Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33756 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:34:18 PM »
lil sd is 7 and plays baseball and is kind of good. he has competitive travel tryouts and if he gets in we have to commit just an incredible amount of time every week/all year to it and travel all over the place and he's 7 and just started 2nd grade (wtf). I played all the sports but I lived in a town of 1,400 people so fielding a full roster was the biggest challenge and we played only as many games as the white trash kids drunk dad could schedule us outside of regular school sports. this actual city stuff seems crazy. but he loves TF out of baseball suddenly (like ONLY last 4 months). the last thing I'm going to do is keep him from doing it if he wants to so we're all in no matter what. how do people deal with this? do you seriously commit a 7 year old to that amount of time/effort to one sport?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
No.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 11:03:05 PM »
lil sd is 7 and plays baseball and is kind of good. he has competitive travel tryouts and if he gets in we have to commit just an incredible amount of time every week/all year to it and travel all over the place and he's 7 and just started 2nd grade (wtf). I played all the sports but I lived in a town of 1,400 people so fielding a full roster was the biggest challenge and we played only as many games as the white trash kids drunk dad could schedule us outside of regular school sports. this actual city stuff seems crazy. but he loves TF out of baseball suddenly (like ONLY last 4 months). the last thing I'm going to do is keep him from doing it if he wants to so we're all in no matter what. how do people deal with this? do you seriously commit a 7 year old to that amount of time/effort to one sport?

I mean if you like your kid and hanging out with him and you like baseball as well then it’s honestly probably a pretty great deal.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
I have a friend who does. I think it’s crazy and he is living vicariously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 11:16:53 PM »
Baseball academies/clubs are just trying to tie up your money in them. Capitalism and all. But if you want a great little league player, that’s the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 11:24:58 PM »
Does he like other sports? At 7, I'd encourage you/him to try everything in the least competitive/funnest way possible. Don't stress about being "left behind" as long as he's having fun. Just my $.02, but you'll be good with whatever.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »
Does he like other sports? At 7, I'd encourage you/him to try everything in the least competitive/funnest way possible. Don't stress about being "left behind" as long as he's having fun. Just my $.02, but you'll be good with whatever.
Also just one sport at a time if possible

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »
My kid has been going to competitive cheer practices 6 days a week since 2nd grade. Overall, it's been a great experience for her but it's been a big pain in the ass for me. And it's very expensive.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »
My kid has been going to competitive cheer practices 6 days a week since 2nd grade. Overall, it's been a great experience for her but it's been a big pain in the ass for me. And it's very expensive.

my 4 year old is in "dance" and I can see this in my future. this is all just baffling to me as a cow farm raised person.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 08:40:59 AM »

my 4 year old is in "dance" and I can see this in my future. this is all just baffling to me as a cow farm raised person.
One of our daughters was asked to try out for the competitive dance troupe after a year of classes when she was like 5 and we just didn't tell her because we didn't want to pay the money or deal with competitive dance culture. We had her drop dance completely and just kept her busy with something else and she's happy.

We have friends with a daughter who was in the same class and is in "elite" ballet and she's like wanting to be privately home schooled for half of high school so she can do the ballet 24/7

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
I'd try and hold out for a couple more years until lil sd jr is at least in 4th or 5th grade, 7 seems pretty young.

I never played travel ball but some of my friends did and they all grew to hate baseball, most quit playing by their senior year of HS.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
I never thought there was much ROI in youth baseball.  You spend more time and money on it than anything else and it is boring af. 
Also not great if you have delusions of "paying for your education" The local super stud that had all the accolades you would ever want ended up at Cowley County.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »

I never thought there was much ROI in youth baseball.  You spend more time and money on it than anything else and it is boring af. 
Also not great if you have delusions of "paying for your education" The local super stud that had all the accolades you would ever want ended up at Cowley County.

There is no ROI in youth sports or kids in general

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
As long as your kid doesn't know how good he is, then you are probably good to delay.  Once he gets old enough to recognize that he is better than most the other kids, holding him back from playing in leagues that are more competitive might create some resentment later in life.  Just speaking from experience...

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »
What does the practice schedule, season and travel schedule look like?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »
soccer practice 3 nights a week and games sat/sun or both each week for my daughter.  also plays basketball, wants to play volleyball.  didn't like softball.  also has done dance/gymnastics, likes but not currently doing thank the Good Lord.  she just turned 8.  i'm into soccer now so i don't mind it at all.  biggest thing is make sure they truly enjoy it, and not having douche parents on your team, then it's pretty enjoyable.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »

My first sentence speaks to the never ending stream of time and money for equipment, travel, team memberships, tourney and coaching fees vs. the enjoyment of watching said sporting event.  Even high school teams are pretty shitty.

I think everyone understands that having children does represent a net inflow of cash.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »

My first sentence speaks to the never ending stream of time and money for equipment, travel, team memberships, tourney and coaching fees vs. the enjoyment of watching said sporting event.  Even high school teams are pretty shitty.

I think everyone understands that having children does represent a net inflow of cash.

:thumbs: that's fair

I think the worst ROI when you factor in enjoyment that I know of is our ballet friend because like the only performances are the Nutcracker with the SF ballet and they have to pay like normal SF Ballet prices for them.

I went one year and she was a rat so I couldn't even tell where she was.

I've also sat through some unbearably shitty musical theater productions.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »

I mean, if your kids youth sports are somehow about your enjoyment rather than theirs, its pretty obvious there are going to be issues...
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »
I love the crap out of watching my kids. I hear other parents complain that it is boring and must acknowledge that maybe their kids are not as awesome as mine.

In my experience, kids don't normally stick with something for very long. And when they do, and there's a big time commitment, being part of that little community of kids and parents can be fun. (And I'm not even a super social person and still kinda keep some distance.) There are a lot of really great people out there!

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »

I mean, if your kids youth sports are somehow about your enjoyment rather than theirs, its pretty obvious there are going to be issues...
It's all factored in, chief.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »

What’s all factored in, pal?
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=should+kids+play+one+sport+or+multiple

yeah pretty much every kid would be better off playing multiple sports for their health, enjoyment, and overall athletic development.

I love the crap out of watching my kids. I hear other parents complain that it is boring and must acknowledge that maybe their kids are not as awesome as mine.

In my experience, kids don't normally stick with something for very long. And when they do, and there's a big time commitment, being part of that little community of kids and parents can be fun. (And I'm not even a super social person and still kinda keep some distance.) There are a lot of really great people out there!

agreed but swim meets are still pretty boring because it's mostly sitting around. But I like just reading a book for an afternoon!

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »

What’s all factored in, pal?
The enjoyment side of the equation, amigo.

I forgot to mention the games are played through the heat of the summer.  If you are in a tourney you get to have a double header and get and play as soon as it is light and then again at 3 when it's 108°.  Who signs up for this?