Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 111568 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #1675 on: September 05, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
stone is one of the more interesting and eclectic commenters on twitter (although i tend to find his graphs almost completely unreadable).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: September 05, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
stone is one of the more interesting and eclectic commenters on twitter (although i tend to find his graphs almost completely unreadable).
Yeah his excess covid death graphs are a lot
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:37:01 PM by michigancat »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: September 05, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »
lutheran, economist, husband....like looking in a mirror!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: September 06, 2020, 01:38:33 AM »

Similar case here in Des Moines. There's video that's in the link on the tweet but long story short. Guy leads cops on a high speed chase, gets pitted when he pulls into a cul-de-sac, guy jumps out of the car with a handgun and runs into someone's back yard. The cops shoot him in the back. The handgun turns out to be a BB gun. You have to think this dude is going into someone's house with that gun. If it's my yard, I want the dude shot before he comes into my house.

https://twitter.com/KCCINews/status/1301983640159739911
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That guy wasn't going in anyone's house or threatening anyone's life. Running from a cop while holding a gun shouldn't be an executable offense.

So they should have given him the chance? None of us, including that dude running with the BB gun, had no idea what he was going to do. I think your view of use of force actually has the potential to make things worse by muddying the waters. Police absolutely should not have do think whether someone fleeing with a gun, especially a suspect who has already shown you he will do whatever it takes to get away from you. I don't think we need to lower the standard for proper use of deadly force because of bad cops. If someone is fleeing with a gun they need to be stopped.

In these two cases, one guy running toward the cops with a gun, the other running into someone else's back yard, these seem like very clear or be killed situations. I refuse to see these in the same light as suffocating someone with your knee for 8 and a half minutes, or shooting an unarmed man in the back, or choking a 140'pound kid to death, or shooting a 12 year old in a park before the police car was even stopped. I don't want to strip police of the right to actually protect themselves or the people they've sworn to protect.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: September 06, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »
So they should have given him the chance? None of us, including that dude running with the BB gun, had no idea what he was going to do. I think your view of use of force actually has the potential to make things worse by muddying the waters. Police absolutely should not have do think whether someone fleeing with a gun, especially a suspect who has already shown you he will do whatever it takes to get away from you. I don't think we need to lower the standard for proper use of deadly force because of bad cops. If someone is fleeing with a gun they need to be stopped.

I don't think you lower standards for use of force, you tear up the manual and create and entirely new approach from scratch. I take less issue with the individual cops' actions in the heat of the moment than I do with the system... Why do we send cops to respond to kids making silly videos holding guns?  What is the net public benefit of a high-speed chase? Could only arming very few cops make interactions with them less intense from the start?

In these two cases, one guy running toward the cops with a gun, the other running into someone else's back yard, these seem like very clear or be killed situations. I refuse to see these in the same light as suffocating someone with your knee for 8 and a half minutes, or shooting an unarmed man in the back, or choking a 140'pound kid to death, or shooting a 12 year old in a park before the police car was even stopped. I don't want to strip police of the right to actually protect themselves or the people they've sworn to protect.

They're actually pretty similar to Tamir Rice in that one had a bb gun and the other was shot 6 seconds after the cop got out of the car when he surprised him around a corner. I agree they're different from cases like Floyd, but that doesn't mean we should accept them and not try to think about what could have been done differently.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: September 06, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
This case is similar in that a cop killed a guy in a situation entirely initiated by the cop. There's a video that I won't share because it includes autopsy photos, but basically this cop thought a guy was riding a bike dangerously, tracked him down, beat the crap out of him with a flashlight and taser, guy took the flashlight and was trying to run away, but now the catch is he had a deadly weapon so the cop can use his gun. Of course no charges for the cop because he was pretty much following protocol but he did cost the city a lot of money and then shot a guy sleeping in a taco bell drive thru a year later.

https://twitter.com/SFGate/status/1302622219919474691

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 07, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »

I don't think you lower standards for use of force, you tear up the manual and create and entirely new approach from scratch. I take less issue with the individual cops' actions in the heat of the moment than I do with the system... Why do we send cops to respond to kids making silly videos holding guns?  What is the net public benefit of a high-speed chase? Could only arming very few cops make interactions with them less intense from the start?

They're actually pretty similar to Tamir Rice in that one had a bb gun and the other was shot 6 seconds after the cop got out of the car when he surprised him around a corner. I agree they're different from cases like Floyd, but that doesn't mean we should accept them and not try to think about what could have been done differently.

They are nothing similar to Tamir Rice and conflating them is the exact bullshit that is troubling. We are not going to water down the murder of a 12 year old black boy by comparing his death to grown men in the process of committing crimes, under the guise of all cops are bad and all shootings are unnecessary. There was no 6 seconds with Tamir Rice, he was instantly assassinated when there was information available that this was a child with a gun. In case you forgot how heinous this was I want you to watch it again so you don't make the foolish mistake of comparing what happened to this boy with some criminal getting shot.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/7Z8qNUWekWE[/youtube]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: September 07, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »

They are nothing similar to Tamir Rice and conflating them is the exact bullshit that is troubling. We are not going to water down the murder of a 12 year old black boy by comparing his death to grown men in the process of committing crimes, under the guise of all cops are bad and all shootings are unnecessary. There was no 6 seconds with Tamir Rice, he was instantly assassinated when there was information available that this was a child with a gun. In case you forgot how heinous this was I want you to watch it again so you don't make the foolish mistake of comparing what happened to this boy with some criminal getting shot.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/7Z8qNUWekWE[/youtube]

It's similar in the fact that the cops thought he was reaching for a gun so it was deemed justifiable. Clearly Rice's death was "worse" than the others, but that doesn't mean the others don't reveal very similar problems with policing.

I'm not making the argument that "all cops are bad". These cops were all doing what they're trained to do, but the way they're trained and utilized is mumped up.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 08, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 08, 2020, 11:41:33 AM »
Seems like a good idea.

https://twitter.com/EliseSchmelzer/status/1303354576750346241

seems great! Kinda surprising it wouldn't eliminate the number of police needed but still a big win.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 08, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
Seems like a good idea.

Yeah it seems 911 calls should immediately be triaged as fire, PD, or mental health situation and assigned to three different responses.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 08, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
Similar case here in Des Moines. There's video that's in the link on the tweet but long story short. Guy leads cops on a high speed chase, gets pitted when he pulls into a cul-de-sac, guy jumps out of the car with a handgun and runs into someone's back yard. The cops shoot him in the back. The handgun turns out to be a BB gun. You have to think this dude is going into someone's house with that gun. If it's my yard, I want the dude shot before he comes into my house.

Big problem on that one is the obvious risks of opening fire in a poorly lit residential neighborhood.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »
Props to the Spanish Fort, AL police and related law enforcement agencies for acting in the exact opposite manner of police in multi-generational Dem strongholds when arresting a highly armed active shooter.   

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
Seems like a good idea.

Yeah it seems 911 calls should immediately be triaged as fire, PD, or mental health situation and assigned to three different responses.

I like this idea.  I'd be interested to see how those 350 calls break down but nice to see it working.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 08, 2020, 11:25:26 PM »

Big problem on that one is the obvious risks of opening fire in a poorly lit residential neighborhood.

Sure. Is the alternative just to let this dude run away, armed?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: September 09, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 09, 2020, 11:38:11 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54041549

Protests Pending Status:  TBD

Only the biggest piece of crap would come away from reading that with a take about protests and race instead of the tragedy of the cops maiming that little boy. This little role you're playing continues to be a great barometer of the depths of human filth.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 09, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »
that seems like a perfect case for the Denver mental health professional response. Also worthy of a protest

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 09, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
that seems like a perfect case for the Denver mental health professional response. Also worthy of a protest

I wonder how this model is going to work for isolated/small communities. I'm skeptical as to how they would find the resources to make this work. Maybe small towns just dispatch EMTs and they themselves call police if they can't contain the situation? EMT training is real lacking though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 09, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »

I wonder how this model is going to work for isolated/small communities. I'm skeptical as to how they would find the resources to make this work. Maybe small towns just dispatch EMTs and they themselves call police if they can't contain the situation? EMT training is real lacking though.

an undertrained EMT is probably better than an undertrained cop with a gun

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: September 09, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »

Yeah

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 09, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54041549

Protests Pending Status:  TBD

Only the biggest piece of crap would come away from reading that with a take about protests and race instead of the tragedy of the cops maiming that little boy. This little role you're playing continues to be a great barometer of the depths of human filth.

Don't even pretend you've turned over a new leaf BoardLunatic.   Everyone recognizes it's a tragedy and that strident steps need to be taken to correct this type of police action.   What also needs to be recognized is that people will likely not be out on the streets burning and looting in Glendale UT.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 09, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »

Yeah

Maybe better training for 911 operators?  How can they not have some kind of better protocol when dealing with mental health issues?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 09, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »

Yeah

Maybe better training for 911 operators?  How can they not have some kind of better protocol when dealing with mental health issues?

Are they the ones who decides who gets dispatched? I have no idea how this works. I always thought the dispatcher takes info from the caller and just blasts it out to all first responders with a radio.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
I don't think 911 operators are the problem here