Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 113515 times)

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The riot thread
« Reply #425 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1267267244029083648

Well, I'll rough ridin' be. If he stayed in this would have been enough to vote for him. It's not going to pass and get signed, but it's the most significant thing anyone in Washington has done.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 01, 2020, 12:41:40 AM »
For all of the purplewoods of the world, these tweets from rusty are how these motherfuckers are acting when they know they are being watched and the scrutiny is higher than it's has ever been in the history of the country. Can you imagine how these people act when not being watched?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 01, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »
NOW, we are FINALLY getting somewhere.  About damn time someone somewhere starts putting a stop to the left’s destruction of America.

https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1267421819511939072
bears are fast...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #429 on: June 01, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
A thread on what it was like in brooklyn last night

https://twitter.com/Toure/status/1267302014293364737

and some videos of cops protecting the people! too bad we don't have a Blaze writer calling it murder!

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1267287782155857923

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1267308341660979200

and really, here's what cops care about:

https://twitter.com/Toure/status/1267326586627534849

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
I mean I’d venture to say the vast majority of what police do is geared towards protecting private property.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 01, 2020, 09:06:23 AM »
I mean I’d venture to say the vast majority of what police do is geared towards protecting private property.

cRusty is just mad that Richmond police were enforcing Governor Black Face's curfew . . . that the black mayor of Richmond doubled down on and said would be enforced.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »

specific types of private property was the point of the tweet

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1267267244029083648

Well, I'll rough ridin' be. If he stayed in this would have been enough to vote for him. It's not going to pass and get signed, but it's the most significant thing anyone in Washington has done.

hopefully we've made some progress in 6 years

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1267455018489315329

On June 19, progressive House Democrat Alan Grayson (FL) offered an amendment to the defense appropriations bill that would block the “transfer” of “aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles), armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, toxicological agents, launch vehicles, guided missiles, ballistic missiles” from the Department of Defense to state and local police forces.

The amendment attracted the support of only 62 members, while 355 voted against it (14 didn’t vote). Included among those voting against it was Rep. William Lacy Clay (D), who represents Ferguson. Clay was joined by every senior member of the Democratic Party leadership team, including Reps. Nancy Pelosi (CA), Steny Hoyer (MD), and Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn (SC). Democrats did form the bulk of support for the amendment (with 43 votes in favor), with 19 Republicans supporting as well—led by libertarian-conservative Rep. Justin Amash (MI), who lamented that “military-grade equipment . . . shouldn’t be used on the street by state and local police” on his Facebook page.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2020, 09:09:40 AM »
#popscollar at talking about the militarization of the police years ago.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #436 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »

Unless there was some havoc being wrecked in Flatbrush, I think cops could rightly make the calculation that a Target was way more likely to get destroyed absent police presence.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 01, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/katem98/status/1267288469132447750/photo/1
Literally nothing could happen that would justify having a sniper posted, short of a suicide bomber
:adios:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 01, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Snipers are commonly posted up at big events. I've seen them at nascar races

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 01, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Snipers are commonly posted up at big events. I've seen them at nascar races
My statement stands

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 01, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »

Unless there was some havoc being wrecked in Flatbrush, I think cops could rightly make the calculation that a Target was way more likely to get destroyed absent police presence.

that's fair I suppose. but maybe there wasn't havoc by the bridge because there weren't cops?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 01, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
A sniper up there to give a birds eye view of the protests for the officers on the ground is probably the least thing I'm worried about from the PD side.

KCPD did a better job yesterday, they let protesters march the streets by closing down streets for them as they moved versus trying to keep them pinned into one space and not giving any good "exit" route for protesters that wanted to leave.

I honestly don't think a line of cops facing off with protesters is the best idea.  Have them staged blocks back and let the protesters have room to breath.  Having 100s of cops staring back at them with riot helmets on seems to turn up the temperature more than it should.

Mix in some cops into the crowd so they can observe the idiots trying to incite the crowd.  99% of the protesters would welcome that as they don't want the violence to escalate either.  Maybe that's a dumb idea and too much risk for those officers, I don't know but the current strategy doesn't seem to be that great.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 01, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
A sniper up there to give a birds eye view of the protests for the officers on the ground is probably the least thing I'm worried about from the PD side.

Binoculars and a radio would work just fine. It’s just another example of over militarization of the police.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
I think St. Luke’s being right there maybe creates some problems in terms of streets being blocked and stuff.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 01, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »

Binoculars and a radio would work just fine. It’s just another example of over militarization of the police.

fair point.  Maybe he was up there due to a US congressman and mayor being on site?

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 01, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
So it appears difficult to define what good 'policing' looks like during a riot. We've seen a few good examples, but I don't see these success stories being implemented on a large scale.

I wonder where things would go if some large city just said, screw it, we are not going to police this crap so have at it. Do protesters continue to burn and loot crap with complete disregard. Or, without being incensed by police, do they protest in a more peaceful fashion with only isolated incidents of aforementioned burning/looting?

Without the police, you probably have civilians start to take matters into their own hands to protect their livelihood/property/businesses. That, you don't want as some folks are not going to show much restraint.

Bottom line, nothing is going to fix this right now. You could charge, convict, and give the 4 cops the death sentence and nothing would change come Friday night in Oakland. You could institute all the legislative crap you want and folks are still going to 'riot not rally.'

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 01, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
I don’t think police can just ignore these types of demonstrations, but the whole concept of riot teams is starting to feel backwards. It’s so rare that police in these situations are attacked unprovoked. The most famous example I can think of is the BLM protests in DFW a few years back where a sniper opened fire on officers solely directing traffic (and NOT in riot gear).

Not sure what would address that type of threat outside of maybe police snipers being posted.

Personally I’d favor businesses just having riot insurance and officers not bothering to intervene when gigantic crowds start tearing stuff up.

Also—and I can’t stress this enough—civil remedies should always be available to go after  rioters and looters.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #447 on: June 01, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
In Chicago with the police distracted / protecting downtown yesterday, there was a shitload of looting out in the neighborhoods which was pretty unrelated to any protests. Like people driving down the street jumping out of cars to go grab crap. I don’t think zero resistance is the answer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 01, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
So it appears difficult to define what good 'policing' looks like during a riot. We've seen a few good examples, but I don't see these success stories being implemented on a large scale.

I wonder where things would go if some large city just said, screw it, we are not going to police this crap so have at it. Do protesters continue to burn and loot crap with complete disregard. Or, without being incensed by police, do they protest in a more peaceful fashion with only isolated incidents of aforementioned burning/looting?

Without the police, you probably have civilians start to take matters into their own hands to protect their livelihood/property/businesses. That, you don't want as some folks are not going to show much restraint.

Bottom line, nothing is going to fix this right now. You could charge, convict, and give the 4 cops the death sentence and nothing would change come Friday night in Oakland. You could institute all the legislative crap you want and folks are still going to 'riot not rally.'

better yet what if a city said "we're going to defund and demilitarize the police and make real reform". You think it's about arresting and convicting the officers, but it's not. That's a symptom, not the disease