Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070777 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #18350 on: September 17, 2021, 06:24:29 PM »
Why even care though? The recommendation is based on the fact there’s such small indication the booster would do any good in otherwise healthy people at the point.

That's not what the recommendation was based on at all. This is what the FDA panel determined
By a vote of 16 to 2, members of the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee declined to recommend a third dose of the Pfizer (PFE.N)/BioNTech vaccine to anyone age 16 and older who received their second shot at least six months earlier.

The panelists suggested the evidence supporting broad approval was inadequate, and they wanted to see more safety data, especially concerning the risk of heart inflammation in younger people after vaccination.

FWIW, Pfizer had a study showing that a third booster provided up to 9 times the antibodies of someone with two shots.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #18351 on: September 17, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »
I don’t think it’s that different than what I said. Here’s another quote:

“We’re being asked to approve this as a three-dose vaccine for people 16 years of age and older, without any clear evidence if the third dose for a younger person when compared to an elderly person is of value,” said committee member Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-advisory-group-rejects-covid-boosters-limits-high-risk-groups-rcna2074

And the data you mention from Pfizer just begs the question. Does having 9x the antibodies actually make a difference in an otherwise healthy person? It strikes me as similar to those supplements that have 3000% your daily recommended value of vitamin C.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18352 on: September 17, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »
Why even care though? The recommendation is based on the fact there’s such small indication the booster would do any good in otherwise healthy people at the point.

i disagree that the data do not indicate that a booster is beneficial in healthy people.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18353 on: September 17, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »
Obviously opinions differ, but the underwhelming evidence of a benefit is a big part of the decision here. I honestly figured that would be common sense (why would they deny a recommendation of something where the benefits clearly outweighed the risks of side effects) but I also posted the quote earlier.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18354 on: September 17, 2021, 07:56:46 PM »
the quote doesn't say the same thing that you said.  and i don't know what the rationale for not issuing a recommendation for a booster as of now, but there is pretty unambiguous evidence of a immunity benefit.  people can judge for themselves whether the magnitude of that benefit is compelling or not. 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18355 on: September 17, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
I feel better doing stuff with the multitude of ’chips protecting me.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18356 on: September 17, 2021, 10:31:53 PM »
the quote doesn't say the same thing that you said.  and i don't know what the rationale for not issuing a recommendation for a booster as of now, but there is pretty unambiguous evidence of a immunity benefit.  people can judge for themselves whether the magnitude of that benefit is compelling or not.
Mind sharing the clear benefit that snuck past the FDA advisors?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #18357 on: September 18, 2021, 06:19:46 AM »
Trust the experts until the experts disagree with your opinion. What in the world, sys?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18358 on: September 18, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
Did my first bar checking for vaccine proof last night, which was great. My guests had had to comply with my don’t-come-around-me policy for unvaccinated, but dax has been warning me that the black ones might’ve lied. So this made it where an independent 3rd party checked, and they are indeed truth-tellers!

Still 100% of people I associate with are chip’d, across all races!

In a month, all the bars and restaurants and such here will be checking for ’chips.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle-will-require-proof-of-vaccination-at-bars-restaurants-and-more

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18359 on: September 18, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
Did my first bar checking for vaccine proof last night, which was great. My guests had had to comply with my don’t-come-around-me policy for unvaccinated, but dax has been warning me that the black ones might’ve lied. So this made it where an independent 3rd party checked, and they are indeed truth-tellers!

Still 100% of people I associate with are chip’d, across all races!

In a month, all the bars and restaurants and such here will be checking for ’chips.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle-will-require-proof-of-vaccination-at-bars-restaurants-and-more

King county, WA mandate - NAZI'S!!! FASCISM!!
2,842 Views | 40 Replies
GenericAggie5:11p, 9/17/21
This is scary stuff. My daughter goes to UW and is basically being forced to leave school. She won't get vaccinated. She can't go anywhere. What an awful, ridiculous, mandate. Her body. Her choice.

https://kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/constantine/news/release/2021/September/16-proof-of-vaccination-negative-test.aspx

King County to require proof of vaccination or negative test for many outdoor and indoor events and establishments to address COVID-19 spread

From the site -

For people who are unvaccinated or cannot prove vaccine status, they will be required to show proof of a negative PCR COVID-19 test in the last 72 hours, or a negative rapid test result from a testing provider conducted on site at an event or establishment just prior to entry. Individuals under 12 years of age, who are not eligible to be vaccinated, are not required to be tested for entry.

Blah blah
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18360 on: September 18, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
:emawkid:

See ya, genericaggie5daughter.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18362 on: September 18, 2021, 04:44:57 PM »
Mind sharing the clear benefit that snuck past the FDA advisors?

https://bionewscentral.com/third-dose-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-boosts-neutralizing-antibodies-against-sars-cov-2/
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114255?query=featured_home
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1017309/S1362_PHE_duration_of_protection_of_COVID-19_vaccines_against_clinical_disease.pdf

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18363 on: September 18, 2021, 04:52:50 PM »
Trust the experts until the experts disagree with your opinion. What in the world, sys?

you've gotten the wrong impression of me if you think i advocate uncritically deferring to expert opinion - although in this case expert opinion is pretty divided.

nonetheless, it appears i was the victim of fake news.  there is no need for me to shield my already vaccinated status to get a third shot, i'm already on the approved list - along with at least 80% or so of american adults.  i think i qualify in at least two and possibly as many as four ways so i should be good when i decide to get my booster - thought they may well opened it up for everyone else by then anyways.

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1438966113958760455

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: September 18, 2021, 05:13:39 PM »
Glad you’ve come around!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: September 18, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18366 on: September 18, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
I thought after doing some digging you decided you agreed with the advisory panel’s recommendation. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: September 18, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »
i found out that their recommendation did not conflict with what i was already planning on doing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18368 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:28 PM »
Well regardless, glad you’re on the side of the experts on this one. And I hope you’re not supplementing with dewormer in anticipation that they’ll come around on that too.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: September 19, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »

Guess which one isn’t masking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile