Author Topic: KSU should no longer play football (2020)  (Read 15876 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: KSU should no longer play football (2020)
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 05:56:24 PM »
Super disappointing game obviously. We looked out of sync and lethargic.

O line is definitely the biggest culprit in this loss. Barely any push, and pretty pedestrian at doing anything remotely well. They are a massive work in progress. I thought last years o-line was fairly overrated, but boy after this game if we were even half as good as last year's o-line we'd walk away from this one with a comfortable W.

Secondary was a let down, they did not play with any confidence or pressure or swagger. They just kinda let it happen in front of them.

Defense got lucky to be bailed out by their equally bad kicker (sorry Lynch, but barf what a bad day for him) or miscues by their offense that had nothing to do with the defense.

Skylar was disappointing, but I am not that upset with him. He had to scramble too much due to the o-line, and sure, he had some pretty errant down the field throws, but even when he didn't, the WRs didn't help him out much (save Knowles awesome one handed catch). He's never going to be an amazing QB, but he's also not garbage. IMO plenty of other things went wrong besides him that kept us from winning, and in fact, I think his experience definitely saved us in a few instances. 

Deuce is going to fun to watch, and despite some pretty bad drops, the WR core is fun too. Moore is a great addition, and I don't care about the Skylar-Moore story, but they clearly work well and he had a good day.

Play calling needed to improve, not counting that two play drive to start the game for the TD, Messingham botched IMO the game plan early and went vertical too much as he tends to do, instead of doing the sweeps, bubble screen, slants, and other "dink and donk" crap that while boring (and after the crap show our o-line proved to be, was the only thing working) at least gets the offense into some sort of rhythm and settles everyone down, especially after such a disjointed offseason.

Finally the penalties, too many unforced ones. I don't think the game was at all poorly officiated, quite the contrary well done, we just simply made too many mistakes, and often on big plays that cost us. The only time we got bailed out was that roughing the passer on like 2nd an 33 or we the hell that was, and that was also a legit penalty. We played rough.

I guess this will be a write off year. The kids wanted to play, but they sure didn't act like it at times. They'll win some games, they'll probably settle at 5-5 or 4-6. At least we weren't as embarrassing as ISU (which truly lolz, but not as lolz if we had won)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 06:08:53 PM »
How many returning starts did we have on the ol? Of course they were gonna suck

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 06:18:36 PM »
The coach said that on the last play they tried to double team the WR that’s been killing them all day & an upperclassman S, backup or not, goes to double the inside guy and completely ignores the guy he was specifically told to double. That type of disorganization is concerning.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

Geez you think he could have strategically gotten SOMEONE some reps last year

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »

Geez you think he could have strategically gotten SOMEONE some reps last year

They got reps, Josh Rivas was 3rd team all Big 12, just no starts. I know nuance will make some people have a seizure but losing your center on the 2nd drive is something that a lot of programs would struggle with, that's without accounting for COVID and Snyder not recruiting worth a crap. We played a minimum of three centers today, that's not ideal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
I'll also add that for the last decade we've struggled with three man defensive fronts.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
I know I'm really not mad

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 06:48:14 PM »
I'll also add that for the last decade we've struggled with three man defensive fronts.

When they said Ark State was 3-3-5 I had flashbacks of WVU repeatedly goading Dimel into audibling into fly routes we’d complete less than 10% of the time.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
There is still a chance we might be good though. 

We have some tasty pieces.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 06:59:59 PM »
Yeah, future looks bright  :cool:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »

What the hell you looking at? We got some talent at the skill positions but we are hot garbage everywhere else.

rough ridin' team looked like crap. Outside of C. Taylor, I can't think of anyone who actually improved from last year.

Lastly, Sky can ride the bench for the rest of this worthless season. Let Howard see if he has what it takes. Sky has proved he is a limp wristed QB who pisses down his leg when it matters most time and time again. He is D. Meier 2.0

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
We hired North Dakota’s coach what did you expect
North Dakota’s back ups would’ve beaten that pud team you played. I don’t even remember  if it was ULALA or Arkansas St.
titletown..lulz

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
Not saying it's why we lost, but, goodness, name another team that plays its backups for 50% of the time on defense in a highly contested game. Playing/rotating lots of guys is fine (particularly on the DL), but when you rotate in/out the entire front seven... it was like watching NHL lineup changes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 08:20:39 PM »

What the hell you looking at? We got some talent at the skill positions but we are hot garbage everywhere else.

rough ridin' team looked like crap. Outside of C. Taylor, I can't think of anyone who actually improved from last year.

Lastly, Sky can ride the bench for the rest of this worthless season. Let Howard see if he has what it takes. Sky has proved he is a limp wristed QB who pisses down his leg when it matters most time and time again. He is D. Meier 2.0

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xzpndHtdl9A[/youtube]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
I know I'm really not mad

I know, friend.

Not saying it's why we lost, but, goodness, name another team that plays its backups for 50% of the time on defense in a highly contested game. Playing/rotating lots of guys is fine (particularly on the DL), but when you rotate in/out the entire front seven... it was like watching NHL lineup changes.

It was the most insignificant game of the most insignificant college football season of all time. The conditioning of these guys is horrawful. After the Monday COVID tests there was real concern that we could even field a team.Given all of this, not playing lots of players would be malpractice. Unfortunately we spent literally the entirety of the second and third quarter making a mistake on seemingly every play, making the game close so we just couldn't pull the starters late. I wouldn't take anything away from any of this.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
Everyone this season

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »
Getting 35 put on you at home by Arkie State is unforgivable.  Our personnel on D is way too good for that to happen. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »
How long has it actually been since we won these sorts of noncon games like 55-10?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »
How long has it actually been since we won these sorts of noncon games like 55-10?
Last season vs Charlotte?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
Getting 35 put on you at home by Arkie State is unforgivable.  Our personnel on D is way too good for that to happen.
I've forgiven them

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »

Meh, their offense is good. The QBs are crap, but that receiver is a rough ridin' boss. It certainly wasn't good but crap happens. I thought the linebackers and the rush ends were good, everything else on D wasn't. The fifty billion mistakes are what I felt was terrible but that can be corrected. Hopefully it was just rust and not a lack of focus and discipline, which was were issues last year.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »
Last season vs Charlotte?

I meant won against a team whose name you could even remember.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2020, 09:17:11 PM »
Everyone this season

Meh - other teams are proving this talking point to be incorrect.

And, as far as positioning this season as "meaningless" (responding to others) that's ridiculous. It certainly isn't to the players on the field. And, you could actually make the case that this is as good a chance as ever that a team like K-State "could" actually make the playoffs (of course, it certainly won't happen now). 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2020, 09:23:28 PM »
LOL at thinking we might have had a shot at the playoffs (even before today)