Author Topic: Athletes Forcing Change  (Read 94693 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Athletes Forcing Change
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »
Yeah idk about that. Honestly a little surprised by the statements in the article about feeling unsafe since the only publicized stuff I’m aware of were false flags.

Not doubting their feelings obviously, just clearly not a problem unique to KSU’s campus.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Just calling up the black students to make sure they are OK after someone tweeted something mean sounds condescending as eff.

it doesn't need to be a "are you OK?" call, it can be a "we're serious about making you more comfortable on campus, you're an important part of our community, here's what we're doing, how do you feel about it, what would you like to see us do differently?"

Yeah idk about that. Honestly a little surprised by the statements in the article about feeling unsafe since the only publicized stuff I’m aware of were false flags.

Not doubting their feelings obviously, just clearly not a problem unique to KSU’s campus.

The students quoted cited specific non-publicized incidents that happened to them personally. The McNeil tweet just started a dialogue. And you're right that incidents like this are probably not unique to KSU, but maybe KSU could be unique in their response? (in a positive way)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
actually when i looked up Jeff Morris, it probably isn't his job. But more outreach from KSU beyond "hey if you feel threatened, give us a call!" and "here's a list of possibly meaningless actions" would be nice.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 07, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
The Star article mentioned that there are 700 black students on campus. That sounds low. Is that correct?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 07, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
The Star article mentioned that there are 700 black students on campus. That sounds low. Is that correct?
It's about right.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 07, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
Damn. That really sucks. On the other hand, maybe it's consistent with the % of black students in their applicant pool. Idk.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 07, 2020, 11:25:15 AM »
I looked into the enrollment numbers last week and was shocked it's that low. KU is around 1100.  Kansas as a state is a not shocking 5.5% black.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 07, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »
I looked into the enrollment numbers last week and was shocked it's that low. KU is around 1100.  Kansas as a state is a not shocking 5.5% black.

So both schools have the same very low percentage of black students relative to total undergraduate population.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »

So both schools have the same very low percentage of black students relative to total undergraduate population.

Precisely, except KSU has a much lower number despite overall higher enrollment (assuming this is still the case, but I haven't checked lately).

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
Yes.... Both well under the state's demographics.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Damn. That really sucks. On the other hand, maybe it's consistent with the % of black students in their applicant pool. Idk.

Everyone who applies to Kansas State gets accepted, so I would assume it is.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
It shouldn’t be a quest for demographics. Increasing diversity in a school or workplace makes everyone involved demonstrably better. You can’t be a great educational institution by matching the low demographics of the state you’re in.

Obviously it’s an extra challenge for the KS schools but it’s a campaign worth fighting.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »

Precisely, except KSU has a much lower number despite overall higher enrollment (assuming this is still the case, but I haven't checked lately).

KU always has approximately 2,000 more undergraduate students than K-State.   Wyandotte County alone has approximately 50K black residents.   So a couple of hundred more black students at KU which is right down the road isn't impressive to say the least.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »

KU always has approximately 2,000 more undergraduate students than K-State.   Wyandotte County alone has approximately 50K black residents.   So a couple of hundred more black students at KU which is right down the road isn't impressive to say the least.

Not that this is even germane, as I never claimed KU was somehow a model of diversity, but where are you seeing current undergraduate enrollment numbers for both schools? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:49 PM »
It’s a good old fashioned who’s the least diverse between two hick non-diverse schools off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
It’s a good old fashioned who’s the least diverse between two hick non-diverse schools off!

:excited:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 07, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »

Which only makes the handwringing by some about how this is going to impact recruiting at K-State hilarious.   Every P5 public university is pretty much cracker town with maybe a few exceptions, and the privates are even worse.    It's all about what K-State does.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 07, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »

Not that this is even germane, as I never claimed KU was somehow a model of diversity, but where are you seeing current undergraduate enrollment numbers for both schools?

https://air.ku.edu/sites/air.ku.edu/files/docs/2019%20KU%20by%20the%20Numbers.pdf

https://www.k-state.edu/pa/cds/cds2020.pdf

https://www.k-state.edu/pa/data/public.html

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 07, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »

:excited:
:bwpopcorn:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 07, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
Just calling up the black students to make sure they are OK after someone tweeted something mean sounds condescending as eff.

Well, it isn't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »

In this case it doesn't matter how unique it is to Kansas State, that's the university they attend so that's the only school that matters. Of course kso went off the rails when this article was posted. Instead of white K-Staters losing their crap, y'all/they/whatever should be happy the student's love K-State enough to stay and make it a better place.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »

Well, it isn't.

I'll expand here. I don't even know how this could be construed as condescending at all. The university made a decision to keep a vocal and visible white supremacist on campus, making a call to the people of color on campus to have a brief chat about it is the least they can do. It's great humanity and customer service. You can't be an ally if you aren't willing to give a voice to those needing to be represented and to be an active listener when the people you are professing to help wants to talk.

Long story short, none of these problems will be solved by us not talking to people who can actually fix it.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »
I try to empathize with feelings of minority students at state but haven't yet heard much in terms of concrete things that have made some of them feel unsafe. other than 1 of 1,000,000 offensive tweets on twitter one day that happened to come from a supposed KSU student.
is it just they are in such a minority that they are uncomfortable? that kinda makes sense
none of them have been very specific about why they feel uncomfortable. no specific examples other than a tweet
i believe them but also think maybe there is a little bit of jumping on the bandwagon. i know people on twitter have asked a couple of these kids quoted in the paper about specific points that led to feeling of unsafeness and the kids will not respond with specifics. When asked what KSU does not do that other colleges do there was no response.
i hope the administration is communicating with all these kids to enlighten our leaders. i've lived in the south. the cultures and people are OVER THE TOP RACIST. not sure there would even be  a story here if it weren't for a single tweet on a social media platform famous for being offensive

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 07, 2020, 02:11:36 PM »

In this case it doesn't matter how unique it is to Kansas State, that's the university they attend so that's the only school that matters. Of course kso went off the rails when this article was posted. Instead of white K-Staters losing their crap, y'all/they/whatever should be happy the student's love K-State enough to stay and make it a better place.
Well it matters in the sense that many of those students likely aren’t leaving because they don’t expect to feel better off at any of their other options.

KSU is never going to compete with the very top schools for diverse talent, so I’d think positioning itself as better than the alternatives in its tier is a worthy benchmark. Obviously not the end goal, but it’s something.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 07, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »
I think kRusty's follow up was fine. Asking for input on how to improve life at the university is great.  Offering services or even just someone to listen is all great.

The condescension to me (and admit I may have taken kRusty's post the wrong way initially) is assuming that black students want or need to be checked on like the university is their mother.