Author Topic: first car/truck thread  (Read 6615 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: first car/truck thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2020, 11:58:51 PM »
Jesus, you guys had way cooler cars.  My Dad bought me my first car when I was 15, which was my Grandfather's 1984 Celebrity Eurosport that he was about to trade in.  It cost $2K.  That same summer, he bought himself a $5K John Deere lawn tractor.   :dubious:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 12:00:56 AM »
My 12 year old son has like zero interest in what his first car will be.  It blows my damn mind.  My 15 year old daughter wanted a mini cooper, so we got one of those for her.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:19 AM »
Also, it seems like teenagers these days are like "meh," when it comes to driving.  I was banging on the door of the DMV before it opened on the first day I was eligible. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 12:06:29 AM »
Also, it seems like teenagers these days are like "meh," when it comes to driving.  I was banging on the door of the DMV before it opened on the first day I was eligible.

We’ve had this convo here before. I don’t know if it’s an Oklahoma/Tulsa thing or a kids these days thing. I know some many people around here who have kids that have little or no interest in getting their license. Most have to force their kids because they’re tired of driving them around.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »

We’ve had this convo here before. I don’t know if it’s an Oklahoma/Tulsa thing or a kids these days thing. I know some many people around here who have kids that have little or no interest in getting their license. Most have to force their kids because they’re tired of driving them around.

This exactly here too.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2020, 12:16:59 AM »
That’s nuts. I was at the DMV the day I could get restricted licenses. I never drove illegally under 16 because I worked for my dad and they would suspend your license 6 months if you got caught. My restricted auto-turn full on my 16th birthday, which was a Sunday. At midnight I drove to Hardee’s because I could.

I have had people down here tell me there are all kinds of rules when you’re under 18 about passenger restrictions & driving curfews so they still have to drive their kids around in the evening anyway. There are loop-holes for mopeds. My wife and I fight over if I can get the girls a moped for when they are 15/16 to drive to school, but I think I’ll lose if the loophole is still around.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2020, 12:38:09 AM »

Absolutely true of kids these days. They're getting their licences at an older age now. People say one part of it is that they're better connected with friends via technology and don't have as much need to go out.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2020, 08:37:17 AM »
That’s nuts. I was at the DMV the day I could get restricted licenses. I never drove illegally under 16 because I worked for my dad and they would suspend your license 6 months if you got caught. My restricted auto-turn full on my 16th birthday, which was a Sunday. At midnight I drove to Hardee’s because I could.

I have had people down here tell me there are all kinds of rules when you’re under 18 about passenger restrictions & driving curfews so they still have to drive their kids around in the evening anyway. There are loop-holes for mopeds. My wife and I fight over if I can get the girls a moped for when they are 15/16 to drive to school, but I think I’ll lose if the loophole is still around.

Take it from me, moped is not a super terrific idea.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
'92 white Chevy Lumina Z34, with a bra on the grill most of the time. Handed down to me from my older brother. Used to think it was fun going 75 down a highway at night with headlights turned off. Also went 100 down a dirt road multiple times to see how much air I could get over the hump where the two roads cross. So dumb.

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
first car/truck thread
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
The Z34 is a great HS sled. Like a Z28 but 6 more. sd bro’s first car. His was silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2020, 05:15:58 PM »
Man some of you guys had some absolute pussy magnets for a first ride.  Me, not so much.  Feast your eyes on the 1983 Mazda 626:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »
I bought this beast from my grandma. '80 Corolla 4-banger manual.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Karlen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
I was obviously forced to drive a ton of ancient f150s for a bit but at like 15 I bought this lightly used POA. got a loan from the local bank. $225 a month. remember the payment coupons. rough ridin' sick. it was fast AF. burnout city. got a clarion cd player and some polk pounders. overdrive pulley on the supercharger. hypertech performance module. flowmasters. holy crap guys. wow.

Ah, the Supercoupe. My brother had one, so I had to find one too. Got mine for $1k, blew it up the day I got it. Those things were neat, but good luck keeping it from blowing headgaskets. They also had a super weirdo cult following.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
My high school was old car roulette. Every month someone threw a rod and you hoped it wasn’t you.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2020, 06:58:31 AM »
1970 Chevy Nova. Green with a 307 and automatic. Wasn't nice like this one but I drive it for four or five years.

Then I bought a new S10 extended cab when I graduated from navy nuke school. KSU purple of course

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
I was obviously forced to drive a ton of ancient f150s for a bit but at like 15 I bought this lightly used POA. got a loan from the local bank. $225 a month. remember the payment coupons. rough ridin' sick. it was fast AF. burnout city. got a clarion cd player and some polk pounders. overdrive pulley on the supercharger. hypertech performance module. flowmasters. holy crap guys. wow.

Ah, the Supercoupe. My brother had one, so I had to find one too. Got mine for $1k, blew it up the day I got it. Those things were neat, but good luck keeping it from blowing headgaskets. They also had a super weirdo cult following.
lmao, I blew three head gaskets. Had the first two fixed and sold it after the third one for $500 (clarion disc player sold separately for $100).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2020, 09:45:05 AM »
1982 Dodge Charger

Mine was white with black decals.  Was my parents and I wrecked it while jackassing around on country roads.  They gave it to me wrecked and I had to fix it up.  Drove it all through high school and half of college.

Second was a stepside half ton Chevy I bought in MHK and drove until I was married and made enough dough to buy a new truck.

@mikec2w

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
First car: 1997 Ford Explorer, V8, AWD.  Was my mom's and I split it with my younger brother when he was old enough. 

Second car: 1992 Buick Park Avenue -- Got it from my grandmother with 70k miles in 2006 or so
:adios:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
I am a sucker for those Buick's and their silky smooth rides.  crap, I may buy myself an older Lacrosse.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »
Like it says, an exclusive club. Broke the back window out if it by tapping brakes too fast with buddies in the bed shooting doves off power lines.[

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »
I had two of these.. this was the second one my first the engine blew and was a champagne gold color. was great because some idiot friends of mine thought it was a porsche.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
I had two of these.. this was the second one my first the engine blew and was a champagne gold color. was great because some idiot friends of mine thought it was a porsche.

lexus coupe?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
I am a sucker for those Buick's and their silky smooth rides.  crap, I may buy myself an older Lacrosse.

Buick was/is the most popular American car in China.  The Lacrosse is the most popular luxury car in China.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »

lexus coupe?

*whispers* zoom zoom