Author Topic: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)  (Read 21491 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)
« Reply #300 on: October 28, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »
I've had it with suburban moms and their behavior towards in person learning. The people with the most privilege are the most vocal against even hybrid learning. It's stunning how much these people hate spending time with their children.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
I've had it with suburban moms and their behavior towards in person learning. The people with the most privilege are the most vocal against even hybrid learning. It's stunning how much these people hate spending time with their children.

it's crazy how different things are out here. Our county of like 1.7 million people that includes all of Oakland has a new daily infection rate about 15% of the infection rate of Linn and Polk counties in Iowa. Wealthy suburban moms are terrified of even the 4 hour per week hybrid and trying to figure out how to opt out. Other than the mom who shared that her kid is in therapy and had to go to the ER there aren't people going crazy to get kids back into school. These are very very privileged people.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 29, 2020, 05:20:47 AM »

it's crazy how different things are out here. Our county of like 1.7 million people that includes all of Oakland has a new daily infection rate about 15% of the infection rate of Linn and Polk counties in Iowa. Wealthy suburban moms are terrified of even the 4 hour per week hybrid and trying to figure out how to opt out. Other than the mom who shared that her kid is in therapy and had to go to the ER there aren't people going crazy to get kids back into school. These are very very privileged people.

It's the total opposite here, there isn't a week that has gone by since August without some suburban school district being protested or forced to take a vote to eliminate their hybrid model. A couple of weeks ago there is a woman who went on camera and admitted that she and her husband own a business they run from home. She intentionally took her kids to their suburban school on a day that wasn't their day and told the school the kids are their responsibility now. Not only did this woman have the audacity (caucacity) to do this, she called a news station to tell them she did it. The school did nothing, they took the kids, the news station ran the story, then she started a Facebook group for other mothers in this district, Southeast Polk, to pressure the school to drop the hybrid model. The group has a thousand members.

I found one of the stories about this bad person.
https://who13.com/news/southeast-polk-mom-vows-to-take-a-stand-drops-kids-off-at-school-on-virtual-learning-days/

eff her for claiming her family can't financially afford to continue hybrid learning. We have become such a selfish society, it's hopeless.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 29, 2020, 06:04:53 AM »
The Olathe parents in favor of in person learning Facebook group have turned into full blown masks don’t work, the unions are pulling the strings trying to keep kids out of schools maga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a similar group in DeSoto?
I doubt it. There’s probably a let them play group but I think desoto has been going full on everything since the beginning.

Olathe opened hybrid/remote and is now hybrid. Elementary is open.

Joco cases have spiked though 273 cases in the last two weeks which might be a record. % positive is 8.4 under new formula that counts multiple negatives. Old formula that didn’t count multiple negatives is about 15% I believe.

My wife coaches bball and they have been told seasons are full go no matter what.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »

The prospect that they might have to actually stay at home versus gym/nails/hair/Von Maur has really revealed that stay at home moms weren't staying at home for crap and don't want to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 29, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

The prospect that they might have to actually stay at home versus gym/nails/hair/Von Maur has really revealed that stay at home moms weren't staying at home for crap and don't want to.

Obviously the dads are complicit too, but at least here, it's the moms always on television and in the newspaper showing their asses.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:22:08 AM by MakeItRain »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 11, 2020, 11:47:36 PM »
Three Iowa teachers have died in less than a week. The latest was a 37 year old man who died three days after his diagnosis. His only reported symptom before his diagnosis was a slight headache. His family said he had no underlying health conditions.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:47 PM »
Terrifying and sad

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2020, 08:14:00 AM »

Obviously the dads are complicit too, but at least here, it's the moms always on television and in the newspaper showing their asses.

The moms are the worst and loudest, the loud dads are just super maga libertarians

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
Our school just called the entire week of Thanksgiving so people could quarantine before doing their ill advised family gatherings. IMO they should have called the week after to let the inevitable cases shake out. Either way though I doubt ours go back in person after thanksgiving given the case/hospitalization/death trends.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Our school just called the entire week of Thanksgiving so people could quarantine before doing their ill advised family gatherings. IMO they should have called the week after to let the inevitable cases shake out. Either way though I doubt ours go back in person after thanksgiving given the case/hospitalization/death trends.

I mean it's not exactly their area of expertise, but I don't think schools are very good at this. That seems like a crazy plan/idea. If anything they should be encouraging people to not have family gatherings.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »
I don't think it would go over really well if the grade school told families not to get together for thanksgiving

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »
I don't think it would go over really well if the grade school told families not to get together for thanksgiving
Yeah like I said it's not their job, they shouldn't have to make any public health calls without pointing to clear guidelines from health experts. Maybe they are leaning on experts but regardless you're probably right that most suburban Omaha families will do whatever the hell they want no matter who discourages large gatherings.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
Symptomatic offspring of barefacing MAGA types who have confirmed infections have been spotted in my kids' schools.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
One of my daughter's best friend's tested positive on Tuesday so my daughter is home until after Thanksgiving.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »
Our school just called the entire week of Thanksgiving so people could quarantine before doing their ill advised family gatherings.

good idea, imo, probably will save lives.

would have been great to hand out rapid at-home antigen tests too, but those probably still aren't available (haven't really kept track).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
Our school just called the entire week of Thanksgiving so people could quarantine before doing their ill advised family gatherings.

good idea, imo, probably will save lives.

would have been great to hand out rapid at-home antigen tests too, but those probably still aren't available (haven't really kept track).

it is a thoughtful gesture but those families are just going to grandma's early

this is MY hyvee

:sdeek:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
it is a thoughtful gesture but those families are just going to grandma's early

can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
very true

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
i'm happy to hear manhattan schools aren't reporting widespread transmission.
2 days a week with small class sizes and the rest remote.

They just said they are going back 5 days a week in January, probably just in time for my district to be fully remote at the rate we are going with cases and quarantines.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 12, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
Joco health has all but said schools are not spreading but the community spread is so bad  that it’s only a matter of time before they will need to.

County commissioners meet tomorrow

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
strong grumblings that usd 383 will be completely online here very soon

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2020, 01:52:48 PM »
All joco is going back remote in secondary except for Olathe.  Elementary is staying in person.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:59:46 PM by Cire »