Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1071065 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10475 on: October 05, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »
It feels like we're still missing a big variable in this fight.  Half a year into limiting crowds, social distancing, etc. and months into mandatory mask wearing in many areas and we're still seeing this thing slow burn throughout the world. 

We've basically eliminated touching of surfaces spreading it.

I don't think surfaces have ever been a significant source of spread. The Japanese got it right: loud talking, close proximity, and indoor spaces with poor ventilation promote spread regardless of how clean the door handles are. It shouldn't surprise anyone that countries with wide open bars are seeing increases in cases.

Yeah that's what I meant.  Scientifically we've found surfaces aren't spreading it, not that our extra cleaning theatre fixed it.

Japan is definitely in better shape but it's still steady # of cases past few months.  Looks like their restaurants and bars went back to normal in September though.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-eases-business-restrictions-despite-COVID-19-risk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: October 05, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
It feels like we're still missing a big variable in this fight.  Half a year into limiting crowds, social distancing, etc. and months into mandatory mask wearing in many areas and we're still seeing this thing slow burn throughout the world. 

I don't think surfaces have ever been a significant source of spread. The Japanese got it right: loud talking, close proximity, and indoor spaces with poor ventilation promote spread regardless of how clean the door handles are. It shouldn't surprise anyone that countries with wide open bars are seeing increases in cases.

Yeah that's what I meant.  Scientifically we've found surfaces aren't spreading it, not that our extra cleaning theatre fixed it.

Japan is definitely in better shape but it's still steady # of cases past few months.  Looks like their restaurants and bars went back to normal in September though.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-eases-business-restrictions-despite-COVID-19-risk

yeah their steady number of cases is around 4 per million while the US is around 130. You can probably get away with bars being open and manage contact tracing when the numbers are that low.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: October 05, 2020, 11:05:21 AM »

yeah their steady number of cases is around 4 per million while the US is around 130. You can probably get away with bars being open and manage contact tracing when the numbers are that low.

True.  Even so they were able to get it down using the same restrictions the US has (proximity, indoor spaces, masks), albeit we're much more piecemeal.  Just seems like our current mitigations aren't quite doing it.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10479 on: October 05, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »
Could they have better ventilation protocols with more outdoor air to dilute and better filtration to capture? I'm no expert on Japanese commercial building codes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »

True.  Even so they were able to get it down using the same restrictions the US has (proximity, indoor spaces, masks), albeit we're much more piecemeal.  Just seems like our current mitigations aren't quite doing it.

most of the US does not have those restrictions and it was always easier for Japan because it never got out of control nearly as bad as it did here (and also their local public health model seems to be a lot better suited for their "cluster busting"). Remember they had that cruise ship like right off the bat and were on alert while we're just derping our way through a fake China ban waaaaaaay too late.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: October 05, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
like I get it's outside and all but come on

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1313140406738128898

also eff off with calling whatever that was a "gaggle"

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
oh he can eff right off

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: October 05, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
Man I was wondering earlier why we can't get this under control?  Now thanks to the President I know now I don't have to care, I'm not afraid anymore!

All these COVID patients and dead people just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10485 on: October 05, 2020, 02:00:27 PM »
You knew that was going to be the message out of this.

It's not so bad!  MAGA

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: October 05, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »
How long did it take for Cain to die?

A lot longer than I would have guessed. Oof.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1313192280971452418

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: October 05, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
yeah the trump tweets are incredibly ominous.  He should not do that

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: October 05, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »

there's always a tweet :ohno:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: October 05, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »

It's not so bad!  MAGA
Equal parts predictable, infuriating and tragic

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: October 05, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »

It's not so bad!  MAGA

Which is why I wanted it to knock him on his ass for a bit. Cause that was always the play
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: October 05, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »

It's not so bad!  MAGA

Which is why I wanted it to knock him on his ass for a bit.

It's not too late for that

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: October 05, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
I think him dying soon would over time prevent exponentially more people from dying. So root however you want, but ethically you’re clear death wish’n.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: October 05, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
I think him dying soon would over time prevent exponentially more people from dying. So root however you want, but ethically you’re clear death wish’n.

yeah what's happening now is basically worst case scenario.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: October 05, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »

He knows his comedy. His impending death wouldn't be quite as funny if he didn't set up the punchline the way he's doing it.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: October 05, 2020, 03:06:00 PM »
Could they have better ventilation protocols with more outdoor air to dilute and better filtration to capture? I'm no expert on Japanese commercial building codes.

i think part of it is that japan - in general - has more of a "don't be a pain in the ass" mentality. like where in the US we value being loud and obnoxious and doing whatever tf we want when we want, in japan i think as a society that tends to be frowned upon so ppl probably aren't out being selfish defiant b-holes just because freedom or w/e.  idk maybe puni can confirm or deny?

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: October 05, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »
How long did it take for Cain to die?

A lot longer than I would have guessed. Oof.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1313192280971452418

his tweets still model the same upbeat tone as was displayed during his recovery.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: October 05, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »
If this cocktail can keep a an obese elderly man alive and kicking after Covid symptoms and low initial blood oxygen saturation it’s going to make a quadrillion dollars right?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: October 05, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
If this cocktail can keep a an obese elderly man alive and kicking after Covid symptoms and low initial blood oxygen saturation it’s going to make a quadrillion dollars right?

If nothing else, it’s now Walter Reed’s sig male genitals.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: October 05, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »
"Don't be afraid of COVID!!" is basically the absolute dumbest and worst rough ridin' thing that could have been said, so of course he goes out and says it.   :facepalm: