Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 111762 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #475 on: June 01, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/PradhanAlka/status/1267513761860026368

Translation:  We want unchecked violence and looting night after night after night

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 01, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »
I agree that the protests should have room to breathe.  But if bad actors are trashing/looting the water tower mall, which was happening yesterday afternoon, I don’t really expect cops to sit there and stay back either.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 01, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
'sd, what's going on in Omaha?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 01, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2020, 01:15:00 PM »
I agree that the protests should have room to breathe.  But if bad actors are trashing/looting the water tower mall, which was happening yesterday afternoon, I don’t really expect cops to sit there and stay back either.

Agreed.  Need a good way to nip the bad actors in the bud vs. letting them incite people.  I don't think squeezing a line of cops around them is the best option but I'm only an amauter crowd control professional.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »

There's nothing wrong with them being reactionary, not surprisingly the reactions aren't to crimes but to what they perceive to be threats of potential crime.

Also worth noting that some jurisdictions, like Long Beach, are letting people loot without intervening.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »

There's nothing wrong with them being reactionary, not surprisingly the reactions aren't to crimes but to what they perceive to be threats of potential crime.

Also worth noting that some jurisdictions, like Long Beach, are letting people loot without intervening.

Yeah, my thought is always, "Well, this is what insurance is for." I would hope these downtown business owners are smart enough to have coverage.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 01, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »

Yeah agreed regarding your first paragraph. 

Not that it’s super important, but i wonder how the insurance claims get handled in situations like Long Beach.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 01, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »

Not that it’s super important, but i wonder how the insurance claims get handled in situations like Long Beach.

Retail businesses typically grant security interests in "inventory" to creditors as collateral for extensions of credit. Usually creditors will require that debtors carry a certain level of insurance in connection therewith. Property damage should be covered under a business's main CGL policy (which all should have). Unlike COVID-related claims, these types of claims are not novel and have been dealt with many times in the past. There's not a lot that insurers can do to deny coverage, here. COVID on the other hand...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
That was my main concern, Spracne. That riots/looting would have been some weird loophole or something not clearly declared in the insurance contract.

But you're saying it almost certainly is?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1267514411914342404

Remember all the way back to like 12 hours ago when fuckhead brown poster I have purplewood took me to task about saying that it would take a war for things to change? This is at least the third government official that has publicly advocated for the government engaging in acts of war against their own citizens. You think he's meeting Trump, Barr, and Tom Cotton with that same energy he had from some rando sports message board poster in Iowa?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 01, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
Is there any complete video, maybe time-lapse that shows the entire cycle of one of the weekend's demonstration-protest-riots?  I'd love to see a shot of an empty area just before it becomes the site of something and really see who did what that got it to a stage of bad stuff.

My sense is that if, in anticipation of possible looting/violence/crime, extra cops were at their stations or on call for that work but not preemptively out in riot gear at the start of demonstrations, that'd be win-win.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 01, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »

Well at least insurance companies can’t argue the business owners should have tried protecting their places with machetes!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
That was my main concern, Spracne. That riots/looting would have been some weird loophole or something not clearly declared in the insurance contract.

But you're saying it almost certainly is?

Well, it depends on the language of each contract. Some policies may have certain exclusions that bar coverage, but the standard form policies ought to cover losses due to this.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 01, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »
Interesting developments in my neighborhood today: peaceful protest organized by seemingly well-meaning local residents to start at the nearest train station at 5.  Right wing controlled fake Antifa group advertising with (online) posters that look like BLM designs saying “burn the North side to ashes”
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 01, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 01, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
Interesting developments in my neighborhood today: peaceful protest organized by seemingly well-meaning local residents to start at the nearest train station at 5.  Right wing controlled fake Antifa group advertising with (online) posters that look like BLM designs saying “burn the North side to ashes”

Are you absolutely sure it's not the Russians?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 01, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 01, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »