Author Topic: working from home 101  (Read 13673 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: working from home 101
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »
I don't particularly like my work and am only self motivated to do things I enjoy. If we are forced to work from home I'll probably do just enough to slip through the cracks for a couple months before getting fired.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 07:10:09 PM »
I think it's crazy to make it optional. If you can get ANYTHING done at home your employer should make it mandatory

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »
I think it's crazy to make it optional. If you can get ANYTHING done at home your employer should make it mandatory
I could get a couple hours in, probably.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
Sounds like the company is suggesting to remain productive based upon your options of where you can work, to remain profitable through this situation. Sound logic.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
It’s very logical for the partners who want to make the same fat profits they enjoyed last year. Everyone is kind of seeing that.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »
I’m not a partner or whatever, but I am very concerned about how this will effect the economy and how it will effect the progress I’ve made with my company. I’m up for promotion and I’m selfishly thinking about how this will effect my family, if we all come out of this decently. I think it’s fair to question what’s happening and to ask everyone to continue to try their hardest and not take advantage of the situation. Science would probably suggest: people will slack off.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
Came home and Mrs 8 has company issued Microsoft Surface to test work from home.  #2 son  has instrux on how to login to his company's system.   

He still must risk infection by going in each week to print checks.

My office in the span of 24 hours went from a 50 pct work from home target to everyone GTFO.  We cant procure enough RSA fobs to get everyone access.

I just want refund of 1% KC earnings tax when this is over in July.

Got caught drinking a Corona on 3 pm VCC last week while still on WFH during hip recovery.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 10:31:24 PM »
I’m not a partner or whatever, but I am very concerned about how this will effect the economy and how it will effect the progress I’ve made with my company. I’m up for promotion and I’m selfishly thinking about how this will effect my family, if we all come out of this decently. I think it’s fair to question what’s happening and to ask everyone to continue to try their hardest and not take advantage of the situation. Science would probably suggest: people will slack off.
Listen Jack, was a good one and I thought the same as it sounds so it would probably have to go back and to figure out how the other things would get back in time and I think it’s pretty obvious to the other people who are probably not going there to get them back in time to do with the kids.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »
Been wfh for two weeks now. Gambling starts around 1230 or 1 Wednesday through Friday. Drinking depends on carpool duties for the kid. Can't be getting a DUI.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »
Science would suggest that many many more people will die if people continue to go about business as usual. 

*affect
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 11:19:42 PM »
Lol. Good stuff, 8man. Sounds like catastrophe works for a shitty company, but keep going with the spell checks. I’m more concerned about his happiness right now.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 12:26:35 AM »
Lol. Good stuff, 8man. Sounds like catastrophe works for a shitty company, but keep going with the spell checks. I’m more concerned about his happiness right now.
Ain't nothing wrong with getting blasted on a Friday :cheers:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 01:52:31 AM »
Working from home, aka, playing Mario kart with my kids cause they are out of school.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Hmm, going to need another Xbox if bv shuts it down

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »
Sent our department home yesterday for at minimum three weeks. They would have just freaked out and talked to each other about how they shouldn't be there anyways.

Most jobs can be done anywhere now and there is no reason social distancing should negatively impact many industries but RIP the hospitality industry. This is like 9/11 x1000000

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
Yesterday morning my boss had me go around to our team's operations associates and confirm who all has a laptop and internet access at home.  I know this was being done all over the company but still no announcement about working from home next week.  I'm a little confused.  Oh well.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
Yesterday morning my boss had me go around to our team's operations associates and confirm who all has a laptop and internet access at home.  I know this was being done all over the company but still no announcement about working from home next week.  I'm a little confused.  Oh well.

Leaders who don't communicate are idiots. Breeds confusion and doubt.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »
Welp my 2009 iMac cannot even remote access lmao

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »
Damn if I could only figure out how to build buildings from home

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
Just upgraded my cox internet and bought luigis mansion 3

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Just upgraded my cox internet and bought luigis mansion 3
Wishing I had an x box or something

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
Cerner just sent out an email. All employees required to work from home for next 2 weeks ...

from a co worker whose spouse works at Cerner.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
Received as an email, voicemail, and text message from #1:

we are now strongly recommending that everyone in our U.S. and London offices work from home starting tomorrow to the greatest extent possible.

Basically all the people I work with:

No crap

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 12:45:39 AM »
So, there are probably a lot of people with kids in the house that are out of school, trying to actually make a living while the world melts away. I am a work-from-home veteran. Here are my tips:

1) If at all possible, establish a place in your house that is your office. Wake up, have breakfast, and then "commute" to your office, even if it means just walking up stairs to the guest room or kicking your spouse out of your bedroom.

2) Your kids / family are not allowed to bother you while you are at the office. If they need something, they should send you an email or text and ask you for help. If it makes sense to take some time out of your work day, "commute" home, fix the issue, and then "commute" back to work.

3) Interruptions to your work day without the proper notification should not be tolerated unless someone is bleeding. Try to foster an understanding that this is just like mommy / daddy being 15 miles away at the office, and only bother me when it would make sense to call my office and ask for help.

4) Get your stuff done, and then "commute" home at the end of the day. Once you are no longer in your office, treat your home like you have treated it before. Answer any emails you would have, etc, but have the mindset that you are now home, and no longer on the job.

tl;dr - it is better to set up a barrier between home life and work life, even if you never leave the house. Blnding those two during the work day and after the work day is likely to lead to more strife.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite