Author Topic: political hobbyist thread  (Read 29359 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: political hobbyist thread
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2022, 08:05:38 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
snooki!  :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2022, 09:17:00 AM »
article further discussing some results from the nyt poll.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1547576438877855748

Recent data from Echelon Insights provide an interesting window on this contrast. Their analysis breaks down the electorate into four quadrants (conservative, populist, libertarian and liberal) and further breaks out a “strong progressive” subset of the liberals who are highly liberal on most issues and also happen to be very highly-educated (and more likely to be white). They are about 10 percent of voters and bear some similarity in size, demographics and inclinations to the “progressive activists” group broken out in the More in Common study—a group with tremendous weight in current Democratic party politics who are described as "deeply concerned with issues concerning equity, fairness, and America's direction today. They tend to be more secular, cosmopolitan, and highly engaged with social media"

is this guy serious?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 15, 2022, 02:29:08 PM »
is this guy serious?

yes, he's serious.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »
Saager w/ a good (imo) monologue on the dems class divide/nyt poll stuff.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 15, 2022, 11:40:05 PM »
He's basically saying pubs are stupid uneducated MAGAs'.   Dems' are of a higher class in 'mercia.  :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2022, 04:46:24 PM »
LMAO wow

Nearby stood a consultant, Nik Palomba, who has known Mr. Shor for more than a decade through a Facebook group for fans of the political writer Matthew Yglesias. Mr. Palomba is very tall. “When the Knicks aren’t in town,” Mr. Shor said, coming up to him, “there’s something like a 70 percent chance that he’s the tallest person in Manhattan. It’s actually very rare to be over seven feet.”

https://twitter.com/willystaley/status/1567917841478713344?s=20&t=YxTlb8gPH4AEJ3m_2GBwCQ

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2022, 08:31:09 PM »
I don't know anything about anything, but geez this SEEMS like it would ruin any chance he had.

https://twitter.com/patdennis/status/1585066053230809090

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2022, 09:16:51 PM »
I don't know anything about anything, but geez this SEEMS like it would ruin any chance he had.

https://twitter.com/patdennis/status/1585066053230809090

he already won the primary, chum1.  they can't hurt him anymore.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2022, 05:20:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1588182079715827714

I don't really understand the point here and I really don't understand why he attributes Democratic messaging on crime to "elites."

I can tell you, from first hand experience that a message of more cops absolutely wouldn't largely play in urban areas. Does this guy think black people forgot what the effect of more cop legislation has done to black communities? You could make the argument that more cops is why Hillary Clinton couldn't mobilize enough black male voters to beat Trump.

The whole premise of this seems flawed. Is he wanting Democrats to adopt talking points about crime that aren't accurate because they actually play better with pollsters? Democrats have never and will never beat Republicans on crime polling because they will not and should not stoke fear, and sensationalizing crime will always win, even in his article he cherry picked some crime stats that represents a snapshot instead of the larger picture.

Crime is one area that democrats actually seem to be interested in making substantive change in, something other than more cops, which we know does little to nothing to curb crime. They need to be patient with the reforms and stay consistent with their messaging and not throw everything away for marginal, at best, short term gains.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 07, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »
I can tell you, from first hand experience that a message of more cops absolutely wouldn't largely play in urban areas. Does this guy think black people forgot what the effect of more cop legislation has done to black communities? You could make the argument that more cops is why Hillary Clinton couldn't mobilize enough black male voters to beat Trump.

i don't know if you're using "urban" to mean black and i haven't seen polling on urban vs people living elsewhere, but i have seen polling that black americans do not wish to reduce police forces.

https://twitter.com/DanKEberhart/status/1587127551100698627

something other than more cops, which we know does little to nothing to curb crime.

we do not know that (paywall, but i've found you can read it on a cell phone if you're willing to read just a few lines at a time).

https://www.slowboring.com/p/defund-police-biden

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 07, 2022, 06:17:30 PM »

i don't know if you're using "urban" to mean black and i haven't seen polling on urban vs people living elsewhere, but i have seen polling that black americans do not wish to reduce police forces.

something other than more cops, which we know does little to nothing to curb crime.

we do not know that (paywall, but i've found you can read it on a cell phone if you're willing to read just a few lines at a time).

It is November 2022, and these asshats are still getting mileage out of the admittedly misguided phrasing of "defund the police," despite the police not actually getting defunded anywhere? And you, gE poster sys, are participating in spreading this bullshit to the Wackys of the world?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 07, 2022, 06:28:06 PM »
It is November 2022, and these asshats are still getting mileage out of the admittedly misguided phrasing of "defund the police," despite the police not actually getting defunded anywhere? And you, gE poster sys, are participating in spreading this bullshit to the Wackys of the world?

i created this thread to discuss the the american electorate and the practitioning of politics.

as it happens, i don't agree with your assessment that it is bullshit that dems are still paying a price for having failed to distance themselves from defund the police, but even if i did, it would still be interesting to discuss how it was affecting them and this would be the correct thread in which to do so.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 07, 2022, 06:38:06 PM »

i created this thread to discuss the the american electorate and the practitioning of politics.

as it happens, i don't agree with your assessment that it is bullshit that dems are still paying a price for having failed to distance themselves from defund the police, but even if i did, it would still be interesting to discuss how it was affecting them and this would be the correct thread in which to do so.

Despite the dem President repeatedly saying he wants to fund the police instead of defund them? That's not enough distance for you?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 07, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »
no, not at all.

it's also dumb because it's oblivious to pretend that what people are discussing is how much money should be allocated to police budgets.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 07, 2022, 09:07:14 PM »
no, not at all.

it's also dumb because it's oblivious to pretend that what people are discussing is how much money should be allocated to police budgets.

I agree with you but I'm sure for very different reasons. I agree in that I don't think the conversation is about how much money is allocated for police budgets. I think the good faith discussion is how those dollars are spent, now much much of them are being spent. There are a lot of very intelligent and reasonable people who think police budgets should spend less money on further militarizing the police, and would instead like to see those dollars spent on things like meaningful and effective training for the police on handling high stress situations, especially training specific to the local communities they “serve”. To have social workers and crisis counselors available to help de-escalate situations that would otherwise be exacerbated by some racist bad person with a god complex drawing a gun on them and barking commands.
And maybe some of those afore mentioned dollars being set aside for actual accountability of the police officers, as in unaffiliated panels to review incidents like alleged police brutality and unjustified uses of force, rather than just blanket qualified immunity for anyone with a badge.

But that conversation can’t happen bc bad actors know that “defund the police” is a dirty word so they’ll just deflect to that bc they don’t want to have an earnest conversation about much needed police reform and they’ll just say OH SO WHAT? YOU WANT TOTAL LAWLESSNESS??!?

But sys I’m sure you don’t agree with my stance so wtf are you even on about bc I’m trying to guess and for the life of me I have no idea what point you’re trying to make?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 07, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »

People are good with more money spent on making cops better at their jobs, not as good with more cops who are shitty at their jobs. The distinction isn't that difficult to comprehend yet people, mostly acting in bad faith, continue to ignore it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2022, 10:28:57 PM »
i mean that police having too much funding, too little funding or just the right amount of funding is completely orthogonal to police being abusive and to any reforms to introduce accountability.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2022, 10:55:12 PM »
Sure, but isn't that the point to be made while rebutting bad faith defund the police discussions instead of acting as if anyone is pushing that as a policy position?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2022, 11:14:54 PM »
Sure, but isn't that the point to be made while rebutting bad faith defund the police discussions instead of acting as if anyone is pushing that as a policy position?

people did push that as a policy position, it was just a stupid policy position.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 08, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »

people did push that as a policy position, it was just a stupid policy position.

What do you think is a smart policy position regarding police funding?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 08, 2022, 07:37:48 AM »
This is fascinating. I thought police reform - like gun control from - was one of those issues where there was like 92% consensus from both sides but unfortunately that 8% is comprised of pos ghouls who, unfortunately, have a tremendous amount of influence on legislation.

But here we have sys, holding the (thin blue) line, and I cannot wait to hear why he thinks it’s a stupid policy. I sincerely have not heard a good faith counter argument and I’m ready for sys to rock my world

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 08, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
This is fascinating. I thought police reform - like gun control from - was one of those issues where there was like 92% consensus from both sides but unfortunately that 8% is comprised of pos ghouls who, unfortunately, have a tremendous amount of influence on legislation.

But here we have sys, holding the (thin blue) line, and I cannot wait to hear why he thinks it’s a stupid policy. I sincerely have not heard a good faith counter argument and I’m ready for sys to rock my world
In my opinion "defund the police" was such a bad slogan that the actual merits of associated policies are irrelevant