Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93613 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #1225 on: November 30, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »
Well, I guess they could have easily played in Cal's stadium.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 30, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 30, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »
I don't think the ban on professional contact sports makes sense and it seems like it's being punitive of and specifically targeting the 49ers and Sharks.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 30, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
I don't think the ban on professional contact sports makes sense and it seems like it's being punitive of and specifically targeting the 49ers and Sharks.

it's all contact sports. They haven't been playing HS sports but SJSU and Stanford were also impacted.

I do know Santa Clara government has a weird relationship with the niners because of stadium disagreements but don't know if that's a county or city thing. I'm pretty sure Santa Clara county was the first place in the country to start shutting down events because of covid so I honestly think it's more of an overly cautious approach from the health department. (Or overly aggressive, depending on your perspective).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 30, 2020, 07:57:07 PM »

it's all contact sports. They haven't been playing HS sports but SJSU and Stanford were also impacted.

I do know Santa Clara government has a weird relationship with the niners because of stadium disagreements but don't know if that's a county or city thing. I'm pretty sure Santa Clara county was the first place in the country to start shutting down events because of covid so I honestly think it's more of an overly cautious approach from the health department. (Or overly aggressive, depending on your perspective).

It's just that a ban on contact sports in one solitary county would have such a small impact on community spread and effects so few people I just don't understand what they're hoping to accomplish by doing it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: November 30, 2020, 08:09:44 PM »

It's just that a ban on contact sports in one solitary county would have such a small impact on community spread and effects so few people I just don't understand what they're hoping to accomplish by doing it.

oh yeah county-by-county ordinances and the complete lack of travel restrictions are silly, at least in places like the Bay Area. I live in Alameda County and have no idea where the border to Santa Clara County even starts without googling (I think Alameda borders Santa Clara). But not sure what else counties can really do to slow the spread.

I think it's worth noting that there's absolutely nothing that would ban the team from having practice in Arizona and flying back to San Jose every night.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 01, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »
I think concern about Covid within the confines of the most medically observed and tested population in the United States is a fantastic use of government oversight. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 01, 2020, 07:51:55 PM »
that's a good one.

Saw the CDC reduced the recommended quarantining period. Collège athletics should enjoy that.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 02, 2020, 06:43:07 AM »
that's a good one.

Saw the CDC reduced the recommended quarantining period. Collège athletics should enjoy that.

Sadly, university officials and local public health officials are not following the science (did I say that right?)

If a person repeatedly tests negative for Covid . . . they don't have Covid (profound).   The Big 10 policy is particularly insane and is not grounded in anything that resembles current understanding of the virus.   

The Bronco's situation made additional mockery of all understanding of the virus and rendered testing protocols meaningless.

Medical professionals are now saying the heart issues are a complete non-factor and as I've said repeatedly, monitoring the heart has been SOP at the vast majority of P5 programs after every illness (Flu, bad cold, strep throat etc. etc) for a decade, if not more.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 13, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 13, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »
what a fun year! I like the flexibility of schedules
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 13, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »

it's weird when you never know when games will be, but i like it.  a random tuesday afternoon nfl game feels like opening a present.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 13, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
Pac 12 should've stuck with their plan and played some chip'd football in spring. Think of the promotion chip kelly could do!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 13, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
Pac 12 should've stuck with their plan and played some chip'd football in spring. Think of the promotion chip kelly could do!

Honestly it would have been awesome

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 13, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »

it's weird when you never know when games will be, but i like it.  a random tuesday afternoon nfl game feels like opening a present.

They're the best.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 13, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
This is so hilarious and stupid and sad at the same time

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1338174986582802433

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1338175363818483712

There's a poster on this blog that will get pissed if you point out how silly this is.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 13, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1338174751592878082

I've been surprised by teams opting out of bowl games. I understand, to some degree, the challenges they've faced this season, but I'm surprised they would pass on those extra practices.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 13, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1338174751592878082

I've been surprised by teams opting out of bowl games. I understand, to some degree, the challenges they've faced this season, but I'm surprised they would pass on those extra practices.

These are assuredly coaches deciding to let the players decide whether or not to play.

Even if a coach does make the decision with the AD and without consulting the players, the upside of opting out of the bowls, giving your players some R & R and letting them go home, could benefit your program more than two weeks of lackluster practice.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 13, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
bowl games are expensive

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: December 13, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
How many teams have to forfeit their bid before we can play in a New Years Six Bowl
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 13, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »
bowl games are expensive
Plus however many weeks of testing. I'm assuming they don't give a crap if the kids get sick for at least a couple months

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 13, 2020, 05:54:03 PM »
bowl games are expensive

Yeah, Gene has said the bowls this year can essentially just cover expenses, I'd assume the NY6 and CFP are exceptions. Of course the biggest expense to the schools, ticket buy guarantees, won't be an issue this year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 14, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
Pac-12 continues to be the biggest joke in college football, next to 21 day quarantine Big-10.

Ohio State fans losing their crap because Harbaugh was talking about how their weightroom and other facilities were open last Friday.