Author Topic: ITT: Libs and Closet Fascists (BIRM) Losing Their F’ing Minds Over Covid-19  (Read 7108 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Allowing liquor stores to stay home also helps to keep people/bars from breaking rules.

Victims of domestic/child abuse are going to increase and be an issue during a stay at home order regardless of anything.  If you actually give a crap more than making a sarcastic joke at their expense, you can donate at mesikansas.org.  They also are in particular need of cleaning/sanitation supplies.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Some of the closures are definitely arbitrary. Dry cleaners are considered essential business here.

I think leaving all consumable products available (and methods to ship them) makes perfect sense, though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Why boozing up is essential while we’re destroying other businesses. I googled it and apparently we have to keep supplying booze addicts so they don’t go through withdrawal. Not kidding. Do I have that right? Seems more likely to me that they’ve just got better lobbyists.

Keeping alcoholics from withdrawal is honestly a good reason. It's a really nasty withdraw for a lot of folks, like you'd seriously end up with a tons of people going to the hospital if they don't drink a fifth of whiskey a day.

And obviously allowing booze makes sheltering in place a lot more pleasant for people who manage their alcohol use more responsibly.

Not sure who you think they have better lobbyists than?

I think this has been tried on a smaller scale in certain cities (liberal enclaves), but I think this might be the first time we’ve ever decided that it’s best to keep giving the addicts their fix. Should work out well for all victims of domestic and child abuse.

Wichita has multiple methadone clinics. Obviously not exactly the same as selling opioids legally to anyone at a store, but as a society we've sort of made a contract with alcoholics that we'll let them buy as much as they want for their addiction as long as everything else they're doing is legal. Taking that away cold turkey would legitimately put a lot of people in the hospital.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Alcohol is one of a very few addictive substances where the withdrawal itself can be fatal
:adios:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
So weird.  Want businesses open but mad businesses are open.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Alcohol is one of a very few addictive substances where the withdrawal itself can be fatal
Yeah detoxing millions of addicts while also trying to keep hospitals empty is a great idea.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Only the businesses I like, and churches.  But close abortion clinics because Jesus

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile

I think he wants us godless, hypocritical libs to be mad that liquor stores are open

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
It's important to keep in mind that kdub was very upset when during a federal government shutdown (something he views as a positive) the national parks system was closed.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
yes it is virtue signaling. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Don't grocery stores sell alcohol? How would you purpose letting grocery stores and gas stations sell alcohol but not let liquor stores? What will be interesting to see is what happens at these places that are now restricting items that can be sold within stores.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There are a lot of Pit’rs whose raison d'etre seems to be taking comments wildly out of context and or distorting them to make a snarky comment.

The point I was making with liquor stores, and numerous other businesses, is that the distinction between “essential vs non-essential” business seems highly arbitrary and unlikely to meaningfully slow the spread when you consider how many “essential businesses” remain open. I think it would have been smarter to identify and restrict certain businesses that are both high-risk for spread (due to close personal contact, food, etc.) and non-essential. Gyms, movie theaters, and restaurant dine-in service, for example, made sense. But closing down thousands of small businesses (just in Kansas alone) when the grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. remain open is both arbitrary and illogical. And liquor stores aren’t even “essential” in my opinion. My goodness, I think Rusty just compared liquor stores to methadone clinics! :lol:

No, snarky dumbasses, I’m not mad that those businesses are open, I’m pointing out that closing down other business when so many high-density, high-contact businesses stay open is arbitrary, illogical, and likely ineffectual.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yes it is virtue signaling.

This is pretty rich. I think the folks screaming about how “if it saves one life” it’s worth trashing the economy (Gov. Cuomo et al) is the ultimate virtue signaling.

You people have abandoned all reason and perspective. It’s really something to behold. There is a sensible middle-way here, and you all are just running off the cliff.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We'll find out just how much Useful Idiot Nation has been assimilated into THE MAN in the next 6 to 12 months.   As both Google and Apple announced a partnership to track all the Typhoid and Non Typhoid Mary's out there.     Toss in Useful Idiot Techno Oligarch Hero (Useful Idiot TechBots used to hate the man) Bill Gates and his digital "Your Clean" certificate for good measure.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
There are a lot of Pit’rs whose raison d'etre seems to be taking comments wildly out of context and or distorting them to make a snarky comment.

The point I was making with liquor stores, and numerous other businesses, is that the distinction between “essential vs non-essential” business seems highly arbitrary and unlikely to meaningfully slow the spread when you consider how many “essential businesses” remain open. I think it would have been smarter to identify and restrict certain businesses that are both high-risk for spread (due to close personal contact, food, etc.) and non-essential. Gyms, movie theaters, and restaurant dine-in service, for example, made sense. But closing down thousands of small businesses (just in Kansas alone) when the grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. remain open is both arbitrary and illogical. And liquor stores aren’t even “essential” in my opinion. My goodness, I think Rusty just compared liquor stores to methadone clinics! :lol:

No, snarky dumbasses, I’m not mad that those businesses are open, I’m pointing out that closing down other business when so many high-density, high-contact businesses stay open is arbitrary, illogical, and likely ineffectual.

In Missouri at least even essential businesses are required to implement social distancing measures for customers and employees.  Liquor stores are not high-density of the ones I've been in but I've seen others that are limiting the # of people in the store to keep people safe.

I'm interested what type of store you are so bent out of shape that's now closed and how would you have tried to limit social interactions to help control this.  Should Home Depot be open? 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
These shutdown decisions are being made with almost no reliable data. And I sympathize with that. To some extend, you have to plan for “the worst” of you don’t have a complete picture. But the worst also has to include plunging into another Great Depression.

I thought this was an interesting read.

Virtually All of the COVID-19 Numbers Are Bullshit

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
We'll find out just how much Useful Idiot Nation has been assimilated into THE MAN in the next 6 to 12 months.   As both Google and Apple announced a partnership to track all the Typhoid and Non Typhoid Mary's out there.     Toss in Useful Idiot Techno Oligarch Hero (Useful Idiot TechBots used to hate the man) Bill Gates and his digital "Your Clean" certificate for good measure.

dax just so you know, it was amazing not having you here for a few weeks.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

In Missouri at least even essential businesses are required to implement social distancing measures for customers and employees.  Liquor stores are not high-density of the ones I've been in but I've seen others that are limiting the # of people in the store to keep people safe.

I'm interested what type of store you are so bent out of shape that's now closed and how would you have tried to limit social interactions to help control this.  Should Home Depot be open?

Well, let’s start with roughly 75% of any stores in any retail center that are currently closed. There are too many to name. Yes, I think Home Depot should be open (it is). I think most businesses should be open subject to basic social distancing measures (more cleaning, cue spacing, etc.) except for certain businesses that are both high-density / high contact and non-essential (that would be things like I mentioned: gyms, dine-in service, etc.)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Well, let’s start with roughly 75% of any stores in any retail center that are currently closed. There are too many to name. Yes, I think Home Depot should be open (it is). I think most businesses should be open subject to basic social distancing measures (more cleaning, cue spacing, etc.) except for certain businesses that are both high-density / high contact and non-essential (that would be things like I mentioned: gyms, dine-in service, etc.)
they are closed.  Good.  Agreed.  Nobody likes any of this.  Everybody wants every store open.  It sucks.  Let's move on.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Kdub, I think it's weird that you keep bitching about what is open instead of just telling us what you want open (besides gathering spots like ski resorts obv)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kdub, I think it's weird that you keep bitching about what is open instead of just telling us what you want open (besides gathering spots like ski resorts obv)

As I’ve said above, a couple times now, I want everything to be open except for businesses that are both non-essential and are high risk of spread due to high-density and high-contact. I listed examples. Are you asking me to list the stuff I’d personally like to be open? Why? This isn’t about me, at least directly. It’s about the economy at large, which affects all of us.

Ok so personally, I’m missing the gym and the barber, but I understand why those are closed. I think those are the only closures that directly, personally affect me. How about you?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

As I’ve said above, a couple times now, I want everything to be open except for businesses that are both non-essential and are high risk of spread due to high-density and high-contact. I listed examples. Are you asking me to list the stuff I’d personally like to be open? Why? This isn’t about me, at least directly. It’s about the economy at large, which affects all of us.

Ok so personally, I’m missing the gym and the barber, but I understand why those are closed. I think those are the only closures that directly, personally affect me. How about you?

You don't miss the fellowship of attending Church services?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

I want everything to be open except for businesses that are both non-essential and are high risk of spread due to high-density and high-contact.

that's literally what is happening in every state. Move this whole thread to the common ground thread and quit trying to pin "the other side" on closing businesses.  Nobody wants this.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

I'm trying to get you to say a few specifics, because frankly shitloads of stores are still open. I think it should be more restricted, but it's doing well enough I suppose.