is a season of a bunch of wild, unforseen crap happening, which is a perfect argument against freaking out when something wild and unforseen happens. Yes, some other teams have looked good after one damn week, who's to say that they won't look like total dogshit the next game?

This season is the ultimate house money season for almost every single team playing, including completely crap teams like KU, Vandy, and Syracuse. The only teams that have any expectations at all are like the 10-15 best teams, everyone else should just prepare for weird crap to happen, especially the first few games. I'm going to choose to celebrate the fun stuff and DNGAF about the bad. I don't think anyone believes that this team won't be better next year, no matter what they do this year.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
This team will not be good at football until it starts running quarterback draws and option plays.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:57 PM »
Not saying it's why we lost, but, goodness, name another team that plays its backups for 50% of the time on defense in a highly contested game. Playing/rotating lots of guys is fine (particularly on the DL), but when you rotate in/out the entire front seven... it was like watching NHL lineup changes.
Everyone this season

And, as far as positioning this season as "meaningless" (responding to others) that's ridiculous. It certainly isn't to the players on the field. And, you could actually make the case that this is as good a chance as ever that a team like K-State "could" actually make the playoffs (of course, it certainly won't happen now).

What? Playoffs? First of all, we don't even know if there's going to be any playoffs. Even if we did, having a team make it that didn't even sniff the preseason top 25, I think one vote in either poll, is a ridiculous notion. The only way you rationalized that in your head was because this is a season of a bunch of wild, unforseen crap happening, which is a perfect argument against freaking out when something wild and unforseen happens. Yes, some other teams have looked good after one damn week, who's to say that they won't look like total dogshit the next game?

This season is the ultimate house money season for almost every single team playing, including completely crap teams like KU, Vandy, and Syracuse. The only teams that have any expectations at all are like the 10-15 best teams, everyone else should just prepare for weird crap to happen, especially the first few games. I'm going to choose to celebrate the fun stuff and DNGAF about the bad. I don't think anyone believes that this team won't be better next year, no matter what they do this year.

Nobody thinks/thought K-State in the playoffs was likely to happen. Just saying that in the reality of college football (where, normally, a non-elite program wins a title every 20 years), THIS is/was the best year/opportunity for a non-elite program to make the playoffs/win a title, particularly given all the unknowns/potential issues of this season.

Regardless, here we are, making excuses for losing at home to a good Sun Belt team that just got throttled by a good AAC team.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
What's the last "non-elite" program to win a natty? Washington 91 or Dabo's first?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
OU scored on their first 7 drives then only scored 7 points the rest of the game against a really bad FCS team. Should their fans be freaking out more or less than we are? Those backups are going to have to play big minutes in conference play.

Same for UT, scored their first 7 possessions, but have stalled out since.

Texas Tech has a 1 point lead against Houston Baptist? who? with 2 minutes left in the third quarter.

Three other conference schools have COVID delays

Long story short, there's a lot of weird crap going on, I'll save my freakouts for 2021.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2020, 09:56:27 PM »
What's the last "non-elite" program to win a natty? Washington 91 or Dabo's first?

If you're going back to Washington you gotta count Georgia Tech and Colorado, but that's it the last 30 years.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 10:03:46 PM »

If you're going back to Washington you gotta count Georgia Tech and Colorado, but that's it the last 30 years.

Certainly subjective, but Washington and Clemson could qualify. If not either of either of those, Colorado/Ga Tech in 1990 as MIR said. Before that, BYU in 1984. Before that, Pittsburgh in 1976.

Bottom line (and stating the obvious) - the rate of non-traditional powerhouses winning national titles in college football is very, very low in the last 50-60 years (certainly compared to other sports, all of which, have a true tournament to determine the champion).

Back to the modern era - K-State shouldn't lose to Arkansas State and anything suggesting otherwise is a silly excuse.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »

Well those were before washington

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »

Certainly subjective, but Washington and Clemson could qualify. If not either of either of those, Colorado/Ga Tech in 1990 as MIR said. Before that, BYU in 1984. Before that, Pittsburgh in 1976.

Bottom line (and stating the obvious) - the rate of non-traditional powerhouses winning national titles in college football is very, very low in the last 50-60 years (certainly compared to other sports, all of which, have a true tournament to determine the champion).

Back to the modern era - K-State shouldn't lose to Arkansas State and anything suggesting otherwise is a silly excuse.

Nobody thinks K-State should lose to Arkansas State, it's just not that big of a deal. They aren't horrible, crap happens.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2020, 10:38:45 PM »
OU scored on their first 7 drives then only scored 7 points the rest of the game against a really bad FCS team. Should their fans be freaking out more or less than we are? Those backups are going to have to play big minutes in conference play.

Texas Tech has a 1 point lead against Houston Baptist? who? with 2 minutes left in the third quarter.

Long story short, there's a lot of weird crap going on, I'll save my freakouts for 2021.

2021 will be as bad or worse than this team I think.  Lose both senior linebackers,  2/3 best corners , Hubert probably goes to NFL, QB will either be a redshirt freshman or true freshman.  Our RB situation can’t get any worse I guess but even if Will Swanson is the crap he won’t be as good as Briley Moore is now at TE.  The 2021 class is shaping up to be really solid and 2022 looks promising too but the product on the field the next few years is going to be rough.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »

2021 will be as bad or worse than this team I think.  Lose both senior linebackers,  2/3 best corners , Hubert probably goes to NFL, QB will either be a redshirt freshman or true freshman.  Our RB situation can’t get any worse I guess but even if Will Swanson is the crap he won’t be as good as Briley Moore is now at TE.  The 2021 class is shaping up to be really solid and 2022 looks promising too but the product on the field the next few years is going to be rough.

QB will be just as good if not better, sorry wackycat. The lines will be better, the skill positions will be better. I don't know what Briley Moore's draft prospects are along with Hubert, haven't seen either of them being mentioned in that way, but they both could be back.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Everyone this season

Nobody thinks/thought K-State in the playoffs was likely to happen. Just saying that in the reality of college football (where, normally, a non-elite program wins a title every 20 years), THIS is/was the best year/opportunity for a non-elite program to make the playoffs/win a title, particularly given all the unknowns/potential issues of this season.

Regardless, here we are, making excuses for losing at home to a good Sun Belt team that just got throttled by a good AAC team.

I think the AAC is the new Big East and on the verge of becoming a power conference.  Look at all the air time this conference gets.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2020, 10:53:24 PM »
After doing some other Big 12 scouting tonight the good news is we can probably hang with just about all of them. SEC got it right yet again. Skip all the noncons so there’s no risk of embarrassment.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2020, 10:56:26 PM »
Everyone this season

I think the AAC is the new Big East and on the verge of becoming a power conference.  Look at all the air time this conference gets.

Indeed, wannabe AAC member Coastal Carolina destroying our bros 28-3 at half.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:12 PM »

I think there’s a good argument that the loss actually gave them an advantage. Just look at the 0-1 FCS 40 point underdog that barely lost at TTU.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2020, 11:01:10 PM »
This thread is hilarious. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2020, 11:07:41 PM »

QB will be just as good if not better, sorry wackycat. The lines will be better, the skill positions will be better. I don't know what Briley Moore's draft prospects are along with Hubert, haven't seen either of them being mentioned in that way, but they both could be back.

Elevated QB play would be a pleasant surprise but I just don’t see it for next year.  2022 and 2023 could be really good.  I like the long term outlook with Klieman, just need to suffer through a few more years of transition. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »

Elevated QB play would be a pleasant surprise but I just don’t see it for next year.  2022 and 2023 could be really good.  I like the long term outlook with Klieman, just need to suffer through a few more years of transition.

Well he did lose his DC just like Prince did after the first season.  We'll see how long he keeps his OC.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2020, 07:50:31 AM »
Memphis would have beat us by a bajillion yesterday.  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2020, 08:40:47 AM »
Dudes! We suck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
the thing that sticks with me the most was how badly we would have gotten slaughtered if not for their dumb mistakes. i mean, you take away the blocked punt, the fumble when its like 2nd and goal, and most crucially when it was 2nd and california and sky throws it away so its going to be 3rd and 33 but the ASU guy is like "lmao this is boring" and decides to get a roughing the passer. I mean seriously we should have lost by 3 scores. if you look at all the other stats besides the score, you would have thought we lost by 3 scores.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
All three of their starting LBs were out with dang Covid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
After doing some other Big 12 scouting tonight the good news is we can probably hang with just about all of them. SEC got it right yet again. Skip all the noncons so there’s no risk of embarrassment.

Very astute reputation protection by the SEC. Kings of CFB yet again.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
This team will not be good at football until it starts running quarterback draws and option plays.

Yes, and QB leads/power. Bill was crotchety old geezer at the end who didn’t recruit, but he never failed to put taking an offensive advantage over the head health of his quarterbacks.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2020, 02:44:08 PM »